Re: Re: Re: Ecco Pro under wine under Linux - I got it working

  • none none
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10 7:35 AM
      Hey. I got it working. I was running the wrong
      executable. I copied the dlls in the ECCO folder to
      the Windows/System folder (I'm not sure if this is a
      necessary step or not). I then ran: wine ecco32.exe
      and it worked fine. Read the message below to know
      what version I'm using (also, I'm using just the
      native dlls, so if you use winesetup to look at the
      DLLs section, all my dlls are: "builtin, native").
      Cheers...

      >> To: eccopro@yahoogroups.com

      >> I installed the 20040615 version of wine and
      wine-utils. I tried the installation again. This
      time, even though it gave me the same errors as before
      (about a deadlock) and seemed to freeze on the screen
      "Looking for installed components", I left it running.
      After about 20-30 minutes, it finally moved on and
      successfully installed. Unfortunately, that's as far
      as it goes. wine eccotool.exe exits with a 255 error
      code.

      >> PS. I'm using the builtin dlls. I'm think of
      trying to run it using the Windows 98 dll.s

      even running under regular Windows, which is a shame
      because the actual application is rock solid. My
      guess is that if you just copy the application files
      over from someone's Ecco installation directory,
      things will run just fine. Ecco does use one or two
      files in the Windows directory, but I know that at
      least one of those gets auto-created if it doesn't
      already exist.

      like Ecco is that Wine should be able to handle it
      pretty easily. I have never tried it myself but would
      be interested in the results. Email me if you'd like
      me to send you a zipped archive of the program directory.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10 2:53 PM
        First bug detected. When I go to the "PhoneBook" tab,
        the application crashes.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Chris Thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10 5:52 PM
          It seems a couple people are reporting that Ecco does run under Wine,
          minus the Phonebook. For the Ecco newbies out there, don't let this
          scare you away. You don't need the Phonebook to do anything in Ecco.
          (In fact, to avoid accidentally causing the program to crash, you can
          hide the Phonebook by choosing File -> Properties, clicking the
          Display tab, and then unchecking Phonebook.)

          Unlike Outlook or Evolution, there are no distinct data types in Ecco
          (this is where the power of Ecco's data model comes from), so you can
          show all the data that you would normally see in the Phonebook by
          simply creating a Phonebook notepad.

          To do this, choose View -> Notepads -> New Notepad, click "Options",
          click "Phonebook", click OK. Choose Column -> Show columns, then
          replace the default three columns with the subset of Phonebook columns
          that is most important to you. Later on, as you become a more
          advanced Ecco user, you may want to create a form to enter Phonebook
          data. You can probably figure this out (especially if you're a Linux
          user). The built-in Phonebook view is really just a convenient form,
          nothing more.

          -- Chris

          On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:53:42 -0700 (PDT), none none
          <vim20002004@...> wrote:
          > First bug detected. When I go to the "PhoneBook" tab,
          > the application crashes.
        • none none
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11 3:46 AM
            Hi,
            Your suggestion seems to be a workaround.
            Unfortunately, I think it's important that someone
            with a substantial amount of experience in using Ecco
            have a quick look at how it runs under wine, since it
            would very frustrating to run into other
            incompatibilities after spending a substantial amount
            of time learning how to use Ecco. Chirs, are you an
            experienced user? If so, could you or anyone else on
            the list test-out Ecco under wine and tell us what the
            results were? Do all the other features (or at least
            most of them) work out fine under wine? Thanks a lot
            for your time...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 3:59 PM
              I'd love to be able to do this, but I don't currently have a running
              Linux machine. (Every so often I install Linux when there's a piece
              of software I really need, most recently an obscure Haskell interface
              toolkit, so I do have some experience with it.)

              My advice to quickly hit most of the major Ecco features would be to:
              1) play around with the Calendar view, creating appointments and
              ticklers (aka. "To-Do's"), expanding the first two sample ticklers you
              get when you create a default file; try editing those like you would
              in an outliner
              2) add columns to the Ticklers view (right click, insert column); get
              a feel for how columns work
              3) switch to Week/Month/Year views, as well as Week and Month outline
              views (you get to these via the new icon that shows up beside the
              Day/Week/Month/Year buttons when you switch to Week/Month view)
              4) right click on an existing ticker, choose Show Item Info; click the
              "To-Do's" row, click the funny button that shows up; you'll get to the
              "Date Settings" dialog -- this is the most important dialog in Ecco
              (the program has at least major strengths over other PIMs, the data
              model, the outlining/hierarchies everywhere and their interaction with
              the data model, and the date engine; this dialog is at the core of the
              date engine), make sure all the parts of it work; repeating dates do
              default to having an ending year of "1999", this is normal and not a
              Wine bug, just increase it to whenever you really want your
              appointment/tickler to end)
              5) select View->Folder window; play around with it a bit
              6) switch to the "How to Use this File" tab and play around with the
              notepad view; a couple menu commands to try out are "View->Choose
              Notepad Folders" and "Tools->Filter View"
              7) try out the form features ("Tools->New Form", etc.)
              8) add the "Time and Expenses" notepad to your file by choosing
              "Tools->Time and Expenses"; you could actually create this by hand,
              it's not an ad-hoc feature (again, the power of Ecco, you could never
              imagine such a thing in Outlook, especially the interaction with the
              calendar, etc.) but this menu item makes it convenient to add it all
              at once to your file; play around with it.
              9) finally, there are four sample templates in the Templates
              subdirectory of your Ecco directory; load each of them and play around
              with them; these will give you a very good sense of what Ecco can do.

              Good luck! Let us know how your experiments turn out,

              -- Chris

              On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 03:46:10 -0700 (PDT), none none
              <vim20002004@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > Your suggestion seems to be a workaround.
              > Unfortunately, I think it's important that someone
              > with a substantial amount of experience in using Ecco
              > have a quick look at how it runs under wine, since it
              > would very frustrating to run into other
              > incompatibilities after spending a substantial amount
              > of time learning how to use Ecco. Chirs, are you an
              > experienced user? If so, could you or anyone else on
              > the list test-out Ecco under wine and tell us what the
              > results were? Do all the other features (or at least
              > most of them) work out fine under wine? Thanks a lot
              > for your time...
            • cicerosc
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2007
                I've seen a number of the older messages on running Ecco on Linux, and
                I am about to test all of this on the Freespire Linux distribution.

                Can anyone let me know if there is any information posted on the net
                about tips for getting this done right?

                Once I succeed I will post my results where they can be found, so if
                anyone can point me to anything to get me started I would appreciate it.

                thanks