Re: [eccopro] Help! I have 3.0. and I want to upgrade and update.

  • Nick Gordon
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      Eccogroupies,

      On Friday, February 1, 2002, 5:16:30 AM, 5dollars@... wrote:

      d> I have Ecco Pro 3.0 and used it effectively for years. I made the
      d> dumbass mistake of giving MS Outlook a fair trail and ended up using
      d> it, much to my chagrin, since it would sync with my Visor. Okay, I
      d> got fooled again.

      Well, we all make mistakes!

      d> I want to return to Ecco Pro. Please help me by directing me to the
      d> information and downloads that will bring me up to date.

      Contact Neal Gantz (nealdantz@...) who can help with
      upgrades. You'll need version 4.01.1 to sync with the Visor. Ecco's
      built-in Palm sync is as good or better than any 3rd party solution.

      d> I also hope that there is a conduit for Pocket PC since I am
      d> considering an IPAQ. I currently have a Visor running Palm OS.

      As I said, the Visor you can sync straight off. For Pocket PC, you'll
      need a 3rd party solution: XtndConnect from Extended systems
      (www.xtndconnect.com), which I have used between Ecco and a PPC, or
      PDASync from Laplink (which actually looks like an OEM version of
      XtndConnect, but is cheaper). Both are reasonably funcitonal.

      d> To further my venture into fantasy, I would eventually like to use
      d> Ecco Pro in a Linux environment and still be able to sync with a PDA.

      Hmmm.. I have had Ecco running via WINE, but w/o the sync. I think you
      can do it via something like Win4Lin or similar.

      d> Any help is appreciated.

      d> DB

      HTH

      --
      Best regards,
      Nick
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
        Debbie:
        It's a long time back that I installed 4011-32 but
        I *think* it the install makes backups of system
        files.
        Here's a more general system management idea:
        While nothing beats a full backup, the next best
        thing might be system restorer software.
        [With NT4] we use ConfigSafe from
        http://www.imagine-lan.com [site is down just now]
        or 1800-372-9776 [called just now].

        ConfigSafe prompts you, when you commence an
        install, "Do you want to take a snapshot of your
        system settings?"
        Answer "Yes" and you get a saved state of your
        system that you can easily restore. My version is
        3.0x, is 4.0 and works with W98SE. Price ~$45
        ~ $45. It has been a lifesaver, countless times. [In
        sales, I'm forced to use vendor software, often
        slap-dash, thrown-together stuff. When than junk
        messes me up, I just restore using ConfigSafe,
        then go to the newly-created folders and destroy
        them.
        You can make it do pre-selected automatic -saves
        in case you forget.

        There are other products, including GoBack
        that I've not tried.

        Good luck !

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002

          As I said once before, anyone who wants ECCO should post their address here or contact the members directly. I am sure that more than one kind-hearted soul will help you out. It seems to me that there is only one person making money on Ecco right now. BTW, I delight in misspelling his name and I am sure he will be responding to your post asking you to contact him directly at his email and not at this group, as he has several licenses FOR SALE.

          I was lucky enough to have someone send me a copy and later the original of Ecco 4 when I lost my copy of Ecco 3. Whether you get it here, on EBay, or at a garage sale, Netmanage has already collected money for it. I don't know of any places where you can download a fully-functional copy of Ecco 4.

          Do You Yahoo!?
        • peteyur@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
            Are you interested in a copy of version 4.01? It comes with a Palm OS
            synch, and has both 16 bit and 32 bit versions, including ll of the manuals
            on the CD.

            At 05:16 AM 2/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >I have Ecco Pro 3.0 and used it effectively for years. I made the
            >dumbass mistake of giving MS Outlook a fair trail and ended up using
            >it, much to my chagrin, since it would sync with my Visor. Okay, I
            >got fooled again.
            >
            >I want to return to Ecco Pro. Please help me by directing me to the
            >information and downloads that will bring me up to date.
            >
            >I also hope that there is a conduit for Pocket PC since I am
            >considering an IPAQ. I currently have a Visor running Palm OS.
            >
            >To further my venture into fantasy, I would eventually like to use
            >Ecco Pro in a Linux environment and still be able to sync with a PDA.
            >
            >Any help is appreciated.
            >
            >DB

          • Debbie Pomerance

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                When I got into Ecco, I got a copy of version 3 via eBay, then
                bought/downloaded the 4.01 upgrade from the Netmanage web site. However, I
                didn't get the manuals.
                Any idea where I could get a copy of just the manuals?

                reply to: tilden.barger@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Debbie:

                  I'm using Win98SE, and while I did have a problem a while back with WinRAR
                  (a version of WinZip), I've had no problems with ECCO 4.01 ... in fact I
                  wouldn't use anything else ... albeit after that one problem I lost the
                  functionality of an add-on called Catalyst Tools for ECCO.

                  Unfortunately I had to do a complete hard disk reinstall to get rid of
                  WinRAR (don't bother with it ... ever), and when I went to reinstall
                  Catalyst Tools I couldn't find my original disk ... 3.5 floppy.

                  To the rest of the group ...

                  Anyone out there got an install disk for Catalyst Tools that they could
                  download to me? I've tried to get in touch with Catalyst but get no response.

                  Dave

                  At 11:24 AM 2/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Hi -
                  >
                  >I am new to ecco and am about to install ecco 4.011
                  >
                  >I have some questions since this is an older program and I am installing it
                  >on a win98 SE system. I have been Burned in the past installing older
                  >programs, dll-wise - they have messed them up!
                  >
                  >I want to be vigilant about programs that overwrite dlls. I am concerned
                  >that due to its nature of being an 'older' program,it will overwrite
                  >current system *.DLL files with older copies contained in the install
                  >package, circa whenever it was initially released, 1998? 1999?
                  >
                  > I don't want to find this out, after the fact. Since others have
                  >installed this package, I would like to know their experiences, and if they
                  >have created any worthy work-arounds. Due to its age, Does this program
                  >copy in older *.DLLs without asking whether we want to overwrite a "newer"
                  >file.
                  >
                  >If yes, does this program make backup copies of the overwritten *.DLL files
                  >- to provide a clean backout (or to provide the ability to put the newer
                  >ones back in.)
                  >
                  >If older *.DLL files are inserted, Will ecco continue to work if I copy my
                  >original "newer" *.DLL files back over the older ones inserted with this
                  >installation?
                  >
                  >Thanks in advance - your help is much appreciated.
                  >
                  >Debbie

                • Floyd Wige
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
                    Hi FSA!

                    Saturday, February 02, 2002, 12:21:18 PM, you wrote:

                    DGPFS> To the rest of the group ...

                    DGPFS> Anyone out there got an install disk for Catalyst Tools that they could
                    DGPFS> download to me? I've tried to get in touch with Catalyst but get no response.

                    DGPFS> Dave

                    David,

                    I think you'll find it in the files section for download.

                    --
                    Best regards,
                    Floyd

                    mailto:snw@...
                  • Nick Gordon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                      Eccogroupies,

                      On Friday, February 1, 2002, 4:24:33 PM, dpomeran@... wrote:

                      DP> Hi -

                      DP> I am new to ecco and am about to install ecco 4.011

                      Welcome

                      DP> I have some questions since this is an older program and I am installing it
                      DP> on a win98 SE system. I have been Burned in the past installing older
                      DP> programs, dll-wise - they have messed them up!

                      DP> I want to be vigilant about programs that overwrite dlls. I am concerned
                      DP> that due to its nature of being an 'older' program,it will overwrite
                      DP> current system *.DLL files with older copies contained in the install
                      DP> package, circa whenever it was initially released, 1998? 1999?

                      The Ecco installer offers to back up any files that it changes in a
                      Backup folder in the Ecco directory. Mine doesn't have any .dll's in
                      it.

                      DP> I don't want to find this out, after the fact. Since others have
                      DP> installed this package, I would like to know their experiences, and if they
                      DP> have created any worthy work-arounds. Due to its age, Does this program
                      DP> copy in older *.DLLs without asking whether we want to overwrite a "newer"
                      DP> file.

                      DP> If yes, does this program make backup copies of the overwritten *.DLL files
                      DP> - to provide a clean backout (or to provide the ability to put the newer
                      DP> ones back in.)

                      DP> If older *.DLL files are inserted, Will ecco continue to work if I copy my
                      DP> original "newer" *.DLL files back over the older ones inserted with this
                      DP> installation?

                      See above - and I'll note that I've installed Ecco on Windows 3.1, 95,
                      98, 98SE and XP Pro and never ever once had it cause a problem. I
                      think the installer is very well behaved.

                      However - if you're still concerned, either back up your Windows
                      directory and its subdirectories, or use one of the software packages
                      that manages installs.

                      --
                      Best regards,
                      Nick
                      Milton Keynes, UK, where roundabouts go to die
                      nickg@...
                    • 5Dollars
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5, 2002
                        Yes, I'm interested. What is my next step next?

                        I am also interested in a sync for Pocket PC, any info on that?

                        Thanks,
                        DB