HP 5500

  • Ultravas02@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002

      I am curious if anyone out there has problems with the HP 5500 during stress echo? I am at revision B.2 and have the system connected to the treadmill EKG machine (new Quinton, purchased in the past 6 months) and the EKG just disappears post exercise only. It doesn't go flatline or noisy, it just drifts out of the field of view, there is no line visible whatsoever. Needless to say, images cannot be acquired while it is gone.

      Service has been called and is currently working on it, but I wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

      Kelly Estes RDMS, RDCS, RVT
      Mecklenburg Medical Group
      Charlotte, NC
    • Ed Chait
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        > I am curious if anyone out there has problems with the HP 5500 during
        stress
        > echo? I am at revision B.2 and have the system connected to the treadmill
        EKG
        > machine (new Quinton, purchased in the past 6 months) and the EKG just
        > disappears post exercise only. It doesn't go flatline or noisy, it just
        > drifts out of the field of view, there is no line visible whatsoever.
        > Needless to say, images cannot be acquired while it is gone.
        >
        > Service has been called and is currently working on it, but I wondered if
        > anyone else has had this happen.

        This can happen with any system if you are triggering off of an ecg channel
        as opposed to a TTL signal. Your new Quinton should provide a TTL output,
        which is just a square wave signal and much more reliable than ecg QRS
        waves. Look on the back of the Quinton and connect the cable to TTL. That
        should solve the problem.

        Also, I don't recall exactly, but if the 5500 gives you the option, have it
        trigger off of an audio beep, not by lining up a cursor on the visible ecg
        on the screen, because when it drifts, as you know, you lose your trigger.

        Ed Chait
      • Tom Mortemore
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
          Ed,
          We occasionally have that issue with our 5500. It occurs when there is too
          much baseline wander on the ECG. Try changing the lead that is used to slave
          from the Quinton to a lead with less respiratory artifact. It also helps to
          drop the gain of the ECG on the sonos 5500.
          > > I am curious if anyone out there has problems with the HP 5500 during
          > stress
          > > echo? I am at revision B.2 and have the system connected to the
          treadmill
          > EKG
          > > machine (new Quinton, purchased in the past 6 months) and the EKG just
          > > disappears post exercise only. It doesn't go flatline or noisy, it just
          > > drifts out of the field of view, there is no line visible whatsoever.
          > > Needless to say, images cannot be acquired while it is gone.
          > >
          > > Service has been called and is currently working on it, but I wondered
          if
          > > anyone else has had this happen.
          > >

          > This can happen with any system if you are triggering off of an ecg
          channel
          > as opposed to a TTL signal. Your new Quinton should provide a TTL output,
          > which is just a square wave signal and much more reliable than ecg QRS
          > waves. Look on the back of the Quinton and connect the cable to TTL.
          That
          > should solve the problem.
          >
          > Also, I don't recall exactly, but if the 5500 gives you the option, have
          it
          > trigger off of an audio beep, not by lining up a cursor on the visible ecg
          > on the screen, because when it drifts, as you know, you lose your trigger.
          >
          > Ed Chait

        • Christopher M. Bohl
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
            This is an excellent suggestion. This problem is very common in Japanese
            systems, i.e. Toshiba, Aloka and others. They do not "clamp" the ECG
            waveform.

            In my experience, HP (Philips) and domestic manufactures, clamp the ECG to
            prevent DC (direct current) baseline voltage changes from causing drift.
            They do this by decoupling or clamping the input ECG baseline voltage by
            using a capacitive coupling. The baseline voltage of the ECG is always zero
            volts and the ECG will not wander.

            It would be interesting to have the HP (Philips) service team check the
            coupling of the external ECG to the 5500 platform. The bottom line being,
            any ECG input of 1 Volt Peak to Peak should have its baseline voltage
            clamped to prevent wander and assure it always appears in the same position
            on the monitor display. The only position change should be the result of
            the 5500 not the input from external sources

            Regards
            cmb