Re: [eBook-List] Clean(er) HTML

  • Stephane Bortzmeyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      On Tuesday 26 December 2000, at 12 h 46, the keyboard of "Serendipity Books"
      <e_books@...> wrote:

      > All HTML editors I have tried have had the problem you noted. There are two
      > ways around this:

      No, three. And may be more :-)

      > 1)Code everything by hand with an ASCII editor ...
      > 2)Code using an HTML editor, then use the ASCII editor's global find and
      > replace to get rid of the HTML editor's junk code. ...

      3) Use an editor which *helps* you to produce proper HTML for the beginning (instead of generating crappy HTML behind your back).

      HTML-Kit, for MS-Windows, already mentioned in that thread, is a good tool to do so. So is Emacs, for Unix.

    • Earl Hipp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        Great suggestions Steph, but how does someone just beginning to write in
        HTML know what is "junk" and what's necessary code? And, should I leave CSS
        (Cascading Style Sheets) in the final product? Are you aware of a guide of
        some sort on this topic? Thanks and what a great list...

        Earl Hipp - Human Resource Development, Inc.
        PH: 1-952-928-4936 FX: 1-952-928-4929
        Email: Ehipp@...
        Visit our website at: http://www.thehumanvolcano.com

        > On Tuesday 26 December 2000, at 12 h 46, the keyboard of "Serendipity
        Books"
        > <e_books@...> wrote:
        >
        > > All HTML editors I have tried have had the problem you noted. There are
        two
        > > ways around this:
        >
        > No, three. And may be more :-)
        >
        > > 1)Code everything by hand with an ASCII editor ...
        > > 2)Code using an HTML editor, then use the ASCII editor's global find and
        > > replace to get rid of the HTML editor's junk code. ...
        >
        > 3) Use an editor which *helps* you to produce proper HTML for the
        beginning (instead of generating crappy HTML behind your back).

        > HTML-Kit, for MS-Windows, already mentioned in that thread, is a good tool
        to do so. So is Emacs, for Unix.

      • Dorothea Salo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
          > Great suggestions Steph, but how does someone just beginning to write in
          > HTML know what is "junk" and what's necessary code? And, should I leave
          CSS
          > (Cascading Style Sheets) in the final product? Are you aware of a guide
          of
          > some sort on this topic? Thanks and what a great list...

          Common sense and simplicity are your best guides. For Heaven's sake
          don't go looking at typical web pages!

          You could do worse than going to the openebook.org website and checking
          out the Basic OEB tagset in the Publication Structure. Especially take a
          look at Appendix A; any tag with a "-" or "D" in the OEB column is a tag you
          probably shouldn't use. (You won't even miss most of them, believe me.)

          Stay away from tagging purely for looks. Don't use <font> tags, and try
          to stay away from <big> and <small>. Don't make a whole heading italic using
          <i> tags inside <h2>. Don't use <br> to break paragraphs without extra
          space. Instead, learn a little about CSS (the OEB Publication Structure has
          a long section on CSS that is a fairly good guide for a beginner), and use
          that to control these things. CSS is actually considerable fun. Hate extra
          space between paragraphs (don't we all)? Here's the magic formula:

          p { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0 }

          I'm sure there isn't a single subscriber on this list who can't
          understand what the above line accomplishes, even if they've never coded a
          line of CSS in their life. Elementary CSS is just not that hard.

          Other than that, *do what makes sense*. It's a paragraph? Tag it as one.
          Is there something special about it? Assign it a class attribute (say, <p
          class="noindent"> for a paragraph that shouldn't indent) and use CSS to make
          it look right:

          p { text-indent: 1em }
          p.noindent { text-indent: 0 }

          "Doing it right" actually tends to be easier and more intuitive than
          doing it wrong, all in all. ("Doing it wrong" usually involves memorizing a
          lot of browser-specific, gobbledygooky tag combinations.)

          Don't forget your end-tags, and have fun!

          Dorothea
          --
          Dorothea Salo
          Impressions Book and Journal Services, Inc.