fwd: LV images

  • Daniel Shindler
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      Dr. med. Bernhard Pilz wrote:

      We have seen three patients within the last
      year presenting with an abnormal structure
      within the LV, looking like an accessory
      (third) papillary muscle. In all these patients
      two normal looking papillary muscles in their
      typical anatomical location could be shown,
      which rules out a simple displacement of a
      papillary muscle. The additional structures
      we saw had the typical shape of a papillary
      muscle and all of them showed chordae attached
      to their tip. Same question as above: Has
      anyone seen or read about similar cases?

      Regards,

      B. Pilz
    • Mark Harry
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
        I have seen a number of cases similar to this one. In one particular case,
        this caused a significant (70 mmHg) gradient across the left ventricular
        outflow tract. I will try to collect some images from these cases so that I
        can share them with the group.

        Mark Harry
        Iowa Heart Center

        > ----------

      • Maciej Chojnicki
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          It looks like false chordae tendineae or muscle band

          Maciej Chojnicki

          Maciej Chojnicki MD
          Department of Pediatric Cardiology
          Medical Univ. of Gdansk

          Daniel Shindler wrote:

          > Dr. med. Bernhard Pilz wrote:
          >
          > We have seen three patients within the last
          > year presenting with an abnormal structure
          > within the LV, looking like an accessory
          > (third) papillary muscle. In all these patients
          > two normal looking papillary muscles in their
          > typical anatomical location could be shown,
          > which rules out a simple displacement of a
          > papillary muscle. The additional structures
          > we saw had the typical shape of a papillary
          > muscle and all of them showed chordae attached
          > to their tip. Same question as above: Has
          > anyone seen or read about similar cases?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > B. Pilz

          > [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]
        • Dr. Bernhard Pilz
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
            >This is very interesting, as I haven´t found anything in the literature
            >resembling this abonrmality. I am looking forward to seeing your images.
            >What do you think about this abnormality. Is this really a third papillary
            >muscle?

            Regards,

            B. Pilz

            I have seen a number of cases similar to this one. In one particular case,
            >this caused a significant (70 mmHg) gradient across the left ventricular
            >outflow tract. I will try to collect some images from these cases so that I
            >can share them with the group.
            >
            >Mark Harry
            >Iowa Heart Center
            >
            >> ----------

            Dr. med. Bernhard Pilz
            Franz Volhard Klinik
            Charitè Campus Berlin-Buch
            Wiltbergstrasse 50
            D-13125 Berlin

            Tel.: 49 30 9417 2440
            Fax: ++49 30 9497 074

            email: pilz@...
          • Natraj Ballal
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
              Is there turbulence at the sub aortic area / It could be sub aortic ridge.

              nb
              > We have seen three patients within the last
              > year presenting with an abnormal structure
              > within the LV, looking like an accessory
              > (third) papillary muscle. In all these patients
              > two normal looking papillary muscles in their
              > typical anatomical location could be shown,
              > which rules out a simple displacement of a
              > papillary muscle. The additional structures
              > we saw had the typical shape of a papillary
              > muscle and all of them showed chordae attached
              > to their tip. Same question as above: Has
              > anyone seen or read about similar cases?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > B. Pilz

              ----

              ----

              ----

              ----

              ----
            • Dr. Bernhard Pilz
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2001
                > No, even with very low velocities we couldn´t detect any turbulence with
                >color- and spectral-doppler.

                Regards,

                B. Pilz

                Is there turbulence at the sub aortic area / It could be sub aortic ridge.

                >nb

                Dr. med. Bernhard Pilz
                Franz Volhard Klinik
                Charitè Campus Berlin-Buch