A LVEDD OF 6 CM

  • syed r
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      Normal range of LV end diastolic diameter is 3.7 to 5.7 cm (the range, I think should include all adult patients). If a big man has dia of 6 cm, will it be normal for his size because one cardilogist said that.
    • cprofota@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        Consideration of the patients BSA is always a consideration when trying to decide what is the upper limits of normal for a patient
        .
        I did a 6"8" 22 yo wm today that had a 5cm LVd. However his apical to mv annulus was 10.4cm. Would you have considered this cardiomegaly?
        Chris
      • Gershom Lichtenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
          Your question does not give enough information to answer definitely yes or no. If six months ago his LV was 5.0, then 6.0 is clearly not normal. If he is a professional marathon runner with a heart rate of 42, no evidence of a VSD or a PDA, no valvular disease, normal LV function, then that may be normal for him.

          Also, is your "big man" 200 kg. (440Lbs.) and 190 cm. (6 ft. 1 in.) or 100 kg. (220) and 180 cm. (5 ft. 11 in.).

          People should be aware that when normal values are established, a group of people without heart disease are examined and measured. It is not the largest of those hearts that determines the upper end of the normal spectrum but rather a statistical analysis of the data saying that a normal heart is unlikely to be more than a certain number. There will be a small percentage of normals that lies outside those boundaries.

          Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
          Echocardiographer
          Rambam Healthcare Campus
          Haifa, Israel

          On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM, syed r <d_raza1@...> wrote:

          Normal range of LV end diastolic diameter is 3.7 to 5.7 cm (the range, I think should include all adult patients). If a big man has dia of 6 cm, will it be normal for his size because one cardilogist said that.

        • Mina Tohid
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
            It also depends on BSA. I was told by CARDIOLOGISTS.

            On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM, syed r <d_raza1@...> wrote:

            Normal range of LV end diastolic diameter is 3.7 to 5.7 cm (the range, I think should include all adult patients). If a big man has dia of 6 cm, will it be normal for his size because one cardilogist said that.

          • Kris Brummitt
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2010

              6 cm could very well be normal if the patient is large. The normal range is the average for the majority of people, but there is no way to encompass everyone with it. Does the chamber look dilated or is it proportional to the length of the LV? What is the EF? Are the walls thickening normally or are they thinning? How large is the patient?

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            • T Whelan
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
                Indeed, LVEDD can be matched with body surface areas. This is also true for the LA.  But you folk's know this stuff.  I enjoy this news group.  Many great discussions.  TW

                --
                Peace,
                Gallgizzard and Orchestra