cardiac vs gen ultrasound tech

  • ms cs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2010
      When gen.ultrasound techs perform testings,  for example thyroid ultrasound, it is almost like a cardiac tech doing just  one structure within the heart, example-  the mitral valve alone in para long, short, apical 4, 2cham, 3 cham, color, doppler, m mode and subxi etc. ( perhaps more than a thyroid ultrasound!!). Yet on a routine complete echo, we have to do 2D /M /color /dop of all valves, chambers in multiple views . Not to talk about complicated cases and tissue dop/ssn view and subxi view etc as part of the routine.
       How does one  compare the general ultrasound and cardiac ultrasound salaries and how is it decided as to who gets more etc?? Just wondering!!
      Perhpaps we should do echo for each part of the heart as well like the general ultrasound techs.   Just for LV funciton, or MV dis or individual part within  the heart????( well, not practical and I don't think anyone would have the heart to close your eyes while scanning, if we see something quite abnormal  in the other structures, I suppose!!!!
      Just my 2cents worth..
      ms