BOOKS: ELECTRONIC: MARKETING RETAIL SALES ELECTRONIC COMMERCE : SELLING SALES AND PURCHASING: Word for Word: Is the End Nigh for the E-Book?

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 4:31 AM
      .

      BOOKS: ELECTRONIC: MARKETING RETAIL SALES ELECTRONIC COMMERCE :

      SELLING SALES AND PURCHASING:

      Word for Word: Is the End Nigh for the E-Book?

      .

      .

      Word for Word: Is the End Nigh for the E-Book?

      Despite the best efforts of the digerati, book buyers still love the
      original Gutenbergian model

      Bert Wright

      Saturday, July 5, 2014, 01:00

      Irish Times

      http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/
      word-for-word-is-the-end-nigh-for-the-e-book-1.1853949

      .

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      .

      http://tinyurl.com/k636oym

      .

      .

      Typically, new technologies describe an emotional arc from excitement,
      through to euphoria, and often on to anxiety and decline. As of now,
      ebooks have just left euphoria and are caught halfway between anxiety and
      decline and if nothing changes they may soon go the way of Betamax, Bebo
      and the Sinclair C5. Already, we hear the grinding of gears, the anguished
      cries as the drivers panic about the transmission of a killer app in
      identity crisis.

      .

      Proponents plead that we must get beyond replication and stop pouring the
      same old content into digital containers. Like Guinness, ebooks must, in
      future, be made of more. What then is the more they have in mind? Inert
      text perched on a plastic wafer was always a waste of digitals
      capabilities, so the temptation will be to reproduce the linking and
      clicking that governs our web-reading habits.

      .

      snip

      .

      And, because anyone can publish now, perhaps
      the clearest beneficiaries are wannabe writers rather than readers.
      Readers are being asked to swallow the line that replica ebooks were a
      false start but hey, wait till you see the spiffy second wave. The ebook
      is a format in search of a function, and so far nobody has quite got the
      hang of what that is.

      .

      .

      .