Re: [echocardiography] fwd:ultrasound purchase

  • seniorecho@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
      To The Group: Are there any guidelines for measurements of ASD size when
      considering the percutaneous ( Cath lab ) approach for repair of the ASD?
    • Dave Sisk
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 9:50 AM
        At out institution, we measure the diameter of the defect in the subcostal
        view, double it to get the stretched diameter and multiply by 1.8 to get
        proper sizing for the "umbrella device" We are just starting to use the
        amplatzer (sp?) and the measurements aren't nearly as crucial. We measure
        the atrial septal length as well as the superior and inferior portion of the
        atrial septum around the ASD. Obviously the the calculated size of the
        device itself cannot be greater than the septal length. Hope this is of some
        help

        Dave Sisk, RDCS
        University Physicians Inc.
        Pediatric Cardiology
        (ph) 520-694-9970
        (fx) 520-694-9963
        email- davesisk@...
        > To The Group: Are there any guidelines for measurements of ASD size when
        > considering the percutaneous ( Cath lab ) approach for repair of the ASD?

      • ASHOK WILFRED PEREIRA
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 9:39 PM
          I am not happy with the color flow mapping of VIVID. I think HP and Aloka
          are superior to VIVID in colour flow mapping and in other areas VIVID is
          best.

          A.W.Pereia.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 7:25 AM
            This type of comment always makes me curious. In you opinion, what is it that
            makes one color flow rendition better than another?

            Gerson S. Lichtenberg, RDCS, APS
            Cardiology Department
            Oak Park Hospital
            Oak Park, Illinois

            <<

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3 9:15 PM
              Dear Gerson,

              Probably you are right. But it is a bit difficult when you used to see the
              regurge in blueish turbulance in HP and Aloka to greenish in Vivid. It may
              take some time for me to adjust.

              Thanks,

              A.W.Pereira.

            • GersonSL@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4 2:48 PM
                Dear Dr.(?) Pereira,

                I want to apologize if my question came across as a criticism. It was not
                meant as such. Color flow imaging is a somewhat subjective modality and I
                truly am interested in other practitioners' perceptions. You might want to
                check whether you have the option to turn 'variance' on or off on the Vivid
                system. Changing it might get you something closer to what makes you
                comfortable.

                Similarly, trying out different color maps might be worth a few minutes of
                your time when you have a very cooperative patient with a regurgitant signal.
                If you find a better combination, most systems offer a way to change your
                pre-sets to enable you to easily reach your favorite settings. Good luck!