Re: [echocardiography] Re: Computer Science Degree from UM

  • Richard S Jachimowicz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi,I would hope that you could walk in and produce a
      diagnostic echo.I think you should be able to adapt
      to and learn the protocols used in a few days,as well
      as operate whatever system they use independantly.Of
      course there will be clearical functions too. Good
      luck it's not like climbing moun everest.

    • KEVIN PULLINS
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        in regards to diagnostic echo..that takes a complete thinking process of cardiovascular hemodynamics and comfortzone to how things came to be and where they are going in muscle,blood,anatomical behavior..this takes a complete program of cardiac and vascular criteria/resource education. first then the systems networking and understanding the image captures,loops,archival comes Way way way after the beginnings of cardiac knowledge.most folks are comfortable with how the heart works in BASIC after three years. then the extrapulation of what you can really help the physicians with patient care and foward think as to; what image can you produce that shows IMPORTANT needs and standard criteria within the Echocardiography standards and protocols.i would think your request to be this field is in comparo to a software wizz wanting to go systems security networking...two completely different directions..although some warm terms that may coinside. not real potential for good patient care..but..doable if the heart and want is there.

        ymailto="mailto:echocardiography%40yahoogroups.com">echocardiography@ yahoogroups. com

      • Gerson Lichtenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          Juan, first of all congratulations for enrolling in a CAAHEP accredited program and doing this well. I would agree with some of the previous comments both in the general usefulness as well as the fact that this is not something of primary interest in hiring an echocardiographer. The primary interests should be a comprehensive knowledge of the field and, very importantly, the demonstration of excellent thinking, reasoning and problem-solving skills.

          If you want to get more information of what labs in that area will be looking for, you might want to walk into a few them and, with brief, carefully prepared questions, ask the lab supervisors to tell you what they are currently looking for in new hires. This might help you know what is important for you to concentrate on and develop during your education.

          Best of luck!
          Gershom Lichtenberg, RDCS
          Echocardiographer
          Rambam Healthcare Campus