Monitoring Definity patients

  • echolisa10
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hello Group,

      I am interested to learn how other out-patient labs handle Definity patients. The literature from Definity states multiple times that adverse reactions occur within 30 minutes. Our office is concerned with potential liability in the event of a reaction and would like the techs to hold the patient for 30 minutes. This of course opens a can of worms for documentation and work-flow issues.

      Does your lab hold Definity patients for 30 minutes?
      What are your screening questions?

      I appreciate your feedback.

      Thank you!
    • Xufang Bai
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
        We ask the patient to wait in the waiting room for 30 min after the Definity. If nothing happen, he/she is free to leave. We did lots of Definity, so far nothing special happened. By the way, our waiting room is big and frequently visited by our techs and nurses. This helps both of not dragging your lab and keeping the patients safe.

        Xufang, RDCS

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012

          This has been removed from their literature.  Patient’s no longer need to be monitored.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
            We monitor the patient but from the time the definite is administered to the time the patient gets dressed. By then we ask the patient to wait about 5-10 minutes. We don't keep then a full 30 minutes after the exam is over. We ask about history of shunts or holes in the heart; if they've ever had eye surgery and we check for right sided pressures before administering definity. Hope this helps.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
              The 30-minute monitoring requirement was removed, but the fact that most adverse reactions occur within the first 30 minutes post Definity administration is still there.

              Maybe putting your patient in the waiting room for an extra 5-10 minutes post exam is not such a bad idea.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
                Pulmonary Hypertension is no longer an issue either when it comes to using Definity.

                I am interested to learn how other out-patient labs handle Definity patients. The literature from Definity states multiple times that adverse reactions occur within 30 minutes. Our office is concerned with potential liability in the event of a reaction and would like the techs to hold the patient for 30 minutes. This of course opens a can of worms for documentation and work-flow issues.

                Does your lab hold Definity patients for 30 minutes?
                What are your screening questions?

                I appreciate your feedback.

                Thank you!

                <*> Your email settings: