Remote reporting station

  • Susan Easom, Cardiorespiratory @KMH
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Group,
      We are a UK District General Hospital with 3 different makes of Echo machine. At the moment networking is out of the question, so are wondering if there is a remote reporting unit available that we would be able to view the MO discs from all of our machines (all the machines use the same size disc). Would it mean buying a unit eg Xcelera, and then having to buy the software from each company and so inflating the cost ?
      Thanks for any ideas
      Sue.
    • Hogan, Candy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
        Heartlab can handle all different types of Echo systems. They do not need to be all the same. It has the best reporting system available.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
          Sue,

          ComPACS is a relatively new vendor and modality impartial DICOM PACS
          solution with cardiology focus.

          ComPACS reads DICOM files from all image modalities... as well as HP TIFF
          and ATL DEFF native ultrasound image formats... from Magneto Optical Disk
          (MOD) as requested.

          In addition, to make "Sneaker Net" image transfers efficient... ComPACS
          automatically detects MOD, CD and DVD insertions into its work station(s)...
          immediately opening TIFF/DEFF files... converting these TIFF/DEFF to DICOM
          on-the-fly... creating a patient folder where none exists... and inserts
          these DICOM converted patient images and report files into a DICOM directory
          requiring only one user command for the entire process.

          This invites a very large installed base of HP and ATL users into the world
          of DICOM PACS without the need to purchasing expensive upgrades or system
          replacement.

          From my investigations, it appears other vendors read HP TIFF and ATL DEFF
          image files. However, those I have evaluated save TIFF/DEFF files in these
          native image formats. This means you probably won't be able move your
          images from one PACS vendor's platform to another.

          The DICOM standard was developed to allow you to move images and information
          across vendor all PACS platforms so this is of great importance in the
          writer's opinion. Investment in any solution that does not DICOM convert
          TIFF/DEFF files will become obsolete as the PACS adoption rate increases and
          moving images is a routine process.

          Moreover, and as far as I know, ComPACS is presently the only solution that
          converts and archives report data in DICOM versus proprietary file formats.
          This also prevents moving these files across vendor platforms and presents
          risk of losing linkage to patient's image files.

          ComPACS parses measurements and computations performed by you at your
          ultrasound system... populating this information onto your customized report
          templates in the HL7 standard field names... followed by standard deviation
          values in parenths.

          In addition, ComPACS is just releasing a report package featuring menu
          selection of anatomically linked "Findings", "Qualifiers" and "Conclusions"
          (linked to ICD9 codes for USA users). This test database can be modified by
          users.

          All of the above and developing features are designed to expedite consistent
          and accurate archives as well as query and retrieve of patient images and
          information.

          For info on ComPACS outside the USA goto [ www.medimatic.com ]

          For info inside the USA call (888) 287-8700

          I have attached a virus free PDF format product overview. I hope this
          helps...

          CW ;-)

          > Heartlab can handle all different types of Echo systems. They do not need
          to be all the same. It has the best reporting system available.

        • ADAMS JUSTIN (Doncaster and Bassetlaw Ho
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
            Sue

            If you just want to view the images on a PC, I think you can use MedArchive Viewer.

            Justin

            > We are a UK District General Hospital with 3 different makes of
            > Echo machine. At the moment networking is out of the question, so
            > are wondering if there is a remote reporting unit available that
            > we would be able to view the MO discs from all of our machines
            > (all the machines use the same size disc). Would it mean buying a
            > unit eg Xcelera, and then having to buy the software from each
            > company and so inflating the cost ?
            > Thanks for any ideas
            > Sue.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
            recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
            distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
            contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please
            inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you
            for your co-operation.
          • Andrew Horning
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
              Well, you can get free DICOM viewers off the 'net if all you want to do is
              look at DICOM images. There are lots of ways to produce DICOM; both
              hardware and software.

              We make a product that converts some of our systems' proprietary digital
              output into DICOM, the viewer reads the HP, ATL, Nova Microsonics, Freeland
              formats as well, and it can save them all to DICOM.

              But if alphanumeric data is an issue, then DICOM won't do, as there's not
              yet any such thing as a DICOM report until the DICOM folk incorporate
              structured reporting into the standard.

              While many systems (as well as ours dating back into the early nineties) can
              export alphanumeric data directly to a PC (e.g., via serial stream/ASCII
              data), I'm not aware of a single system that handles both the alpha data and
              images from a wide range of manufacturers without using ECR (electronic
              character recognition), which sometimes causes problems or workflow hiccups.

              MPACS makes a relatively inexpensive device that captures video and data
              from multiple ultrasound vendors, but it bypasses onboard digital. This may
              or may not be what you want.

              We make a device that takes our images or DICOM from elsewhere, and can
              import data in various formats from other manufacturers...but not at all as
              seamlessly as would be the case if there were DICOM reports!

              It always comes down to workflow. What, exactly, do you want to do? There
              are now DVD burners that can replace VCRs if that's all you want. And if
              reporting is the main thing, you can do a lot for almost free with MS
              Word/Access macros and the exported ultrasound data.

              Andrew Horning, RDCS
              Clinical Product Engineer
              Biosound Esaote
              8000 Castleway Drive
              Indianapolis, IN 46250

              Toll Free: 800.428.4374, ext. 6048
              Direct: 317.813.6048

              ahorning@...

              > Heartlab can handle all different types of Echo systems. They do not need
              to be all the same. It has the best reporting system available.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              -- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --
              The materials in this electronic mail transmission (including all
              attachments) are private and confidential and are the property of Biosound
              Esaote, Inc. Unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking
              of any action in reliance on the contents of this material is strictly
              prohibited. Please notify us at (317) 813-6000 or biosound@... if
              you have received this in error.