Re: [echocardiography] (unknown)

  • Ashley Gesme
    Message 1 of 76 , May 3, 2013

      The protocol for diagnosing endocarditis is...
      First the patient must have 2 positive blood cultures ( which are consecutive).
      The patient must also have a positiveĀ  transthoracic echo showing the vegetation in at least 2 views and/or a positive transesophagealĀ  echo showing veg on any valve or line.
      The diagnosis of endocarditis depends on if all of these are positive. Without positive cultures it is hard to prove that you are seeing actual infection on the line.

      How this helps

      Ashley Gesme, BSE, RDCS
      Sutter Health, Sacramento, CA

    • cardiomonkey
      Message 76 of 76 , May 3, 2013
        In addition to the intracardiac valves, I usually check the pacemaker wire as well as the SVC and IVC for any indication of vegetations.

        Carlos

        Sent from Samsung Mobile

        Lenora <figueroa_lenora@...> wrote:

        Hello Eric
        I just scanned a patient with an ICD and his symptoms consisted of night sweats, fever, chest pain and by echo the valves looked clean, however during the TEE a vegetation was attached to the ICD line. Very subtle.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 28, 2013, at 4:56 PM, "eric" <vidale2003@...> wrote:

        dear group

        I would like to listen you opinion about endocarditis in patient with
        pacemakers or ICD , if the patient no have valves lesions in echo
        images. which,s the criterios to diagnosis of endocarditis in this
        particular patient

        thanks

        eric Vidal, MD

        Venezuela