Measuring IVRT

  • Clifford Thornton
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2008
      QUESTION:

      What is the best method for measuring the IVRT?

      To measure the IVRT, is the CW or PW method more preferable?

      Thanks,

      Cliff

    • Paula gehr
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
        According to Gulf Coast Institute  which I just attended last week the answer is CW. If anyone needs a refresher or just beginning ECHO that already has a registry or is a MD wanting to learn ECHO I highly recommend this course. Very good lecture and hands on.
                                                                                          Merry Christmas,
                                                                                                  pg

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
          Either CW or PW may technically be used, however much of the
          published work used pulsed wave Doppler for myocardial performance
          for either ventricle.

          PW is more regionally sensitive and usually can be set to obtain
          superior demarcation of valve opening and closure events. Increasing
          sample size may helps, as well as using rejection filters for
          increased noise.

          Most textbooks you will see PW waveforms demonstrating the
          measurement of IVRT/IVCT.

          Rick

          --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, Clifford Thornton
          <cmt51597@...> wrote:

          > QUESTION:
          >
          > What is the best method for measuring the IVRT?
          >
          > To measure the IVRT, is the CW or PW method more preferable?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Cliff

        • TJ
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
            --- In echocardiography@yahoogroups.com, Paula gehr
            <smart_girl1998@...> wrote:

            > According to Gulf Coast Institute  which I just attended last week
            the answer is CW. If anyone needs a refresher or just beginning ECHO
            that already has a registry or is a MD wanting to learn ECHO I highly
            recommend this course. Very good lecture and hands on.

                                                                                              Merry
            Christmas,

            pg

            I prefer to measure IVRT and IVCT using a clean tissue Doppler sample
            of the mitral annulus. I find CW to be too cluttered with spurious
            echos even if the gain is optimized. Many machines include these time
            measurements under the tissue Doppler setting.

            PEACE and Merry Christmas

            TJ Whelan RDMS, RDCS, RVT, FASE
          • Mark Harry
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
              I have found that If the patient is in sinus rhythm, the most accurate way is to use PW Doppler. Position your sample volume at the level of the aortic valve in the apical window and measure the time from the Q wave on the ECG to the closur of the aortic valve. Then place your sample volume at the level of the mitral valve in the apical window and measure from the Q wave on the ECG to the opening of the mitral valve.  The difference between the two measurements is the IVRT.  Always sweep at the fastest sweep speed.

              Mark Harry RDCS
              Cardiac Ultasound Consulting

              On Dec 12, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Clifford Thornton <cmt51597@...> wrote:

              QUESTION:

              What is the best method for measuring the IVRT?

              To measure the IVRT, is the CW or PW method more preferable?

              Thanks,

              Cliff

            • Udaya kumar
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
                Thanks Mark for the good information
                Could you please tell me what the normal IVR time is?
                When can we assume there is pulmonary hypertension?
                What's wrong with using CW doppler?
                ..Udayakumar

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
                  Normal is around 70 to 100 milliseconds.  Patients with impaired relaxation will have an IVRT over 100 milliseconds.  You can use CW Doppler but I believe the temporal resolution of the CW technique is not as good, particularly in a patiens with a dilated cardiomyopathy.

                  Mark J. Harry RDCS
                  Cardiac Ultrasound Consulting

                  On Dec 26, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Udaya kumar wrote:

[...]

                  Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.