[ecaagen] The elusive daughters and grandchildren of Alexander and Emily MURPHY, KY>OHIO

  • TIM AYERS
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
      Seeking information on the daughters of Alexander and Emily MURPHY of
      Mayslick, Mason county, Kentucky. Alexander and his wife, Emily (?) had
      seven children: MARY Francis in 1847, PERRY Thomas in 1849, MELVINIA in
      1853, ROBERT Y. in 1859, CHARLES in 1862, WILLIAM in 1865, and EMMA in
      1867.

      I need information on the above-named daughters, my g-grandfather and
      their descendants. Here's what I know: Perry married Elizabeth JOHNSON
      in Mayslick, KY., in 1873. The 2 had 4 children: Frances in 1873,
      Charles in 1875, Alexander in 1873, and John in 1879. Charles is my
      mother's grandfather, But I don't have much on his sister and brothers.
      He moved from Mayslick, Kentucky to Oberlin, Ohio and lived there until
      moving to Springfield, Ohio around the 1919. He died in 1934. No wife or
      other children are listed in his obituary. What next?

      Melvinia m. Thomas JONES in 1871. The two of them had 4 children. After
      the 1880 Mason county, Kentucky census, nothing is know about the
      whereabouts of
      this family after the 1880 census. Any suggestion on where to look?

      Emma was lasted reported in Perry's 1934 OBIT as living in Mt. Sterling,
      Montgomery county, KY. Nothing else is known about her after
      that!! Where do I start to look for her?

      Mary m. Thomas BALL in 1875. The two of them had nine children, of which
      five were still living by the 1900 census. The five children are as
      follows: Mattie (SMALL), Ida (LEE), Thomas, Jr., Erly(?), and Lula.
      Where are the last three children? Tom, Jr., was found in Wisconsin; Ida
      married
      a Lee ALEXANDER and lived in Cleveland, Ohio in the 1910s and later back
      in Maysville,
      Kentucky in the 1920s; and Mattie remained at home to care for her
      father.

      Two other brothers, Robert and William MURPHY lived in Elyria and
      Oberlin, Ohio.
      The remaining brother, Charles, is reported as having lived in Nebraska.

      Lastly, provide me with some tips on locating their slave owners. I
      believe both Emily and Alexander came to Mason County, Kentucky as slave
      from Virginia.

      ***********************************
      Tim Ayers, Manager
      Small Business Division
      Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
      (615) 259-4775
      (615) 256-3074 - Fax
      EMAIL: tayers@...
      "Come see the Grand New Nashville"
      Ranked as one of the Best Cities in the U. S. for small business growth!

      Check out ChamberWeb & Our Affiliates at
      http://www.nashvillechamber.com http://www.musiccityusa.com
      http://www.nashvilleschool2career.citysearch.com
      http://www.healthcarecouncil.com & http://www.nashvillesports.com

    • TIM AYERS