Crazy windy seabreeze day

  • Clyde
    Message 1 of 15 , May 22, 2012

      Perfect conditions for a strong seabreeze allowed for recreating in all nearshore waters from Brevard all the way to Hobe Sound. Who knows maybe it was even more wide spread.

      For south county, my sentinnel wind sensor was Sebastien Inlet http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/  which beat the iWindsurf array by about a half hour. When we left, iWindsurf best numbers were barely double digit but Sebastien Inlet was already pumping 20.

      Fun day on the river and from what I heard,  the ocean too.

    • floridawavesailor
      Message 2 of 15 , May 23, 2012
        some seabreeze possible today also. this weekend has a chance for ne-e winds both days.. nws below. Mike's report from hobe sound was sweet.. all afternoon down the line riding with south winds frisky at times. hope he(and others) post some of their excitement. Best wishes

        NWS Melbourne .MARINE...
        TODAY...SOUTHERLY NOCTURNAL WIND SURGE 15-20 KNOTS OVER THE OPEN
        ATLC WILL DECREASE BY SUNRISE. WINDS NEAR THE COAST WILL TURN
        ONSHORE (E/SE) BY AFTN BEHIND SEA BREEZE CIRCULATION AND INCREASE
        NEAR 15 KNOTS. THERE SHOULD BE A HIGHER COVERAGE OF SHOWERS AND
        STORMS SOUTH OF THE CAPE...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE TREASURE COAST...
        AS MOISTURE INCREASES FROM THE SOUTH. SEAS UP TO 5 FT OFFSHORE
        EARLY THIS MORNING BUT THIS WILL SETTLE BACK TO 3 FT BY LATE AFTN.
        SHOULD SEE SOME INCREASE IN SE WINDS TONIGHT AROUND 15 KNOTS WITH
        SEAS 3-4 FT.

        THURS-SUN...WEAK LOW/INVERTED TROUGH LIFTS NORTHWARD OF CUBA THROUGH
        THE FL STRAIGHTS INTO THURS. THIS TROUGH SHIFTS NORTHEASTWARD OF THE
        FL PENINSULA INTO EARLY WEEKEND BEFORE SHIFTING BACK WESTWARD
        SUNDAY. ONSHORE WINDS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN ADVANCE OF THIS SYSTEM
        AND REMAIN ELEVATED AS IT PULLS AWAY FROM FLORIDA. HOWEVER MODELS
        CONTINUE TO DIFFER IN EXACT STRENGTH OF E/NE WINDS OVER THE WATERS
        DURING THIS TIMEFRAME. WINDS UP TO 15-20 KNOTS LOOK LIKELY...
        ESPECIALLY OFFSHORE...WITH SEAS UP TO 6 FEET. HOWEVER HAZARDOUS
        BOATING CONDITIONS WITH SLIGHTLY STRONGER WINDS/HIGHER SEAS STILL
        POSSIBLE DURING THE WEEKEND.

        --- In ecfw@yahoogroups.com, "Clyde" <clydepeggy@...> wrote:

        > Perfect conditions for a strong seabreeze allowed for recreating in all
        > nearshore waters from Brevard all the way to Hobe Sound. Who knows maybe
        > it was even more wide spread.
        >
        > For south county, my sentinnel wind sensor was Sebastien Inlet
        > http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/ <http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/>
        > which beat the iWindsurf array by about a half hour. When we left,
        > iWindsurf best numbers were barely double digit but Sebastien Inlet was
        > already pumping 20.
        >
        > Fun day on the river and from what I heard, the ocean too.

      • mike colombo
        Message 3 of 15 , May 23, 2012
          Good call on the weather Clyde. The wind was side to side off at first then came slightly on for a few hours then turned back to side to slightly off. I was overpowered on 5.6 and a 102 L board from about 3-6  definitely could have sailed 4.7.  The waves looked small at first but  had some push. waist to shoulder was the average.  The low tide killed the swell however enough remained for some good jumps. Testing a new twin fin setup and possible photoshoot gear, with permission, there may be some pics to follow.

          Perfect conditions for a strong seabreeze allowed for recreating in all nearshore waters from Brevard all the way to Hobe Sound. Who knows maybe it was even more wide spread.
          For south county, my sentinnel wind sensor was Sebastien Inlet http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/  which beat the iWindsurf array by about a half hour. When we left, iWindsurf best numbers were barely double digit but Sebastien Inlet was already pumping 20.
          Fun day on the river and from what I heard,  the ocean too.

        • peterscustomshapes
          Message 4 of 15 , May 23, 2012
            I'm into seeing some pics of that new twin fin set-up.
            Is it anything like my single-twin turbos?
            Brian
          • mike colombo
            Message 5 of 15 , May 23, 2012
              Sorry pics didn't turn out! Good session though....

              Message 6 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic of a single-twin fin arrangement here. There's some pics of some on www.pistolrivershapes.weebly.com if you haven't seen one yet.
                Surfboard shaper Bill Thrailkill started making single-twins about 10 years ago on surfboards. Its what I've been riding the last 3 years on WS & SUP. The twin fins are about 2" apart on a single twin.
                Then there's the AHD "Twingle" Diony rides. The fins are a bit futher apart on that setup. Somewhere between a regular twin and a single-twin.
                It wouldn't surprise me if the single-twin setup becomes more popular with production boards in the near future. The slot box can only help.
              • floridawavesurfer
                Message 7 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                  Really similar, but with 2mm additional rake and spread.
                  Spiral V is increased then thermally activated into a hyper-lift trailing edge.
                  Really fresh design for 2013

                  --- In ecfw@yahoogroups.com, peterscustomshapes <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > I'm into seeing some pics of that new twin fin set-up.
                  > Is it anything like my single-twin turbos?
                  > Brian

                • peterscustomshapes
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                    Its also very critical where the desalinators and activated carbon filters go.
                  • William Anzueto
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                      I hit Jupiter Beach (Kite Beach Marker 31) at 6 PM yesterday. 11'3 SUP
                      and 6.0 Sail. Wind was 10-12knts perfectly cross shore for the
                      first 15 mins befor starting to go offshore cross shore. A couple of
                      of surfers were on the 1-2' shore pound.

                      Once the wind shifted it got pretty tough to play in the waves due to
                      the high dunes. I saw another sailor set up but didn't make it out
                      far enough from the beach to catch the wind. He swapped to a paddle
                      and SUP surfed for a bit.

                      At the end of the session, the wind really shifted off shore and that
                      was what I needed to get back to the start point. A nice sunset with
                      little swells on the outside made for a fun session.

                      Gearing up for more fun this evening and tomorrow morning at Jupiter Beach!

                      --

                      William
                      Palm Beach Gardens, FL
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                        That's true if your goal is to catch a lot of hair

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                          Somehow I just knew the "catching hair" bit was going to be mentioned next... Its good to have the proper hairodynamics.
                        • Steven C. Davis
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 23, 2012
                            My best board goes fast because it tends to get a lot of hair under its tail...

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 24, 2012
                              Yeah, twins seem to catch a lot of hair, best to use good weed fins.....heard Olivier designs are working well, then again could check to see what Leo is using

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 25, 2012
                                It might be hairomatherapy with the good weed fins.
                              • floridawavesurfer
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 26, 2012
                                  The LEO-G twin custom should also be a consideration if sailing at Pistol