TVI

  • Yeung Wen
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 6:49 AM

      Is there anyone who uses tissue velocity imaging routinely? If so, is there any article out there that discusses the use of it? Do you find TVI useful?

      On Jul 21, 2011 10:37 AM, "clestuzzi" <clestuzzi@...> wrote:
      > Apical 4-chamber view!
      >
      > Chiara Lestuzzi, MD
      > Cardiology
      > CRO, National Cancer Institute
      > Via F. Gallini 2
      > 33081 Aviano (PN), Italy
      > phone +390434659297
      > mobile +39 3474451248
    • Fernando Clau-Terre
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2 8:46 AM
        We do it every day in monitoring filling pressures of left cavities.

        Fernando Clau-Terré  MD.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2 11:42 AM
          Hello,

          It is part of the diastology protocol at a few hospitals in the bay area. Usually the apical 4 focusing on the LV lateral and the inferior basal of the IVS. Besides that, when I do the right side of the heart in the Apical 4, I always include the RV lateral wall and measure the S' (TASV or RV S' it is referred as) out of habit and maybe MD's would use these measurements for research. I also believe if patients are in Afib or flutter, the E/E' could be used.

          I also found out that in Europe, at least in Britian, the BSE use the apical 2 and apical 3 tissue velocity for the respective walls.

          check the ASE for articles using TVI.

          Hope that helps.

          Rog

          Is there anyone who uses tissue velocity imaging routinely? If so, is there any article out there that discusses the use of it? Do you find TVI useful?
          On Jul 21, 2011 10:37 AM, "clestuzzi" <clestuzzi@...> wrote:
          > Apical 4-chamber view!
          >
          > Chiara Lestuzzi, MD
          > Cardiology
          > CRO, National Cancer Institute
          > Via F. Gallini 2
          > 33081 Aviano (PN), Italy
          > phone +390434659297
          > mobile +39 3474451248
        • altaf essani
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2 11:50 AM
            Can any body discuss the pitfalls to measure IVS

            Thanks

            Altaf Essani
            RDCS, RVT, RDMS

            Is there anyone who uses tissue velocity imaging routinely? If so, is there any article out there that discusses the use of it? Do you find TVI useful?
            On Jul 21, 2011 10:37 AM, "clestuzzi" <clestuzzi@...> wrote:
            > Apical 4-chamber view!
            >
            > Chiara Lestuzzi, MD
            > Cardiology
            > CRO, National Cancer Institute
            > Via F. Gallini 2
            > 33081 Aviano (PN), Italy
            > phone +390434659297
            > mobile +39 3474451248

          • Gershom Lichtenberg
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2 12:05 PM
              Are you talking about TDI of the IVS or IVS thickness?

              Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
              Echocardiographer
              Rambam Healthcare Campus
              Haifa, Israel

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2 12:55 PM
                For me, it is a standard protocol.   I take the lateral and medial mitral annulus measurements (lateral is always the greater velocity) and average them for use in the following:

                (E/e' x 1.24) + 1.9 = mean LA pressure

                where E is trans-mitral inflow E-wave velocity and e' is the TDI "e-prime" velocity, both measured in cm/sec.     Many will discredit the utility of this formula, but I have found it to be surprisingly accurate, especially when compared to PAD pressure (measured by pulmonary insufficiency jet end-diastolic gradient added to mean RA pressure (obtained from IVC diameter and inspiratory collapse)) and to my other favorite formula:

                (E/Vp x 5.27) + 4.66 = mean LA pressure

                E is again, trans-mitral E-wave and Vp is the slope (also in cm/sec) of the trans-mitral color M-mode velocity propagation from mitral annulus level to the LV apex.      I can't tell you the number of times these values have turned out to be 2 or 3 mmHg apart from each other, which I think is pretty good for not having to stick catheters into someone.

                OK, a bit much, but to answer your question, TVI for me is incredibly useful as another piece of evidence when evaluating LV diastolic function.

                Bradley J. Artel, MD, FACC
                Boca Raton, FL

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2 3:21 PM
                  Excellent descriptions. I do agree with vuedoc. It is useful and helps a lot more than the conventional Doppler measurements,
                  When it comes to RV can predict a lot of the sisto-diastolic dysfunction even in presence of normal TAPSE and Tricuspid E/A
                  and mild degree of hypertrophy.
                  R. Revel Chion
                  Ferrara, Italy

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2 9:18 PM
                    dear yeung wen,
                    i do use tissue doppler routinely. As a part for diastology on the medial and lateral mitral annulus( usually lateral one is higher). Another one in the deep transgastric rv lateral annulus to measure systolic tricuspid annular velocity.
                    interpretion of which is a tricky one.
                    i found it definately useful to see assess the ventricular filling specially in af pt( E/ Ea).

                    dr dharmesh,
                    cardiac anesthesiologist
                    fortish hospital,
                    bangalore
                    india
                    +919980588778

                    Is there anyone who uses tissue velocity imaging routinely? If so, is there any article out there that discusses the use of it? Do you find TVI useful?

                    On Jul 21, 2011 10:37 AM, "clestuzzi" <clestuzzi@...> wrote:
                    > Apical 4-chamber view!
                    >
                    > Chiara Lestuzzi, MD
                    > Cardiology
                    > CRO, National Cancer Institute
                    > Via F. Gallini 2
                    > 33081 Aviano (PN), Italy
                    > phone +390434659297
                    > mobile +39 3474451248
                  • Yeung Wen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3 11:34 AM

                      Thank you, everyone, for your input. At my facility, we do tissue doppler routinely as well. My question was whether tissue velocity doppler is being used. It is different from tissue doppler used in diastology, as far as I understand. I heard that tissue velocity doppler involves color-coding the chamber walls, and I am curious to know more about it.

                      On Aug 3, 2011 9:42 AM, "Dharmesh Agrawal" <adharmesh77@...> wrote:
                      > dear yeung wen,
                      > i do use tissue doppler routinely. As a part for diastology on the medial and lateral mitral annulus( usually lateral one is higher). Another one in the deep transgastric rv lateral annulus to measure systolic tricuspid annular velocity.
                      > interpretion of which is a tricky one.
                      > i found it definately useful to see assess the ventricular filling specially in af pt( E/ Ea).
                      >
                      > dr dharmesh,
                      > cardiac anesthesiologist
                      > fortish hospital,
                      > bangalore
                      > india
                      > +919980588778

                    • altaf essani
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3 5:50 PM
                        thickness

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5 4:34 AM
                          The IVS is not a uniformly thick structure, but it is trabeculated and has structures adjacent to it especially on the right side. It is very helpful to look at the septum in short axis, as this can be used to determine what is part of the septal muscle.

                          The base of the septum may often appear somewhat thicker (sigmoid septum), so a description is often better than a single number.

                          Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
                          Echocardiographer
                          Rambam Healthcarre Campus
                          Haifa, Israel

                        • vuedoc@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 5 10:05 AM
                            So true.   I have seen many technologists measure trabeculations on both the left and right sides of the septum, as well as chordae and papillary muscle structures instead of the true myocardial dimension.   This not only affects the septal measurement, but also the LV cavity dimensions.  Things can appear very differently in an orthogonal view, so I agree with measuring in both long and short axes.    I also usually report basal septal hypertrophy separately from mid-anteroseptal thickness.   The next thing after that, though, is to document the absence of LVOT obstruction, and that the patient does not have HOCM.

                            Bradley J. Artel, MD, FACC
                            Boca Raton, FL

                            The IVS is not a uniformly thick structure, but it is trabeculated and has structures adjacent to it especially on the right side. It is very helpful to look at the septum in short axis, as this can be used to determine what is part of the septal muscle.

                            The base of the septum may often appear somewhat thicker (sigmoid septum), so a description is often better than a single number.

                            Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
                            Echocardiographer
                            Rambam Healthcarre Campus
                            Haifa, Israel

                            On Thursday, August 4, 2011, altaf essani <altafessani@...> wrote:

                            > thickness

                          • Roger Aba
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 10 2:12 PM
                              Would that be more of Strain (GE post processing)?