thymus and echo?

  • serdarpedawi
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
      dear members of this valuable group
      today i saw twin infants with increase in cardiac size (global enlargment)on CXR , during echo study , i saw echogenic global mass around the heart mostly on the upper area , it didnt look like pericardial effusion , could it be abnormaly enlarged thymus
      and before one month another infant came with same story
      , cardiac champers where fine no pressure on it , normal cardiac champers , normal valves

      thanks in advance

      Dr. serdar
      trained ped cardiologist
      iraqi kurdistan region
    • Joe Kreeger
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
        Dr. Serdar,

        That is actually quite common in newborns. Often, in our facility, an order will be placed for an Echocardiogram to be performed on a newborn with an "enlarged heart" by x-ray but otherwise normal physical exam. We will often find a prominent thymus gland.

        Hope that helps,
        Joe
      • Gershom Lichtenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          This does sound like the thymus of a child in the absence of any other problems. Are you able to submit a couple of pictures of it? This might produce other suggestions.

          Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
          Echocardiographer
          Rambam Healthcare Campus
          Haifa, Israel

          On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM, serdarpedawi <serdarpedawi@...> wrote:

          dear members of this valuable group
          today i saw twin infants with increase in cardiac size (global enlargment)on CXR , during echo study , i saw echogenic global mass around the heart mostly on the upper area , it didnt look like pericardial effusion , could it be abnormaly enlarged thymus
          and before one month another infant came with same story
          , cardiac champers where fine no pressure on it , normal cardiac champers , normal valves

          thanks in advance

          Dr. serdar
          trained ped cardiologist
          iraqi kurdistan region

        • KATRINAC
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
            I am a sonographer who does Pediatric echo on occasion, so it is not my primary field of practice. I have seen an enlarged thymus on an infant that was big for gestational age at birth, and continued to be large for his age. The thymus was a large homogeneous mass anterior to the heart that actually had a rippling motion when baby cried. I was confused, but this was confirmed later to be an enlarged thymus, and I believe as baby grew it became normal in comparison to child size.
            --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "serdarpedawi" <serdarpedawi@...> wrote:

            > dear members of this valuable group
            > today i saw twin infants with increase in cardiac size (global enlargment)on CXR , during echo study , i saw echogenic global mass around the heart mostly on the upper area , it didnt look like pericardial effusion , could it be abnormaly enlarged thymus
            > and before one month another infant came with same story
            > , cardiac champers where fine no pressure on it , normal cardiac champers , normal valves
            >
            > thanks in advance
            >
            > Dr. serdar
            > trained ped cardiologist
            > iraqi kurdistan region

          • serdarpedawi
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2011
              thanks guys
              for your valuable information
              i realy dont find it so common
              but the story is cardiomegaly on CXR for normaly growing neonate
              and echo show such idiopathic thymus hyperplasia

              --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "serdarpedawi" <serdarpedawi@...> wrote:

              > dear members of this valuable group
              > today i saw twin infants with increase in cardiac size (global enlargment)on CXR , during echo study , i saw echogenic global mass around the heart mostly on the upper area , it didnt look like pericardial effusion , could it be abnormaly enlarged thymus
              > and before one month another infant came with same story
              > , cardiac champers where fine no pressure on it , normal cardiac champers , normal valves
              >
              > thanks in advance
              >
              > Dr. serdar
              > trained ped cardiologist
              > iraqi kurdistan region

            • JENELLE TOMPKINS
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2011
                I concur, we see thymus noted enough on our little ones.
                Jenelle RDCS

                To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com