Bears Pry 3 Points from No. Country Foes

  • billcorrigan_58
    Message 1 of 1356 , Dec 2, 2001
      Brown took advantage of its fierce determination
      and home ice to earn three additional points in two
      overtime games played at Meehan Auditorium this
      weekend.<br><br>On Friday, the Bears battled Clarkson to a standoff
      highlighted by the terrific goaltending of Brown's sophomore
      Yann Danis (32 saves) and the Golden Knights' junior
      Mike Walsh (21 saves). Although each team had some
      quality offensive chances, both goals were scored on the
      power play and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. Freshman
      forward Brent Robinson was credited with the Bears'
      tally.<br><br>Saturday evening, the Bears clawed back from a 2-0 deficit
      midway through the second period on goals by freshman
      forward Les Haggett and junior defenseman Paul Esdale, to
      force an extra five minutes of play. Once again, both
      goaltenders dominated - Brown senior Brian Eklund (26 saves)
      and the Saints' freshman Kevin Ackley (38 saves) were
      outstanding.<br><br>As the overtime wore down, and the Saints appeared
      to tire somewhat, the Bears had three consecutive
      opportunities in the final 45 seconds to score the winning
      goal. On the final chance, assistant captain Tye Korbl
      managed to skate in alone from the right slot and find an
      opening between Ackley's left pad and blocker to score
      the deciding goal with 8 ticks left on the
      clock.<br><br>This was a spirited, hard-fought contest right from
      the opening faceoff and one that was extremely
      important to both teams from the standpoint of making an
      early move up in the ECAC standings.<br><br>The Bears
      even their ECAC record at 3-3-1 and will host
      travel-partner Harvard next Saturday in college hockey's oldest,
      continuing rivalry as they seek to mirror their 4-2 opening
      night victory over the Crimson this
    • nadieleighphoenix
      Message 1356 of 1356 , Mar 7, 2002
        I warned you, but I guess I feel sorry for you.