friday session

  • floridawavesailor
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10 5:44 PM
      sailed 4.7 and 95 freewave, Alex used 5.2 and 104ish freestyle, Rob was 5.9. small local windwaves around low tide, steady warm se winds. saw alex waterstart out of a forward loop going out and also a nice flaka(he said) on the inside.. Best wishes, john in jupiter
    • floridawavesailor
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 12, 2010
        i only put the 4.7 in the car, overpowered sideshore sse, small trace of north swell and local south waves, got so windy near the end(of my session, not the wind) i had to hold onto my gear(as it twisted,tweaked and torqued) or it threatened to fly away.. it went from still to windy in the instant of a gust this morning, sailed late morning into early afternoon before picking up kids at school. warm wind and water. Best wishes, john in jupiter
      • floridawavesailor
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 17 7:19 AM
          sailed 4.7zone and 95freewave at jupiter inlet southside. while winds blew all day, it picked up stronger mid to later afternoon, so good timing. it was good for testing wisdom teeth vs shortboard planing, and with my cheek sewed to my tongue it was best i stayed out of breaking waves scenario that Mike and Alex played in further south(Alex was apparently doing freestyle in smooth inside of the inside break).

          seems less windy this morning but also better se wind angle and possible afternoon increase in velocity. Best wishes, john in jupiter
        • floridawavesailor
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 6, 2010
            sailed jupiter inlet noonish, 4.7 and 81wave. sideoff with small short period waves, still found a few really clean faces to go down the line.. potential is there if wave size increases. typical sideoff winds had lulls and gusts. already missing the warmer weather, i'm ok if the sun shines, but if it is cloudy then i freeze regardless of suit. Best wishes, john in jupiter
          • floridawavesailor
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2010
              sailed 11:30am-1pm, 5.4 and 95 freewave. swell was smaller, connected a few long vertical setwaves but those were rare, mostly shorter moments, still it was sunny and fun. had a nice swell downwind inside that peaked up for down the line ride right in front of and leading to shorebreak rockgarden, water color was so beautiful at that moment i just enjoyed it and kicked out at the end just in time.. had to leave it blowing again.. Best wishes, john in jupiter
            • floridawavesailor
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 31, 2010
                kinda a wierd day.. seems i was at the beach for 6 hours yet only sailed one, if that.. and to support that stuck in time feeling was Mike showing up with gear(after maui and punta san carlos... jupiter?). Alex was there, moving uncharacteristically(that is a long word) slow, as we checked different spots(then he had to go get gas).. oh yeh, Steve got there early and just sailed, good job Steve. we finally settled just south(upwind) of the kiters.. sailed 4.7 and jpwave78.. Mike was 5.5 and Alex was 5.2(his only sail till repairs made. Rob showed up late. water color was nice blue in places.. winds had some frisky in them, they started sideonshore then adjusted to onshoresideon.. i had a moment that all came together for me, a beautiful overhead vertical waveface perfect for a backloop, it has been months since i even tried one.. my speed was good with plenty power in the sail, was able to get high then a slow rotate into a nosefirst landing and sailaway.. now will probably have to wait another year for the next one.. Best wishes, john in jupiter
              • floridawavesailor
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                  winds were still frisky later morning as the tree branches danced, and i rigged 4.2. sailed an hour at the inlet, launched not from the corner this time, but up the beach at bottom of cam, e-ese angle had us sailing out heading to the north.. i was powered first few runs then noticed the lulls sneaking in, it seemed to do a steady fade, i had fun yet stayed inside and close since winds were favoring lighter moments with occasional good gusts.. Mike was there and rigged 4.7 yet not sure he made it out.

                  not sure i can go saturday early when the wind might still have a chance at frisky, yet with possibility of swell and wind angled against it, will check it if able. sunday should have good se-s angled lighter wind and possible ne swell still so will watch that closely too. Best wishes, john in jupiter
                • john
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
                    sailed 5.3spiderslide and 95freewave at hobe sound intracoastal
                    again(beach might have had sweet small swell but better to stay near my
                    kids recently).. winds were sse, enough to plane quite often.. carving
                    downwind 360's both ways, one upwind 360, it is so calm there only chop
                    is my wake i have to cross after transition.. kids were just inside of
                    me on final day of camp doing dip and sein netting. actually had a
                    masttip piece this time so sail shaped up a bit better. sailed a bit
                    over an hour. came home and checked the cam and jupiter was
                    frothing/frisky, much windier for a bit on the beach. Best wishes, john
                    in jupiter
                  • floridawavesailor
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                      sailed 4.7 and 7'8"amigu on jupiter beach in the afternoon.. also tried 5.6combat, a very nice sail. got everything from almost still winds to light to planing, Mike joined me for a while and since we rigged, the winds came and we planed for a bit, also had fun non planing. easy gliding/planing on the 1' wavefaces backwinded, also worked on upwind 360's(made most) and a few downwind 360's. Best wishes
                    • William Anzueto
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                        That's great to hear you got some of it yesterday.

                        I went to Jupiter Beach at 6PM. It was rainy and I stopped at Blueline Paddleboards to check out the 2012 version of my current SUP that just arrived(11'3 Amundson Aquaglide).  New is nice but I'll stick with the older 2008 version because of the mast track.  The mast base on the new one is fixed about 2" further up than my current mast track will allow.

                        I did get to see their SUP race model which allows for a windsurf mast. 12'6 class with a slight displacement nose.  Plenty of rocker and it's very flat.   I'm waiting to get pricing/availability  on the carbon model before deciding which to get.

                        There was more rain in the radar and winds were pretty light at 8knts and dropping.  I skipped the evening session and drove back home with fantasies of new toys :)

                        William
                        Shopping for toys in Jupiter,FL

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 10, 2012
                          short but sweet. almost scary big at hobe sound with sets breaking across large areas. got fooled because it went onshore and light at jupiter in the morning(right in front of me as i rigged for the nice sideshore that quickly turned), so went and did errands. but that cloudline that had brought onshores behind it hung just north of the inlet without movement.. and the stuart windline(772 225 2300), kept insisting windy and sideshore..

                          finally realized and made the short drive north, rigged 5.0 and reveled in the sideshore with logo high sets.. ok really just played like a scared rabbit.. winds unfortunately got funky as the cloudline shifted beyond hobe at that point.. but before that happened did get two waverides.. sets would have lulls, and when i didn't see the mountain ranges with white avalanches in front of me, i got planing quick and blasted through the very long impact zone, picked up the largest choice setwave outside and brought it in.. did one chicken jybe, the second time out i found a great setwave and had a really long ride back in, so far overhead for so long, nothing radical from me, just fun surfing to the clean next vertical sections, sometimes working frontside, sometimes backside.. near shore i got hit from behind by a throwing whitewater and felt serious power from the wave(expected with 14 second period).. never fell in, equipment feels so confident and forgiving.

                          further north jensen cam recorded the winds blowing from 9-4, the direction is not calibrated up there and so nne is really nnw. anyway wierd how it can be light onshore in one place and strong sideshore 10 miles further up the beach.. will have to remember this lesson.. again the cloudline was the clue. Best wishes, john in jupiter
                        • floridawavesailor
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2012
                            obligations kept me from going till after 1pm.. what a different feeling not being way overpowered is. the inlet parking was mostly shut down but managed to get rigged and out there.. sailed in front gauging my upwind ability(not good) relative to going down the line for multiple turns and long runs. water color was nicer blue green on the outside but nasty long strong seaweed was in a few places inside and out. got on several overhead waves but didn't go far down the line, choosing instead to maintain easy reach to my parking. finally decided to take a nice one down the line, had to bear off early to beat the big long closeout/fast section outside then got to turn on the shoulder for several turns. rode a few like that in middles getting more downwind after longer rides.. finally grabbed the final two to get me way downwind to corners. nice to find an easy inside section there, would be good for a launch(Dan launched and played here the other day). anyway ran back up the beach the mile plus to my car at inlet then drove down south to my equipment.. beach is gone along a long stretch(and everywhere else as inlet closing showed), a lot of closed broken stairways, fencing, some rocks, one large tall palm tree complete with roots and frawns, etc. no other sailors made finishing the session a bit sooner my reality.. Best wishes, john in jupiter
                          • floridawavesailor
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
                              wind was lighter and onshore feeling.. 4.7 core.. people in the water and onshore component had me frustrated early(no room), but after a couple got out, i had enough room to work it, rode waves(babypool) backwinded and normal, backwinded was cool with front hand/arm out surfer style and back hand only on the boom but fingers extended out so only palm touching while gliding on the waveface, was taking them to the dry beach edge again, timed some well to weight the outside foot(whichever foot was further away from dry sand)to float the tail and fin out and off the beach on transitions.. made a few more board and sail upwind 360's, fell on a few.. tacks were good and confident when needed, even a waveface gybe into clew first sailing to avoid wiping out some kids. went a bit earlier to catch full low tide so shallow and breaking more right near shore at the right spots. hot and sunny, sweet summer session. the faces, looks, and watchers seemed to imply that it looked really fun, playful and easy, like they wished they windsurfed.. Best wishes, john in jupiter
                            • floridawavesailor
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 29, 2013
                                sailed in the afternoon after a call from Alex, we both sailed 4.7's, not planing(i planed borderline a few times out and a few times in), mostly stayed right near shore and shallows and practiced frontwind, backwind, and everything(almost) in between... Dasher was already sailing when we got there a bit downwind, never seen him on the water like that, could tell he was good immediately, he can do things i can't even think of, but saw a lot of backwinding and tricky transitions, he sailed upwind quickly and joined us for a bit.. i did my upwind board and sail 360's again, Alex said that was how he started training for takas(that he does so well now, those high speed in the air 360's), anyway, we had fun, the question will remain whether it was planing weather if we had bigger sails, not sure. saw stronger winds forecast for sunday, also an iwindsurf mention of how windy it is in hatteras north carolina. Best wishes, john in jupiter