[echocardiography] giant RAA.New question

  • José Benítez G
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 1999
      Dr Alboliras
      Thanks for your comments.
      In the mentioned case the patient is female 41 yo, she had stroke last month and TEE show evidence of patent foramen ovale (paradoxical embolization). I think thebest option  is surgery, are you agree?
      Again, thousand thanks for your excellents comments
      Sincerely
      Jose Benitez MD
      Adult Echo Lab(Hospital Universitario de Caracas)

      Ernerio T. Alboliras M.D. wrote:

      Idiopathic congenital dilatation of the right atrium, after Ebstein anomaly
      and congenital tricuspid incompetence have been excluded, is a rare but
      known entity in pediatric cardiology.  I've encountered a similar case in
      an adolescent, with mainly the right atrial appendage involved, and for
      which we attributed the problem to a partial congenital absence of the
      pericardium in that area.  The following literature may be of interest:
                      Burch, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium of adult onset.
      Am J Cardiol 30:87, 1972.
                      Beder, et. al. Idiopathic dilatation of the right atrium I a child.  Am
      Heart J 103:134, 1982.
                      Eshaghpour, et. al. Idiopathic right atrial enlargement in childhood. Am
      Heart J 78:373, 1969.
                      Pastor BH, Forte AL.  Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium.  Am J
      Cardiol 8:513, 1961.
              Sheldon, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium.  Report of 4
      cases.  Am J Cardiol 23:278,
      1969.
                      Sumner, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium.  Circulation
      32:985, 1965.

                                                                      Ernerio T. Alboliras, M.D.
                                                                      Director, Pediatric and Fetal Echocardiography
                                                                      Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center
                                                                      Chicago, IL

      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 1999
        Dr. Benitez
        I agree with your thoughts of submitting the lady to surgery, with
        resection of atrial appendage and closure of foramen ovale, while carefully
        making sure that the sinus node is not injured. One curious thought
        though, was the spontaneous echo contrast seen only in the atrial appendage
        or also in right atrium and right ventricle? If spontaneous echo contrast
        was seen in RA and RV, then you have to rule out RV dysfunction like Uhl's
        anomaly.

        Ernie Alboliras, MD

        In the mentioned case the patient is female 41 yo, she had stroke last
        month and TEE show evidence of patent foramen ovale (paradoxical
        embolization). I think thebest option is surgery, are you agree?
        Again, thousand thanks for your excellents comments
        Sincerely
        Jose Benitez MD
        Adult Echo Lab(Hospital Universitario de Caracas)

        Ernerio T. Alboliras M.D. wrote:
        > Idiopathic congenital dilatation of the right atrium, after Ebstein
        anomaly
        > and congenital tricuspid incompetence have been excluded, is a rare but
        > known entity in pediatric cardiology. I've encountered a similar case in
        > an adolescent, with mainly the right atrial appendage involved, and for
        > which we attributed the problem to a partial congenital absence of the
        > pericardium in that area. The following literature may be of interest:
        > Burch, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium
        of adult onset.
        > Am J Cardiol 30:87, 1972.
        > Beder, et. al. Idiopathic dilatation of the right atrium
        I a child. Am
        > Heart J 103:134, 1982.
        > Eshaghpour, et. al. Idiopathic right atrial enlargement
        in childhood. Am
        > Heart J 78:373, 1969.
        > Pastor BH, Forte AL. Idiopathic enlargement of the right
        atrium. Am J
        > Cardiol 8:513, 1961.
        > Sheldon, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right atrium.
        Report of 4
        > cases. Am J Cardiol 23:278,
        > 1969.
        > Sumner, et. al. Idiopathic enlargement of the right
        atrium. Circulation
        > 32:985, 1965.
        >
        > Ernerio
        T. Alboliras, M.D.