Stress Echo Graduation

  • GersonSL@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2003
      Does anybody have a college program for echocardiography in your region which
      includes a section which makes graduates ready to do stress echocardiography
      upon graduation?

      If so, please let me know the name of the institution so that I could try to
      put my local program in contact with them.

      Gerson S. Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
      Cardiology Department
      Oak Park Hospital
      Oak Park, Illinois
    • McGreco@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        Some new grads in echo are not ordinarily qualified to begin stress echo immediately upon graduation.  I currently instruct in an echo program and have a first hand look at the skill level of these students.  They struggle daily to get  the correct axis on all of their views.  In my opinion, these new grads should be working daily doing regular echoes for an extended period of time (i.e. > 6 mos -1 year).   Repetition is key in becoming proficient and gaining confidence to begin performing stress echoes.  The correct axis is quite easy for them to get pre exercise but post is still quite challenging for even a seasoned tech.  I think most echo labs would agree that if they chose to hire a new grad, they would want to first evaluate their skill level.  Based on this, they can then decide if the tech is qualified to begin the task of tackling a stress echo.  Our echo program introduces stress echo to the students so they do get a basic understanding of the exam.  My suggestion to them, or new grads, is that upon completion of an echo exam they attempt to obtain a plax, psax, 4-ch and 2-ch as quickly as possible on these patients as a form of practice.  I alsoemphasize that correct axis is key in a stress echo exam.  Chris.
      • John H Toptine
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003

          Garson,

          Short answer never heard of one.

          Long answer,

          I would find it amazing to think any institution could graduate a student ready to perform stress echoes.  It is one thing to teach the technique it is a totally different step to get them the appropriate amount of time in a clinical setting doing stress echoes.  The only way a person is going to get the needed experience to perform stress echoes is doing them.  We do not call them stress echo's because of the patient walking on the treadmill, we call them stress echo's because of the STRESS the sonographer has to go though to get the images within the 30sec to 1 minute once the 70 yr old pt. decides to stop walking and let go of the handle and lay down on the stretcher, there goes 15-20 sec right there.

          Point being, most programs are lucky to find the clinical hours to get their student proficient at scanning your average adult.  It is not until that student has been on the job and put in their time being able to get quick images should they be thrown into the STRESS of Stress Echo.

          John H Toptine, RCS, RDCS

          GersonSL@...
          10/30/2003 18:49
          Please respond to echocardiography

          To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          bcc:
          Subject: [echocardiography] Stress Echo Graduation

          Does anybody have a college program for echocardiography in your region which
          includes a section which makes graduates ready to do stress echocardiography
          upon graduation?

          If so, please let me know the name of the institution so that I could try to
          put my local program in contact with them.

          Gerson S. Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
          Cardiology Department
          Oak Park Hospital
          Oak Park, Illinois

        • timothy_eller
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
            In our practice, we train techs to do standard transthoracic echo for
            at least 12 - 18 months before they begin their stress echo
            training. We take the same views for both Dobutamine and Stress echo
            (more stages in a dob but same views), so we start the techs doing
            Dobs first. We feel that they have more time to get the required
            images and this gives them confidence they need to start stress
            echo. This of course is no good if your practice does not do dobs.

            Hope this helps
            Tim
          • GersonSL@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
              Thanks for the initial responses Chris and John. I fully appreciate your
              points about the difficulties in reaching a point of competence for Stress Echo. I
              made this inquiry because over the past year, I have noticed that graduates
              in the Chicago area are having a great deal of difficulty finding their first
              jobs. Employers seem to be willing to wait for experienced echocardiographers
              to become available rather than give these quality, energetic new grads the
              chance that we all needed at some time.

              I have encouraged the local program director to work on adding clinical hours
              and a guided program for developing the needed skills. If there were a way to
              hire people who already have these skills, wouldn't you rather do that than
              wait?

              So please, does anyone have any experience in developing a Stress Echo
              program within the format of a college based Echo program?

              To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
              From: McGreco@...
              Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:02:37 EST
              Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Stress Echo Graduation
              X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT: 1

              In a message dated 11/3/03 9:56:40 AM, topti001@... writes:

              <<

[...]

              To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
              cc:
              bcc:

              Does anybody have a college program for echocardiography in your region which
              includes a section which makes graduates ready to do stress echocardiography
              upon graduation?

              If so, please let me know the name of the institution so that I could try to
              put my local program in contact with them.

              Gerson S. Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
              Cardiology Department
              Oak Park Hospital
              Oak Park, Illinois

              <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
              HREF="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</A>.</tt>

              To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
              From: John H Toptine <topti001@...>
              Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:41:59 -0500
              X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT: 1

            • akory99@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 22, 2003
                Gerson,
                The school of cardiovascular technology in Norfolk Virginia has some solid formal training in SE and Dobut. It's big and kinda hard to get into but is worth a try. It was one of the first 4 to be accredited in the US.

                Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
                600 Gresham Drive
                Norfolk, Virginia 23507
                (757) 668-3000