Re: Studies per 8 hour shift

  • Cardiogoop
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      With all due respect, if your employer is still using HP5500s with video tape technology I am not convinced they are overly concerned about the wear and tear on their sonography team.

      --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "gwenlyn" <gwenlynlfs@...> wrote:

      > Just would like some input on the number of studies acceptable in an 8 hour period in echo labs Our lab uses old HP/ Philips 5500 machines and still video tapes . We also do an extensive hand written report and several calculations manually. at this time studies are scheduled every 45 minutes and we are doing 10 a day, 5 days a week. Our sonographers are getting burned and hurting.

    • William Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
        Hand written reports are the bain of our echo existence.

        Loser, old school doctors and systems that don't embrace new technology are stuck in the past and need to be intellectually smacked in the back of the head!

        They live in this "I'm done learning" vacuum that hinders everything they should be trying to promote like speed, accuracy and actual patient care.

        Please print this response and leave it where they can see it if you want any action.

        I will be happy to respond to any rebuttals.

        William J. Carol, RDCS, RDMS, RVT

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM, gwenlyn <gwenlynlfs@...> wrote:

        Just would like some input on the number of studies acceptable in an 8 hour period in echo labs Our lab uses old HP/ Philips 5500 machines and still video tapes . We also do an extensive hand written report and several calculations manually. at this time studies are scheduled every 45 minutes and we are doing 10 a day, 5 days a week. Our sonographers are getting burned and hurting.

      • Jennifer Hudson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2013
          While doing more than 8 a day is very taxing, and should refuse to do more, we all need to realize that with the reimbursement cutbacks with both the echo component  and doctor reimbursement that many can no longer afford to buy the latest and greatest in equipment.  In the area that I live (california) many of the offices are just waiting until their equipment fails and then have stated that they will stop doing echoes in their offices and send them to the hospitals.  This of course will cause delays in obtaining your procedure.
          It is a new world in medicine, sadly.
          Jennifer Hudson RDCS

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2013
            --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "gwenlyn" <gwenlynlfs@...> wrote:

            > Just would like some input on the number of studies acceptable in an 8 hour period in echo labs Our lab uses old HP/ Philips 5500 machines and still video tapes . We also do an extensive hand written report and several calculations manually. at this time studies are scheduled every 45 minutes and we are doing 10 a day, 5 days a week. Our sonographers are getting burned and hurting.

            You must have some old school cardiologist setting. I thought many places have already converted to digital.

            If you are doing 10 studies a day, when do you have time to write hand written reports? I feel like many, they are pushing to much, unless you are doing limited studies. That can only lead to burn out and you dont want to blow out your shoulder.

            I range from 6-8 studies a day, sometimes more, but it is pediatric, so not much pushing and sometimes. we have many limited studies, but I always follow a basic protocol in my head.
          • Michelle Kelly
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2013
              Now that is ridiculous! Our lab does 7 patients a day. One patient every hour, and are lab is totally digital. I could just image how hard your techs are working.

              Michelle

              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                Up until recently our echo lab has been doing bubble studies for all patients who have your basic TIA/CVA/stroke symptoms (i.e. confusion, vision disturbance, difficulties speaking, etc.). A few years ago we added bubble studies for those patients who had suffered from TGA (transient global amnesia). But lately we've been getting orders from hospitalists/generalists requesting bubble studies for patients experiencing dizziness, vertigo and/or near syncope. Now I'd always been under the impression that patients experiencing those kind of symptoms don't need a bubble study. Am I wrong to think this? I mean I'm still going to do the bubble study regardless (because the doctor ordered it) but I am curious as to the reason why a bubble study is needed.

                --Roger