Left Atrial Volume

  • Daniel Shindler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000
      Dr. Jeffrey J. Silbiger wrote:

      Do you see any problem with "fooling" the
      software of an echo machine and actually
      measuring an LA volume by the method of
      disks, but "telling" the software it is
      an LV that is measuring?

      Reply:

      Dear Jeffrey,

      Our lab does not routinely measure left
      atrial volumes with this technique
      in non-research studies.
      I use the 2D dimensions in multiple views
      to decide on left atrial size.

      I believe the first reference below answers your
      question better.

      Comments from the group....?

      Regards,
      Dan Shindler MD
      New Brunswick, New Jersey

      Lester SJ; Ryan EW; Schiller NB; Foster E
      from the University of California, San Francisco
      in Am J Cardiol 1999 Oct 1;84(7):829-32
      state that the best method in clinical practice and
      in research studies to determine left atrial size is 2D
      not M-mode. They state that two-dimensional derived LA
      volumes provide a more accurate measure of the true size
      of the left atrium and are more sensitive to changes in
      LA size.

      They used the following techniques:

      Volume derived from the M-mode dimension assuming
      a spherical shape;

      Volume derived from the single plane area-length
      of apical 4-chamber view, which assumes that LA geometry
      can be generalized from a single 2-dimensional plane;

      Volume derived from the biplane method of discs;

      Dr. Gottdiener recently published data
      on left atrial size in hypertensive men in
      J Am Coll Cardiol 1997 Mar 1;29(3):651-8
      and I would love to hear his comments.

      Volgman AS; Soble JS; Neumann A; Mukhtar KN;
      Iftikhar F; Vallesteros A; Liebson PR
      from Rush Heart Institute
      in Am J Card Imaging 1996 Oct;10(4):261-5
      measured left atrial size by American Society of
      Echocardiography guidelines as the anterior-posterior
      dimension in the parasternal view. They also measured
      left atrial volume by Simpson's method as the average
      of values from the apical four-chamber and two-chamber
      views.
      In their study, left atrial volume did not improve
      identification of patients at risk for recurrence of
      atrial fibrillation after electrical cardioversion.