DaNews 7-1-09

  • Clyde
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009

      Original Windsurfer History

      The original Windsurfer, California, 1971. A history of the first 10 years by Ted Schweitzer  http://www.originalwindsurfer.com/site/index.html

      Billed as the oldest long distance windsurfing race in the World, it is a marathon endeavor putting competitors in some of the roughest spots on the San Francisco Bay. The history of the race is almost more legendary than the race itself with the likes of windsurfing icons Robby Naish, Ken Winner and local pioneers Bard Chrisman, Steve Sylvester, and Mike Zajicek all putting the names on the trophy over the years... More http://www.formulawindsurfing.org/news.php?id=1591

      PWA Costa Teguise is underway...Freestyle is being reported live this morning. John Carter photos and videos: http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=920

      Starboard announces the new quad fin wave board http://www.quadwindsurfing.com/

      The Tabou quad measures 220 x 53 cms. with a volume of 64 liters. http://www.umipictures.com/

      Thomas an his new quad

    • floridawavesailor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
        i had read the quad fin board stuff a day ago, also reading up on twins. they have been around for decades(Robby Naish and Sierra Emory are shown in videos of old ripping with twins). apparently a fun type of board for riding the right type of wave. And i also stumbled on this blurb from Josh Angulo:

        `My boards are so old skool that they are now new skool. I've seen the whole circle happen fifteen years ago and people will be riding single fins with longer more drawn out outlines in the upcoming years more than they have recently, simply because the water flow and characteristic make it a much easier and user friendly type of ride. You also gain more control and thus confidence on the wave. That's extremely important for wave sailing.'

        he also mentioned in a different site that when he won a world wave title he was riding somewhat shorter wider boards and they were more user friendly in the conditions where contests were..

        since i don't break boards like i used to, i have too many, yet there is desire for something new, shorter, perhaps multiple fins. But really what i want is some down the line waveriding(but enjoying the break and getting some overdue projects done) and hopefully use all my stuff. Best wishes, john in jupiter

        Board quiver:
        70l rastaboard.. heavy polyester
        74l jp 04 ... need to get back on this one
        81l maui project 00 light fun classic
        95l freewave fanatic 08 does it all
        95l rrd twintip 99 lightwind performer

        honorable mention to the angulo phaser(sweet board), hi-tech wave, jp 255wave, airtime asym., rastaboard, and hi-tech slalom retired(mostly buckled), all hanging from my ceiling..