Re: [echocardiography] TEE in the OR

  • Keith Knopes
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2002
      90% Anesthesiologists that are trained and certified.
      10% Cardiologists when certified Anesthesiologist is unavailable

      Keith Knopes, MD
      Virginia Mason Medical Center
      Seattle, WA

      >>> Abello4@... 05/30/02 04:12PM >>>
      Dear friends,

      Can all of you please tell me who performs the OR TEE's in the OR in your
      institution? The anesthesiologist, a cardiologist, or an outside service?
      Thanks
      Anne Bello,RDMS
      South Miami Hospital
    • Wanderley
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2002
        Anne,
        in Procardiaco Hospital (Rio de janeiro, Brazil) an echocardiography service`s member performes OR TEE.

        Wanderley Q. Pereira MD
        Rio de janeiro  BRAZIL

        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2002
          I worked the past two years at Sacred Heart Medical
          Center in Eugene, OR. Some of the anesthesiologists
          did them there, but if they wanted an official study
          to be recorded and documented they had to arrange for
          an echo tech and a cardiologist to come to the OR. The
          anesthesia techs were responsible for the OR's
          machines and TEE probes.
          Three months ago I came to work here at Sacred Heart
          Medical Center in Spokane, WA. In Spokane the
          anesthesiologists put the probe down and the echo
          techs do the complete exam-pre and post op. We are
          also responsible for the OR machines and TEE probes.
          The surgeons look at the views in the OR, and
          cardiologists dictate a report after they read the
          tape and tech notes. There are two large hospitals in
          Spokane, and in both of them the echo techs do the OR
          TEEs. We do so many here that we have one tech almost
          dedicated to the OR every day. Spokane is the only
          place I know of that the echo techs manipulate the TEE
          probe. Does anyone know of any other places that
          practice that way?
          Carly Shuman, RDCS, RCS
          Sacred Heart Medical Center
          Spokane, WA

          --- Abello4@... wrote:
          > Dear friends,
          >
          > Can all of you please tell me who performs the OR
          > TEE's in the OR in your
          > institution? The anesthesiologist, a cardiologist,
          > or an outside service?
          > Thanks
          > Anne Bello,RDMS
          > South Miami Hospital

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Jo & Danny Fisher
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2002
            At our hospital the anesthesiologist usually passes the probe before the  cardiologist arrives to perform the pre-op valve evaluation.  The cardiologist and echocardiographer return to do the postop evaluation just as the patient is coming off pump.
            Jo Anne Fisher, RN, RDCS
            NorthEast Medical Center
            Concord, NC

            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 2002

              Hi Anne
              At our hospital in Australia we have the cardiac anesthitist who does the itra-op TEE, usually on his own. All other TEE (in patients ICU CCU and out patients) are done by a cardiologist assisted by a sonographer.
              Anthony
              Melbourne Australia

            • rjsuriani@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2002
                The anesthesiologist performs intraop TEE and rarely, when unavailable, a
                Cardiologist.

                Robert J. Suriani MD
                St. Vincent's Medical Center
                Bridgeport, CT
              • tedd@ibahn.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                  dear friends...in the Philippines..the echocardiologist does the intra-op
                  TEE monitoring although a number of cardiovascular anesthesiologists can do
                  the procedure...dr. tedd panlilio