Position in NYC

  • Monika Rosado
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2013
      Hello everyone, Believe it or not I'm having a difficult time finding work in NY. I'm will to travel to Long Island, Queens, Westchester, Bronx, & Manhattan. I have almost 10 years experience in adult echo & Stress testing. I'm currently a Technical Director only 8 hours a week. Does anyone know of any Full Time positions? I apply and apply and over 90% require ARDCS. I have CCI......... I'm getting to the point where I may just have to get out of the medical field all together..... I've gone a linkedin, beyond.com, Bright, ZipRecruiter, craigslist, and so on.......... What is going on??? Am I the only one having problems? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Monika Rosado
    • Ken Horton
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
        Monika

        Anytime you run into a place that will only accept the ARDMS credential will you PLEASE contact CCI and let them know? We really want to contact these places and try to educate them about the CCI credential and its equivalency to ARDMS. It is equally recognized by the ACC, ASE, SUV, IAC, medicare and many private insurance carriers. The only way we can help do that is if we are told about these circumstances so we can talk to them. Most they just need to be educated and then they change their policies.

        I am so sorry to hear about your difficulty finding employment. Gone are the days of the Sonographer shortage and we find ourselves in just the opposite boat now. Jobs are tight and employment has become so competitive. Some employers are more concerned about payroll and budgets and salaries than they are about hiring the best, experienced sonographers out there. I wish I had a lead for you.

        Ken Horton RCS, RDCS, FASE
        President Elect CCI

        Sent from my iPad
      • Monika Rosado
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
          Thank you for your empathic reply. It certainly makes me feel better knowing there are issues out there and there is an over saturation of techs now. I have contacted CCI in the past.  I have sent links of serval positions that state ARDMS a must, preferred, and so on. I applied last night to a position that required GED with 1 year experience. I have over 8 and I'm a Technical Director now. Bachelors in Science and a 8 year Veteran of the USAF, blah, blah you can see my linkedin... :-) Anyway, I just received a email that I'm NOT considered for the position. Here's the original post. I think we all know why I was really not considered..  I can send you the rejection email if you like.... Not that it's going to "prove" anything....

          Sincerely,
          Monika Rosado

          Echo-Cardio Technologist

          Job Number: 99222099
          Category: Healthcare & Medical
          Location: Mineola, NY US
          CompanyName: Winthrop University Hospital
          Salary:
          Education:

          The Echocardiography Technologist uses his/her clinical expertise to perform
          all types of Echocardiography testing. Assists the physicians in the delivery
          of safe, age-appropriate patient care during testing in Echocardiography Lab.
          Works collaboratively with the RN’s and MD’s in a health team forum to promote
          wellness and optimize patient outcomes and quality care. Participates in
          unit/department/institution performance improvement activities that impact
          patient and service outcomes based on professional practice standards.

          ""Education"": High School diploma or GED required.

          ""License/Certification"": Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) Certification, preferred.

          ""Experience"": Minimum 1 year of experience as an Echocardiography technologist in an Inpatient Hospital setting, required.

          ""Skills"": Excellent communication and organizational skills. Strong computer skills.

          ""Other"": Position requires pushing, pulling, bending, lifting and the ability to stand for long periods of time.

          Sent from my IPhone

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013

            Monika

            Thank you for the reply.  As a retired Navy Veteran I also want to thank you for your service to our country.

            I will forward this email on to the CCI staff so they can address the requirement with the hospital.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 17, 2013
              Listing "ARDMS preferred" is not a discrimination in any shape or form.  Each lab drives their own standards.  I require my techs get accredited through ARDMS.  If I have an open position, I would consider a tech registered through CCI, with a commitment to get RDCS credentials within 2 years of hiring.

              The bigger issue is that there are few jobs out there, and the ones available are per diem / part time.

              Andre

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 18, 2013
                Good morning, first off the shortage has been for a few years in this central location(NJ/NY). Second, the issue with the license has been coming for years, why not have been proactive in getting it. Not sure if you have RDCS or RCS since you did not put initials behind your name. Yes, there is a Difference in the exams, and the international status of work, if a person wanted to. Bottom line, study hard to get license and get to some local society meetings to network.
                Jay, RDCS, PE, AE

                To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
                From: akory99@...
                Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:17:28 -0400

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                  I agree , if you think there's a difference
                  And that's the reason why your not being
                  Considered for the position take
                  Your ARDMS and be more competitive. Most
                  Candidates I have interviewed in the past are considered
                  Based on their experience, knowledge and competence.

                  Good luck on your job hunting. I find it ironic
                  This geographical location keep coming
                  Up on my LinkedIn with lots of opportunities?

                  Ken , CCT, RDCS
                  UCSF School of Medicine
                  Vascular surgery.
                  Fresno, Ca

                  Sent from Ken's iPhone

                  “A single sunbeam is enough to
                  Drive away many shadows.

                  “Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change,
                  The courage to change the things I can,
                  and the wisdom to know the difference.”
                  ― St. Francis of Assisi

                  To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
                  From: akory99@...
                  Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:17:28 -0400

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Of course that is not "discrimination" in any shape or form, that is related to the comun sense, professionalism and education of any person taking that absurd position, because if the ACC, ASE, SUV, IAC, etc, etc, recognize CCI in the same way, who are "you" (person or hospital or ......) to do the opposite. I am sorry but this is my honest opinion.

                    J. David Mut. RDCS
                    Phx, AZ.

                    -----Original Message----- From: Monika Rosado <monikatheechotech@...> To: echocardiography <echocardiography@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm Subject: Re: [echocardiography] Re: Position in NYC

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Yes, I am registered through ARDMS in Adult and Pediatric echo.  New kids are coming out of school with an impression that CCI is "easier to pass", so that's the path most of them take.  I always look for sonographers who like challenge, not an easy path.  We require RDCS within 2 years of hire, also in part because our facility scans a lot of peds and we prefer techs with pediatric registry.
                      Andre   RDCS (AE/PE)

                      To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com
                      From: akory99@...
                      Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:17:28 -0400

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                        For what it's worth it's not much better out here in the Boston area. Although I do work full-time (40 hrs/week) as an echocardiographer I try to keep my eyes out for that elusive 'something better' job. The sad news is that there's at least 30 hospitals located in a 30 mile radius and I haven't seen more than one or two full time echo positions ADVERTISED (meaning: job boards, websites, etc.) in the past 3 months. Lots of per diem and an occasional opening in far flung places like New Hampshire and Rhode Island but that's about it.

                        Basically, what I'm trying to say is, what you're experiencing isn't isolated to just you. Its bad all over. I can only suggest what others have: Network; try to socialize with other echo techs. And, hey, if you're friendly with a cardiologist or two you could even try asking for a referral.

                        Roger Kaufman
                        RDCS, Stress Tech, EKG Tech, Receptionist, IT, Patient Transporter

                      • Lenora

                          From: akory99@...
                          Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:17:28 -0400

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                              Mina,
                              I totally agree !! I have been telling the people in many imaging departments to get ready because we are going to be in high demand.

                              Regardless of the imaging modality there will be a huge influx of new patients who previously would not go to a doctor because of the lack of insurance.

                              Once this goes into full effect everyone will want to check there previously ignored ailments.

                              Mark my words, we will be in high demand very soon. "Obamacare" is a GREAT phrase to me and to the patients who need our expertise.

                              William J. Carol, RDCS,RDMS,RVT