Re: [echocardiography] number of procedures /day

  • Jim Clark
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2009
      Hey Tom.I think you are right on.
      At the end of the day,
      Did we do the best we could for the patient??
      Did we know in advance we we would see a big time vegetation?
      Did we know we would wait 4 hours to know the cardiologist to respond to his page?

      Bottom line...
      I still believe that the patient comes first.
      Period.
      I have done 15 portables in one shift,
      I actually did none one day.
      I do travel work..and see the difference in coverage by us, in the US.,
      and the need by our patients.

      I guess the most important thing is that you don't burn out.
      Tell your supervisor you need help to get the work done.
      If you leave because of the load,
      the "next person " will inherit that load too.
      And we all know how it is to train a NU B on theses finikyl computer plans for ",active, active again, now " press in progress", now change to complete. Is patient still at the previous state? "
      Did the wizard let you bill now?????

      1) for being there ...93307
      2) you turned on the color ( 93320)
      3) you did doppler!
      4) you pushed the machine there to do the test (port)
      5) the TEE's are scheduled by people who ALWAYS get lunch on time.
      5.a) the docs want to do TEE's on lunch so they can get back to the office.
      6) they don't know how long it takes to clean the probe.
      7) good or bad test, the probe still needs cleaning
      8) did I mention that this only happens when the doc shows up on time?

      I digress, any opinions out there?
      Even you docs that show up late? :-P
      Indeed, time is a commodity.
      If the patient always comes first..
      then the person who denies/forbids overtime , should  be more aware.

      If you leave because you don't get overtime,
      or were told not to work over,
      then the  everyone loses.But , if you convince your manager, what you feel in your heart for the goal that is to treat the patient like your boss's mom or dad, and then truly ask what they would be right for their parents.
      Its not the # of tests, its the quality of the time to do your best,the patient knowing that,
      and sometimes butting heads withe doc who either ordered the test, or a resident that just wants paper in hand.

      If you do not feel you are serving the patient as well as you could.
      Tell her/him the toll of that there only 60 seconds in a minute,
      and you feel like your using 58 of them every hour.
      If you don't, you will , Learn and Burn.

      Just my humble opinion, nothing to back it up except 25 years in echo.

      From: muniza yousuf <munizay@hotmail. com>
      Subject: [echocardiography] number of procedures /day
      To: echocardiography@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 5:20 PM

      Dear All,

      I need your suggestions, how do u  allocate specific number of echos/day to each tech, before starting the day list or day before, so that each tech perform equal number of procedures? And, who does it, either ur managers or your senior techs?

      Muniza

    • Thomas Kusant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
        Hey Jim,
            Do I sense a touch of sarcasm and bitterness?
           I appreciate your comments but some places are sweat shops and don't appreciate the work or the struggle for quality when your looking through lungs filled with nicotine and tars from fifty years of smoking and abuse.
           You know how humbling it is to work for  while and come into a new situation with different equipment and different pacs system.
           You have me beat by about eight years. It is good not to get involved in the politics and subterfuge that can swirl around a cardiology department. It can be crushing sometimes.
                                                                     Grace and peace to you!
                                                                                      Tom

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
          Hey Tom, thanks for the response,
          no not bitter,...
          I tell my patients that I have been doing this for awhile,
          and that I think I am getting the hang of it!
          And I usually add,
          when I don't think this is cool to look at the heart in motion..
          I will just walk away into the sunset..:-P

          Best regards,
          Jim Clark Jr RDCS/LVN/ Human being
          jlcjr5505@...