Positions Schools

  • modena178837
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2011
      The answer may be simple-I just don't know. I'm 62 yrs old and an RCS for 4 yrs. This was my retirement job. I love performing echos. I even teach Echocardiography with a good portion of my students becoming RCS certified. I have a B.S. in Business from Indiana University Bloomington, and play the violin at a professional level.
      I can't find a position anywhere-and I mean anywhere. I did work for several Cardiologists several years ago who I had to turn in scamming Medicare. I have the money--I have the certification-Where can I go back to school again where there will be no doubt that when I get out I can get a position?
      I know this is a crazy question to ask: What is the absolute best school for me. Thanks

      Robert
    • Gershom Lichtenberg
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2011
        Robert, I'm not clear from what you say on why you think that you need to go back to school. Is this what people in hiring positions are telling you?

        Are you in a heavily saturated area? Are you suffering from age discrimination?

        If you do want schools, the www.caahep.org website will provide you with a list of accredited schools. I'm not sure that it is worthwhile to spend another year or two in school again, but that is up to you and the school administrations.

        Have you tried researching job availability in other parts of the country (or world)? There would seem  to be one position out there for you if you have the clinical skills to get it.

        Best of luck
        Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
        Echocardiographer
        Rambam Healthcare Campus
        Haifa, Israel

        On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM, modena178837 <modena178837@...> wrote:

        The answer may be simple-I just don't know. I'm 62 yrs old and an RCS for 4 yrs. This was my retirement job. I love performing echos. I even teach Echocardiography with a good portion of my students becoming RCS certified. I have a B.S. in Business from Indiana University Bloomington, and play the violin at a professional level.
        I can't find a position anywhere-and I mean anywhere. I did work for several Cardiologists several years ago who I had to turn in scamming Medicare. I have the money--I have the certification-Where can I go back to school again where there will be no doubt that when I get out I can get a position?
        I know this is a crazy question to ask: What is the absolute best school for me. Thanks

        Robert

      • Charles Lloyd
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 7, 2011
          Robert,
          Not sure where your located and if you are registered why go back to school. If people are telling you that I'm not sure why. But if you feel you need to go to school i would recommed an advanced course. OIT Oregon Institute of Technology has an online Bachelors program for Echocardiology. I belive George Washington Unviversity has a Masters Degree program. Or, maybe you wanna consider something like the Arizona Heart Institute with Terry Reynolds. The jog situation out there is tough right now and most people just want per diem or casual. Saves them the money on benefits
          Best of Luck
          Charles Lloyd, RCS

          To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 7, 2011
            Gershom< thank you for responding.  You are very active on here and you are well educated in your trade.  It is so very frustrating when you get to my age and try to find another position.  My purpose for the best school was to go back to the best school that no one could say that you didn't get the best education.  I live near Chicago so the jobs are there but forsome reason my former students have a better chance than I do.
            Anyway I have been thinking about trying to join Medical Volunteer groups.
            Sometimes you don't get the chance to say when you retrire!
            Robert

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 8, 2011
              Robert,
                 Tom here  and have been doing temp for lots of years.
                 I would suggest that if you go on the road that you speak with those whom you would be working with and interrogate them about different protocols that you would have to be involved. Look for specificity and clarify what you would be responsible for, it varies from one venue to the next.
                 I  think the work is out there but some of it is for tri-modalities. I can do lots of things but I don't jump over tall  buildings any more.

                                                                           Tom  RDCS

              To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 8, 2011
                Dear Robert,
                I feel that you are facing "age discrimination". When HR hires someone sometimes they want to hire a younger energetic tech who is worth of training and will work more years with the facility. I believe always there is a slot for experienced persons too. Wish you good luck.
                Kalam Chowdhury.

                To: echocardiography@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 8, 2011
                  Robert,
                  I am RDCS with 19 years of Echo experience and was laid off two years ago for "lack of volume". The economy being what it is and the New Jersey area being flooded with new graduates, I have been having a hard time finding a good full-time position.
                  I have two wonderful per-diem jobs and just signed on with a very reputable temp agency. Temp and travel positons require experienced, credentialed technologists, and going that route may help you too.
                  I am also enrolled in the Echo program at oregon Institute of Technology, but I am doing that for my own satisfaction, not for any advancement in my career. And my opinion is if you are teaching now, you don't need any more education, just a better market. Good Luck!
                  Joni Brennan, RDCS

                  --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "modena178837" <modena178837@...> wrote:

                  > The answer may be simple-I just don't know. I'm 62 yrs old and an RCS for 4 yrs. This was my retirement job. I love performing echos. I even teach Echocardiography with a good portion of my students becoming RCS certified. I have a B.S. in Business from Indiana University Bloomington, and play the violin at a professional level.
                  > I can't find a position anywhere-and I mean anywhere. I did work for several Cardiologists several years ago who I had to turn in scamming Medicare. I have the money--I have the certification-Where can I go back to school again where there will be no doubt that when I get out I can get a position?
                  > I know this is a crazy question to ask: What is the absolute best school for me. Thanks
                  >
                  > Robert

                • Joel D
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                    I'm looking for help from anyone with experience in setting up a cardiac screening program for high school atheletes.  Just getting started, I have several questions for anyone that could help with organizational aspects and logistics.  Please contact me offline.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you!

                    Joel Dykstra RDCS (AE) (PE), RVT
                  • Harvinder Bedi
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                      Robert,
                      Check with a leading cardiologist group who are also faculty in your area medical school for a research sonographer position.
                      They mostly need people with solid experience.
                      Good Luck,
                      Harvi Bedi

                      I am RDCS with 19 years of Echo experience and was laid off two years ago for "lack of volume". The economy being what it is and the New Jersey area being flooded with new graduates, I have been having a hard time finding a good full-time position.
                      I have two wonderful per-diem jobs and just signed on with a very reputable temp agency. Temp and travel positons require experienced, credentialed technologists, and going that route may help you too.
                      I am also enrolled in the Echo program at oregon Institute of Technology, but I am doing that for my own satisfaction, not for any advancement in my career. And my opinion is if you are teaching now, you don't need any more education, just a better market. Good Luck!
                      Joni Brennan, RDCS

                      --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "modena178837" <modena178837@...> wrote:

                      > The answer may be simple-I just don't know. I'm 62 yrs old and an RCS for 4 yrs. This was my retirement job. I love performing echos. I even teach Echocardiography with a good portion of my students becoming RCS certified. I have a B.S. in Business from Indiana University Bloomington, and play the violin at a professional level.
                      > I can't find a position anywhere-and I mean anywhere. I did work for several Cardiologists several years ago who I had to turn in scamming Medicare. I have the money--I have the certification-Where can I go back to school again where there will be no doubt that when I get out I can get a position?
                      > I know this is a crazy question to ask: What is the absolute best school for me. Thanks
                      >
                      > Robert

                    • johnjmulleniii
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                        I personally have participated in an event like this and found they have some materials online for people that want to start programs.

                        http://www.aztops.org/TOPS_Handbook.pdf

                        I'm sure if you have additional questions you can email the people from Arizona TOPS and they will help you as best they're able.

                        John Mullen, RDCS (AE, PE)

                        --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, Joel D <joeldykstra_@...> wrote:

                        > I'm looking for help from anyone with experience in setting up a cardiac screening program for high school atheletes. Just getting started, I have several questions for anyone that could help with organizational aspects and logistics. Please contact me offline. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
                        >
                        > Joel Dykstra RDCS (AE) (PE), RVT

                      • Nanci McFarland
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                          Have you contacted the Heartfelt Cardiac project?
                          http://heartfeltcardiacprojects.org/
                          I did a volunteer day with them last year.
                          They may have some good information for you.
                          Good luck,
                          Nanci McFarland, RDCS
                        • Gershom Lichtenberg
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 10, 2011
                            Joel, about 8 or 9 years ago, I was in touch with some people at an
                            organization called A Heart for Sports
                            (http://www.aheartforsports.org/) which is a non-profit organization
                            formed by some highly motivated technologists. They might be able to
                            give you some insights. Some things might have changed with this
                            organization as I notice that the website no longer seems to list who
                            the people are. It used to give names, pictures and histories.

                            Unfortunately, I cannot find or remember the name of the person who
                            originally told me about them so I won't try to guess. Best of luck to
                            you.

                            Gershom Lichtenberg
                            Haifa, Israel

                            On Wednesday, March 9, 2011, Joel D <joeldykstra_@...> wrote:

                            > I'm looking for help from anyone with experience in setting up a cardiac screening program for high school atheletes.  Just getting started, I have several questions for anyone that could help with organizational aspects and logistics.  Please contact me offline.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you!
                            >
                            > Joel Dykstra RDCS (AE) (PE), RVT

                          • stacey guillory
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 10, 2011
                              Think about becoming multi registered.  I worked in a small hospital and had to do ECHO, vascular, abdomen and OB.  I have never had a hard time finding a job and this makes you marketable.  Find a school that you can take the abdomen and vascular registry when you finish the course.

                              Stacey

                              I am RDCS with 19 years of Echo experience and was laid off two years ago for "lack of volume". The economy being what it is and the New Jersey area being flooded with new graduates, I have been having a hard time finding a good full-time position.
                              I have two wonderful per-diem jobs and just signed on with a very reputable temp agency. Temp and travel positons require experienced, credentialed technologists, and going that route may help you too.
                              I am also enrolled in the Echo program at oregon Institute of Technology, but I am doing that for my own satisfaction, not for any advancement in my career. And my opinion is if you are teaching now, you don't need any more education, just a better market. Good Luck!
                              Joni Brennan, RDCS

                              --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, "modena178837" <modena178837@...> wrote:

                              > The answer may be simple-I just don't know. I'm 62 yrs old and an RCS for 4 yrs. This was my retirement job. I love performing echos. I even teach Echocardiography with a good portion of my students becoming RCS certified. I have a B.S. in Business from Indiana University Bloomington, and play the violin at a professional level.
                              > I can't find a position anywhere-and I mean anywhere. I did work for several Cardiologists several years ago who I had to turn in scamming Medicare. I have the money--I have the certification-Where can I go back to school again where there will be no doubt that when I get out I can get a position?
                              > I know this is a crazy question to ask: What is the absolute best school for me. Thanks
                              >
                              > Robert

                            • stacey guillory
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 10, 2011

                                I am looking for a seminar in the second half of the year.  Scottsdale Az or near there would be my first choice.  please post what you know is out there.

                                Stacey

                              • T Whelan
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 11, 2011
                                  Stacy, I provide ultrasound instruction here in Houston, and many other places.  I do not see a course my company is sponsoring in AZ anytime soon.  darn it.  I hope that changes.  I will hesitate to provide other course providers names.  Bad for my business. :)  Tom   www.aheconline.com

                                  --
                                  Peace,
                                  Gallgizzard and Orchestra
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 16, 2011
                                    Hi everybody
                                    I am looking for 1 cardiac ultrasound machine. Please give me an advice what is the best machine for cardiography.
                                    Thanks in advance

                                  • KEVIN PULLINS(2ndsight)
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 16, 2011
                                      We Need parameters..like: Travel,Mobile,large volume,budget..also archival needs going all digital?...
                                        For mobile i Love the Vivid Q.Not the ultimate in cardiac clarity but, Damn close,easy use and pre-thinks for the sonographer what modality will be next..like image-color-spectral-..auto Fast..,..all contained software, although GE makes (like all the rest) a Sole proprietary collection of data that with the right Lump sum of MORE money you can send templets of echo forms or whatever to digital archive to be electronically signed etc.otherwise the generic answer is to, find Linux experts to re-config the system(no matter what system).safe and worth the cost to go where the, Real IT Boysz gel*
                                      good Luck!..used equip save on maintenance. 2ndSight

                                      I am looking for 1 cardiac ultrasound machine. Please give me an advice what is the best machine for cardiography.
                                      Thanks in advance

                                    • Pham Tuyen
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 16, 2011
                                        The best system for echocardiography and vascular ultrasound for me so far is Philips HD 15, about 90000-120000USD. However, based on your budget, other machines from GE as Vivid, Siemens, Toshiba and Aloka can meet your requirements.

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        On Mar 16, 2011, at 10:02 PM, van anh tran <tranvananh2001@...> wrote:

                                        Hi everybody
                                        I am looking for 1 cardiac ultrasound machine. Please give me an advice what is the best machine for cardiography.
                                        Thanks in advance

                                      • tony musarra
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 17, 2011
                                          One of the most innovative new systems is from Esaote called the MyLabTwice. It is a full fledged cart that does echo/vasc but also has a built in and wirelessly integrated portable unit called the MyLab Sat. Affordable too. I have never seen anything like it.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 17, 2011
                                            The Phillips ie33 has the best 2d images and costs are some of the highest. The G3 Vivid7 has the best doppler images and good 2d and the most post processing capability such as m mode from still images. Cost is midground. The Siemens sequoia is a lower cost unit but the images aren't as crisp as the other 2. If cost is not an issue either of the first 2 are good machines. If cost is a factor the seimens units may be the way to go.