Re: [echocardiography] Re: Portable Studies --Stop Whining !!!!

  • reality check
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 29, 2008
      Cliff,

      Thats an interesting story. In relation to unloading or loading heavy ultrasound equipment ,sometimes the FIRST incident of faulty equipment or a combination of things is a warning for future incidents , that can make you take preventive measures.. For instance , when an ultrasound machine almost ran me over ,heres what occured. It was a rainy day ,the wheels were wet , when machine was loaded on the lift the wheels did not stay stationary because the wheels were wet and the  weight of the machine on the lift enabled an incline ,therefore the machine rolled BACK , this instance is a combination  ,it was the weight of the machne being too much for the lift creating the incline as well as the  wet wheels and the machine rolling back , if the machine rolls over your foot then it makes you fall backward ..imagine being on the lift , the machine catching your foot and falling back off the lift , but your foot still under the machine !  Bottom line is the bigger machines are too heavy for the industrial lifts ,which creates an incline and the machine whether the wheels lock well, whether they are wet doesn't matter . The only way to find this out unfortunately ,is the hard way ! The  temporary fix is placing something behind the wheels so that the machine doesn't roll back ........I am sure others may have their own incidents to share regarding lifts and ultrasound machines.
      Clifford Thornton <cmt51597@...> wrote:
      the bottom line in life is that the best person to watch out for your safety is yourself.  I was in the Navy and moved around 2000 lb. bombs.  they gave us all the safety training, safety videos and safety equipment.  But, there is no substitute for total awareness and just watching out for your own safety.  One time the crane operator swung the 2000 lb. bomb just a little too close to the rail and missed me by a hair (I was standing between the bomb and the rail as we were loading the bombs into the holds).  If I wasn't paying full attention at that exact second and high-tailed it out of there, I would have been a pancake!  No one can be as aware for your own safety as yourself.  In my case, everyone else involved in the operation was too busy focused on their specific tasks and their own respective safety to tell me to WATCH OUT!!

      My point is two-fold: 1.  you've got to be super-aware when working with heavy equipment and 2.  even with the best safety plan, close-calls or actual accidents can and do occur

      With that said the best piece of safety equipment that we have available is our brain.

      Cliff

      reality check <sparklexxxxx@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      To Jamie , the mobile tech.

      The injuries described are extensive.

      If you don't mind sharing with the group HOW injuries such as this occured.Fractures and shattered bones in the spinal column sound more consistant with injuries sustained by the machine falling on you while loading or unloading , I have loaded and unloaded am HP 5500 too many times in the past to mention ,yes 2 to 3 times a day and my biggest fear then was to be ran over and killed by a machine that I use to earn a living . I no longer do Mobile US in that sense ,but many occasions where I could have had the machine run me over, but was saved by fate ...please share how this injury occured please.

      Clifford Thornton <cmt51597@yahoo. com> wrote:
      at the same time, there's nothing wrong with pushing for change.  if we as techs don't, then who will.  when the first astronauts were shown their first capsule it had no window/port hole.  they demanded it and got it.  we've got to work with administration to make things more efficient and straightforward and cut down on all these injuries.  you shouldn't have to destroy your body to earn a paycheck.  wear and tear of course, there's no way you can afford that, but if we start accepting that major work-related injuries are OK and "that's just a part of the job" then we are just hurting ourselves.

      Jamie Winebarger <j_winebarger2003@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      I myself workin in a traveling ultrasound role and have to load a machine in and out of a van take it into many different places and move the room to my liking. Some may say yeah but thats once or twice a day, maybe three times. Well it would be ok if last Feb. I hadn't shattered two vertibrae in my back and fractured 5 in my neck; had to have two titanium rodes and ten screws inserted. But I know I choose my career and I have two chooses; Live with the career I choose and Knew I would have to move a heavy machine around or get another career.

      It has only been a year yet I have been doing mine since last August with little or no complaints. Yes I hurt but its mostly from where I broke my back and where they took hip bone out to repair my back.  I am not saying this to whine or complain but my point is; When you got in to doing ultrasounds in a hospital environment, you should have known from  your clinicals that you would have to do mobile ultrasounds and that meant moving a heavy machine around. If you didn't like it then, you should have dropped out or made up your mind that the money is good and your going to do what you have to.

      Jamie

      reality check <sparklexxxxx@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Ed....... You sound very resourceful. .... However ,I have a much more resourceful antidote ...I simply have the nurse stand on a chair in front of the window draping the blanket as far and as wide as her arms will allow ...the only thing I hate about that is hearing the nurse WHINE, " are you almost done ,my arms are killing me "

      To add to the comment about equipment these days being much more portable and maneuverable .....Phillips IE 33 thought they revamped their machine for ALL ergonamic purposes...Well they got it wrong they made the machine worse IMO, its so long you can't turn it around corners ,you can't get it back far enough so as to reach a patients neck or upper extremity , without massive furniture moving , if you try and push the machine to turn corners , you seperate your rib cartlisge from the ribs themselves .....

      To comment on the remark , "either do it or move on to another career " ?
      ( Snicker ) <---- THAT was WELL  thought out !!!!

      The reality of the situation is ........WE ALL have different issues , there is NO EASY FIX, unless ofcourse we can manufacture a remote transducer that can capture images from a remote cart somehow .

      I personally NEVER thought a thing about pushing the machine  up a hill , down a hill ,even if the room was a mile away , until I had some of my OWN injuries to deal with ....so for those with injuries where career change is NOT an option ,I FEEL for you and for those whi have never had an injury and the machine maneuvering has never been a thought ,I remember that too.

      We must all take into account everyones circunstance and feelings.

      I especially enjoy the calling for a  "STAT ER " , patient 20- 40 year old ,that refuses to come to the dept because they are hungry and need to eat first !

      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 10, 2008
        Yes.  I too used cardboard or a blanket pined to the window.   The things we do.
        Mary Lou RDCS