Re: [ebook-community] Recourse against "Type II" errors?

  • Mary E Tyler
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      >and as you say, not one that the company is apt to fix
      >(since the root of this is typically real piracy of one sort or another,
      >rather than the innocent but unverifiable-copyright scenario you have) -- but
      >the "blame" has nothing to do with the tape-to-computer leg, I think.

      Don't fool yourself, Jim, real piracy, the kind that we all do have
      to worry about is done with multi-duplicating machines that cost
      millions. It's financed with drug money and run by the mobs and tongs
      of this world. They don't have the stupid software, they have the
      expensive smart stuff. It is just another case of preventing the user
      from doing what he should be allowed to do for fear he might do what
      he is not supposed to do. ie the same arguement we have over DRM in
      ebooks.

      dej
      Caught between love and lust, despair and determination, a golden
      boy and a troubled man, Elayne is On the Edge.
      http://www.skatefic.com/PIshop/OTE_order.php3
      Buy On the Edge in eBook or Paperback!
      "There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one
      knows what they are." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    • Michael S. Hart
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        Just for the record, I have been to places where it was literally impossible
        for me to buy legitimate copies. . .of ANYTHING!!!

        However, I can't say as I blamed them, other than the fact that I WOULD
        have paid the price to make it worthwhile for them to get originals. . .
        they just didn't have access. . . .

        I also let them actually steal money from my pockets. . .literally.

        I just didn't feel right

        Michael