ECCO still best PIM and works on a Thumb Drive also on sd card flash drive

  • George Sabin
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
      I tried to find another PIM ... I really did. I tried about a dozen
      other programs after reviewing and researching about 40 PIMs on the
      market over a 4 day period. [About 14 hours a day] nothing comes close
      yet. ECCO still smokes them all hands down for features and especially
      speed. It is extremely fast on a flash drive as well. I had to put a
      few .dll 's in the directory and walla!

      I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit stripped
      down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
      doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.

      Gemx is my next effort to compare. [Large download]

      Barca was decent ... reasonable speed and has E-Mail. Interface wasn't
      configurable enough however. [2nd place]

      Time Chaos was nice but anemic on features. [3rd place]

      EssentialPim was clean but extremely slow. Limited features.

      Infoselect was confusing. [Steep learning curve] and one must ask why.
      It wasn't even close to ECCO.

      AMF was buggy.

      2sync was anemic.

      The rest ... I don't recall and have them uninstalled and stripped
      from my registry allready.

      The SD Card thumb drive is pretty Kewl. I can carry a Windows PE boot
      disk with a 650 meg complete repair and hack tools kit and have my
      Palm Treo files on it as well and an an encrypted drive for personal
      stuff and of course my Beloved PIM ECCO Pro.

      The whole project took about 110 hours.

      Very slick keychain gizmo.
    • John LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
        Very useful review.

        Could you please describe how to make it work with a thumb drive?

        Regards, John LeBlanc

        John LeBlanc, M.D. Home ph: (902) 425-1470
        931 Beaufort Ave Home fax: (902) 423-1982
        Halifax, Nova Scotia Work fax: (902) 470-6913
        B3H 3X8 CANADA Email: John.LeBlanc@...

        On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:09:01 -0000, George Sabin wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • achanak shikra
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
          Second that. It would be really useful if you could tell us which dll's to copy.

          Achanak

          On 11/10/05, John LeBlanc <John.LeBlanc@...> wrote:
          > Very useful review.
          >
          > Could you please describe how to make it work with a thumb drive?
          >
          > Regards, John LeBlanc

          > John LeBlanc, M.D. Home ph: (902) 425-1470
          > 931 Beaufort Ave Home fax: (902) 423-1982
          > Halifax, Nova Scotia Work fax: (902) 470-6913
          > B3H 3X8 CANADA Email: John.LeBlanc@...
          >

          > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:09:01 -0000, George Sabin wrote:
          > I tried to find another PIM ... I really did. I tried about a dozen
          > other programs after reviewing and researching about 40 PIMs on the
          > market over a 4 day period. [About 14 hours a day] nothing comes close
          > yet. ECCO still smokes them all hands down for features and especially
          > speed. It is extremely fast on a flash drive as well. I had to put a
          > few .dll 's in the directory and walla!
          >
          > I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit stripped
          > down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
          > doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.
          >

          > Gemx is my next effort to compare. [Large download]
          >

          > Barca was decent ... reasonable speed and has E-Mail. Interface wasn't
          > configurable enough however. [2nd place]
          >
          > Time Chaos was nice but anemic on features. [3rd place]
          >
          > EssentialPim was clean but extremely slow. Limited features.
          >
          > Infoselect was confusing. [Steep learning curve] and one must ask why.
          > It wasn't even close to ECCO.
          >
          > AMF was buggy.
          >
          > 2sync was anemic.
          >

          > The rest ... I don't recall and have them uninstalled and stripped
          > from my registry allready.
          >

          > The SD Card thumb drive is pretty Kewl. I can carry a Windows PE boot
          > disk with a 650 meg complete repair and hack tools kit and have my
          > Palm Treo files on it as well and an an encrypted drive for personal
          > stuff and of course my Beloved PIM ECCO Pro.
          >
          > The whole project took about 110 hours.
          >
          > Very slick keychain gizmo.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • George Sabin
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
            John LeBlanc ... Very useful review. ... Could you please describe how
            to make it work with a thumb drive?

            PIM ... nothing comes close ... ECCO still smokes them all ... It is
            extremely fast on a flash drive as well.

            Reply:

            After an install you will need to copy the following (4) .dll files to
            your ECCO main directory ...

            ctl3d32.dll
            DATZAP32.dll
            TDLIR32.dll
            protll32.dll

            I deleted:

            CorrMgr Folder
            Maildlls Folder
            Template Folder
            techinfo file
            Internet file
            RealMail.exe
            OpReadme
            Readme
            Api
            ecconfig
            eccotool

            These parts and components are non-essential for the majority of users
            except for those who have had success at tweaking these components. [I
            have not been happy with these features so I removed them]

            I added My Basic Template in the main directory and an advanced
            template Getting things done 3 from the download files. I will post my
            Basic template. [Very basic ... but straitforeward.] I might also post
            an SFX stripped file that drops ecco in the Local temp folder and
            launches it with one double click. This SFX can be specialized in a
            few ways to launch and be used then back-up from the flash drive and
            secure erase the temp install on exit. [A few command lines]

            I have reached my happy place with this ... but if others want to
            develope some flash drive specialized sequence for SFX use and secure
            back-up on the flash and deletion on the "mother" computer. I think it
            a worthwhile effort.

            Drop me an E-Mail if you perfect it. G-R-S@...
          • Joel Choo
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
              Just do a "save as" to a sychronized copy to any drive. We used to even
              do it to floppies...long, long tme ago. No special steps just to get a
              copy to a thumb drive.

              When you plug it back into the network or where the master file is it
              automatically synch's w/o prompting and in SECONDS! That's the most
              awesome part. No klungy interfacing and manually synching like Goldmine
              or others. And when on the network we have 20 guys updating the file all
              at the same time. Everyone can see all the changes - even over the WAN
              link, practicsally in real time (maybe only a sec or two delay). Ecco
              still rocks!

              joel

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 10, 2005
                Hi Joel,

                I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you point to a guide or
                something to help out?

                Jacob

                --- In eccopro@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Choo" <jrc@j...> wrote:

                > Just do a "save as" to a sychronized copy to any drive. We used to even
                > do it to floppies...long, long tme ago. No special steps just to get a
                > copy to a thumb drive.
                >
                > When you plug it back into the network or where the master file is it
                > automatically synch's w/o prompting and in SECONDS! That's the most
                > awesome part. No klungy interfacing and manually synching like Goldmine
                > or others. And when on the network we have 20 guys updating the file all
                > at the same time. Everyone can see all the changes - even over the WAN
                > link, practicsally in real time (maybe only a sec or two delay). Ecco
                > still rocks!
                >
                > joel

              • Davor Cubranic
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 11, 2005
                  George Sabin <G-R-S@...> wrote:

                  I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit stripped
                  down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
                  doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.

                  You still need to have admin privileges on each machine, correct?

                  BTW, I was wondering: could Ecco's binary be modified to use the user
                  local registry, instead of machine-wide? I think that way it might not
                  need the admin privs. It could be very simple if it's just a matter of
                  changing a couple of strings in a hex editor.

                  Davor
                • George Sabin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Davor ... >You still need to have admin privileges on each machine,
                    correct?

                    To use it as an SFX you must have permissions or Admin priveledges.
                    Even if your Directory is placed back on your thumb drive. [The SFX
                    hasn't many benefits unless you are adapting it into a Windows PE
                    "Barts PE" Thumb drive allowing you access to most modern PC's that do
                    not have a boot ot Bios password.]

                    The Thumb drive install with the 4 .dll 's ... works on the machines
                    you place it in. [Regardless if it is a Windows BartPE Boot CD or not]
                    [Unless their permissions are severely limited.]

                    Davor ... >I was wondering: could Ecco's binary be modified to use the
                    user local registry, instead of machine-wide?

                    It doesn't need to if it is entirely installed on a thumb drive.
                    [Unless permissions are too restrictive.]

                    If permissions are too restrictive ... It is possible to bypass most
                    security except a bios password ... by first copying ECCO via a
                    windows PE boot to a directory you can access with your limited
                    permissions and placing a shortcut where you need it in the OS and
                    folder of choice on the Host PC.

                    [The host PC doesn't see it as an install nor a registry change and
                    will only freak on you if you have an active file compare program
                    running ... like "Black Ice" ... Not sure if even Black Ice would
                    catch it though.]

                    George
                  • Tim Bishop
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                      George,
                      This project sounds interesting, but I need a little more context to
                      understand. What is an SFX autolauncher file? What exactly did you do
                      to run ECCO from a Flash Drive -- did you install it to one?

                      Thanks,
                      Tim

                      At 05:09 PM 11/9/2005, George Sabin wrote:

                      >I tried to find another PIM ... I really did. I tried about a dozen
                      >other programs after reviewing and researching about 40 PIMs on the
                      >market over a 4 day period. [About 14 hours a day] nothing comes close
                      >yet. ECCO still smokes them all hands down for features and especially
                      >speed. It is extremely fast on a flash drive as well. I had to put a
                      >few .dll 's in the directory and walla!
                      >
                      >I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit stripped
                      >down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
                      >doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.
                      >

                      >Gemx is my next effort to compare. [Large download]
                      >

                      >Barca was decent ... reasonable speed and has E-Mail. Interface wasn't
                      >configurable enough however. [2nd place]
                      >
                      >Time Chaos was nice but anemic on features. [3rd place]
                      >
                      >EssentialPim was clean but extremely slow. Limited features.
                      >
                      >Infoselect was confusing. [Steep learning curve] and one must ask why.
                      >It wasn't even close to ECCO.
                      >
                      >AMF was buggy.
                      >
                      >2sync was anemic.
                      >

                      >The rest ... I don't recall and have them uninstalled and stripped
                      >from my registry allready.
                      >

                      >The SD Card thumb drive is pretty Kewl. I can carry a Windows PE boot
                      >disk with a 650 meg complete repair and hack tools kit and have my
                      >Palm Treo files on it as well and an an encrypted drive for personal
                      >stuff and of course my Beloved PIM ECCO Pro.
                      >
                      >The whole project took about 110 hours.
                      >
                      >Very slick keychain gizmo.

                    • frdtheman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                        --- In eccopro@yahoogroups.com, "George Sabin" <G-R-S@a...> wrote:
                        > The Thumb drive install with the 4 .dll 's ... works on the machines
                        > you place it in. [Regardless if it is a Windows BartPE Boot CD or
                        not]

                        Could you explain how you arranged things so Ecco can run off a USB
                        drive?

                        Fred.
                      • Davor Cubranic
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                          George Sabin <G-R-S@...> wrote:

                          The Thumb drive install with the 4 .dll 's ... works on the machines
                          you place it in. [Regardless if it is a Windows BartPE Boot CD or not]
                          [Unless their permissions are severely limited.]

                          I'm sorry, I'm not sure what a BartsPE boot CD is, so I may be missing
                          something. But I thought Ecco needs to modify a couple of registry
                          entries under a tree that's usually restricted to admin privileges. (Not
                          surprising, since in 1997 multiple user accounts and privilege levels
                          were not on most application developers' screens yet. :-)

                          Davor
                        • George Sabin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                            Hi Davor:

                            A "standalone" ECCO folder with the .dll's will work without a
                            registry install. I tried it on one laptop [win2k], one dual cpu
                            server [win2k] and one xp pro server ... worked fine.

                            Windows has a Program called Windows PreInstall Environment ... WinPE
                            ... it has been used by system admin people for some time now. Bart is
                            the best known person on the web for creating Boot CD's [has been for
                            years] He has put together the best boot CD system for creating your
                            own Windows PE environment ... http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

                            Essentially it allows you to boot an entire windows XP operating
                            system from a CD or ... yes you guessed it ... a Thumb drive. It is a
                            trimmed down XP environment that has full capabilities to run your
                            windows programs on to fix, hack, repair ... modify registries,
                            retrieve passwords, clean out viruses and rootkits, and remove spyware
                            from the host computer.

                            Since the program is run in Ram and launched from the CD ... complete
                            access and work can be done to the host computer.

                            The SD Card for My Palm Treo [that also goes into my thumb drive] has
                            all my Palm back-up stuff ... a Full XP OS boot disk, and all my
                            important docs, E-Mail, ECCO, Inspiration, and 700 Megs of other
                            software and a hidden encrypted drive as well.

                            [It's a project I needed done for a long time and finally muscled
                            through it. "Perfect security and all critical docs and programs on me
                            at all times and in duplicate."]

                            When this model gets a little faster I will get one. SD card converts
                            to USB.

                            http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat04007&id=1115366130394&skuId=7249694&type=product&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=SHZ

                            George

                            --- In eccopro@yahoogroups.com, Davor Cubranic <cubranic@c...> wrote:

                            > George Sabin <G-R-S@a...> wrote:
                            >
                            > The Thumb drive install with the 4 .dll 's ... works on the machines
                            > you place it in. [Regardless if it is a Windows BartPE Boot CD or
                            not]
                            > [Unless their permissions are severely limited.]
                            >
                            > I'm sorry, I'm not sure what a BartsPE boot CD is, so I may be missing
                            > something. But I thought Ecco needs to modify a couple of registry
                            > entries under a tree that's usually restricted to admin privileges. (Not
                            > surprising, since in 1997 multiple user accounts and privilege levels
                            > were not on most application developers' screens yet. :-)
                            >
                            > Davor

                          • kgragert
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                              The crude but simple way:

                              1 - drag your ECCO folder onto the Flash Drive
                              2 - copy 3 files from windows>system32. DATZAP32.DLL,
                              PROTLL32.DLL, TDLIR32.DLL.
                              3 - on the computer you insert the Flash Drive into, copy the 3 files
                              to windows>system32.
                              DATZAP32.DLL,
                              PROTLL32.DLL,
                              TDLIR32.DLL.
                              This can be a problem if you don't have
                              complete access to the computer.

                              4 - click on ECCO .exe file and it will run.

                              I keep all my other ECCO files on the Flash Drive

                              Like I said it is a crude method, but it works on all the Computers I
                              have used.

                              Ken

                              Ken

                              --- In eccopro@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bishop <geodog@c...> wrote:

                              > George,
                              > This project sounds interesting, but I need a little more context to
                              > understand. What is an SFX autolauncher file? What exactly did you do
                              > to run ECCO from a Flash Drive -- did you install it to one?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Tim
                              >
                              > At 05:09 PM 11/9/2005, George Sabin wrote:
                              >
                              > >I tried to find another PIM ... I really did. I tried about a dozen
                              > >other programs after reviewing and researching about 40 PIMs on the
                              > >market over a 4 day period. [About 14 hours a day] nothing comes close
                              > >yet. ECCO still smokes them all hands down for features and especially
                              > >speed. It is extremely fast on a flash drive as well. I had to put a
                              > >few .dll 's in the directory and walla!
                              > >
                              > >I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit stripped
                              > >down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
                              > >doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.
                              > >

                              > >Gemx is my next effort to compare. [Large download]
                              > >

                              > >Barca was decent ... reasonable speed and has E-Mail. Interface wasn't
                              > >configurable enough however. [2nd place]
                              > >
                              > >Time Chaos was nice but anemic on features. [3rd place]
                              > >
                              > >EssentialPim was clean but extremely slow. Limited features.
                              > >
                              > >Infoselect was confusing. [Steep learning curve] and one must ask why.
                              > >It wasn't even close to ECCO.
                              > >
                              > >AMF was buggy.
                              > >
                              > >2sync was anemic.
                              > >

                              > >The rest ... I don't recall and have them uninstalled and stripped
                              > >from my registry allready.
                              > >

                              > >The SD Card thumb drive is pretty Kewl. I can carry a Windows PE boot
                              > >disk with a 650 meg complete repair and hack tools kit and have my
                              > >Palm Treo files on it as well and an an encrypted drive for personal
                              > >stuff and of course my Beloved PIM ECCO Pro.
                              > >
                              > >The whole project took about 110 hours.
                              > >
                              > >Very slick keychain gizmo.

                            • John LeBlanc
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                                Interesting that this works; I guess all of the items in the registry
                                are optional, e.g., all of an individual's custom settings.

                                On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:57:21 -0000, kgragert wrote:
                                The crude but simple way:

                                1 - drag your ECCO folder onto the Flash Drive
                                2 - copy 3 files from windows>system32. DATZAP32.DLL,
                                PROTLL32.DLL, TDLIR32.DLL.
                                3 - on the computer you insert the Flash Drive into, copy the 3 files
                                to windows>system32.
                                DATZAP32.DLL,
                                PROTLL32.DLL,
                                TDLIR32.DLL.
                                This can be a problem if you don't have
                                complete access to the computer.

                                4 - click on ECCO .exe file and it will run.

                                I keep all my other ECCO files on the Flash Drive

                                Like I said it is a crude method, but it works on all the Computers I
                                have used.

                                Ken

                                Ken

                                --- In eccopro@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bishop <geodog@c...> wrote:

                                > George,
                                > This project sounds interesting, but I need a little more context to
                                > understand. What is an SFX autolauncher file? What exactly did you do
                                > to run ECCO from a Flash Drive -- did you install it to one?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Tim
                                >
                                > At 05:09 PM 11/9/2005, George Sabin wrote:
                                >
                                > >I tried to find another PIM ... I really did. I tried about a dozen
                                > >other programs after reviewing and researching about 40 PIMs on the
                                > >market over a 4 day period. [About 14 hours a day] nothing comes
                                close
                                > >yet. ECCO still smokes them all hands down for features and
                                especially
                                > >speed. It is extremely fast on a flash drive as well. I had to put a
                                > >few .dll 's in the directory and walla!
                                > >
                                > >I have ECCO under 2.5 megs in an SFX autolauncher file. A bit
                                stripped
                                > >down but able to hold years worth of personal data and use with one
                                > >doubleclick on a thumb drive SFX Icon.
                                > >

                                > >Gemx is my next effort to compare. [Large download]
                                > >

                                > >Barca was decent ... reasonable speed and has E-Mail. Interface
                                wasn't
                                > >configurable enough however. [2nd place]
                                > >
                                > >Time Chaos was nice but anemic on features. [3rd place]
                                > >
                                > >EssentialPim was clean but extremely slow. Limited features.
                                > >
                                > >Infoselect was confusing. [Steep learning curve] and one must ask
                                why.
                                > >It wasn't even close to ECCO.
                                > >
                                > >AMF was buggy.
                                > >
                                > >2sync was anemic.
                                > >

                                > >The rest ... I don't recall and have them uninstalled and stripped
                                > >from my registry allready.
                                > >

                                > >The SD Card thumb drive is pretty Kewl. I can carry a Windows PE boot
                                > >disk with a 650 meg complete repair and hack tools kit and have my
                                > >Palm Treo files on it as well and an an encrypted drive for personal
                                > >stuff and of course my Beloved PIM ECCO Pro.
                                > >
                                > >The whole project took about 110 hours.
                                > >
                                > >Very slick keychain gizmo.

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Davor Cubranic
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                                  George Sabin <G-R-S@...> wrote:

                                  A "standalone" ECCO folder with the .dll's will work without a
                                  registry install. I tried it on one laptop [win2k], one dual cpu
                                  server [win2k] and one xp pro server ... worked fine.

                                  Ah, very cool. Thank you! I did not know this.

                                  Windows has a Program called Windows PreInstall Environment ... WinPE
                                  ... it has been used by system admin people for some time now. Bart is
                                  the best known person on the web for creating Boot CD's [has been for
                                  years] He has put together the best boot CD system for creating your
                                  own Windows PE environment ... http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

                                  Essentially it allows you to boot an entire windows XP operating
                                  system from a CD or ... yes you guessed it ... a Thumb drive. It is a
                                  trimmed down XP environment that has full capabilities to run your
                                  windows programs on to fix, hack, repair ... modify registries,
                                  retrieve passwords, clean out viruses and rootkits, and remove spyware
                                  from the host computer.

                                  Even cooler. A recovery disk for my windows laptop. I'm definitely
                                  setting this up for my environment. Thanks a lot!
                                • George Sabin
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                                    About 80 hours into this project I found an ISO image available on the
                                    web torrent files. isohunt should have the torrent address there are
                                    bittorrent is a nice standalone program that can be found along with a
                                    variety of portable softwares on this site ...
                                    http://nedwolf.com/Freeware-Portable.htm

                                    The torrent title should be found under a search for ... tech182
                                    [Saved me another 40-80 hours of project time]

                                    Nicely done WinPe ... only a few bugs. [VNC wasn't loaded correctly]
                                    It seems to handle loading network settings well also.

                                    Of the numbers of like ISO images I have tested [about 10 gigs worth]
                                    This one is the best.

                                    Use "Flashboot" to load it on a USB ...

                                    or PC Mag article explains how ...

                                    Misc WinPe and Flash Boot Links: