ant-piracy news

  • josephHarris
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
      The size of the fine suggests torrents are very profitable businesses indeed; so much for any principled arguments about "information wants to be free". Clearly - if it even means anything - it is not genuine on torrents or pirate sites. An example of Google's deep pocket doing us some good.
      ITsoHuntgiantha

      Isohunt shuts down
      http://stopebooktheft.com/isohunt-shuts-down/
      "agreed to pay a $110 million fine (It could have been up to $600 million otherwise) and to shut down IsoHunt."
    • Brenna Lyons
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013

        >> The size of the fine suggests torrents are very profitable businesses
        indeed; so much for any principled arguments about "information wants to
        be free".

        Yes, it is very profitable, but the whole "Information wants to be free." is a misquote, in the first place. It's based on the Freedom of Information Act, but THAT applies to public records, not to fiction and non-fiction works. Many a time, I've wanted to shove that down the throat of a pompous pirate, but face it...most of them just say what is convenient anyway.

        Brenna

        --

        http://brennalyons.com

        "You must be a great sorceress to have killed a dark giant and stolen his blade."

        "The blade was my mate's. He is...was the strongest of the Warriors."

        BLUTJAGDFRAU LOST (Night Warriors Histories), available from PHAZE

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013
          On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Brenna Lyons wrote:

          > Yes, it is very profitable, but the whole "Information wants to
          > be free." is a misquote, in the first place.

          It's a misquote in more than one way, because the original quote
          (Steward Brand, 1984) covers much more useful ground:

          On the one hand information wants to be expensive, because
          it's so valuable. The right information in the right place
          just changes your life. On the other hand, information wants
          to be free, because the cost of getting it out is getting
          lower and lower all the time. So you have these two fighting
          against each other.

          : chris smith ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          : nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - cicero :
        • Robotech_Master
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013
            Really, the entire quote could be taken as predictive of the whole situation in a way different from how the people who usually misquote it mean. On the one hand, information "wants" to be free, because all you have to do is download it and boom, you got it. On the other hand it "wants" to be expensive, because the people who make it want it to be expensive--and because it *is* valuable to the people who download it, because it has so much meaning to them. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother downloading it.
          • Brenna Lyons
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013

              And still it doesn't APPLY to fiction works. That isn't "information". It's "entertainment".

              Brenna

              --

              http://brennalyons.com

              Jaden pounded on Reeve's door, unsure which to hope for. If Rachel had the bruises, her life was in danger, and she had no memory of it to help them find the Tracker. If she didn't, his mate was unprotected in the world. DREAM WALK, available from PHAZE!

            • josephHarris
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013
                On 23/10/2013 00:16, Chris wrote:

                On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Brenna Lyons wrote:

                > Yes, it is very profitable, but the whole "Information wants to
                > be free." is a misquote, in the first place.

                It's a misquote in more than one way, because the original quote
                (Steward Brand, 1984) covers much more useful ground:

                On the one hand information wants to be expensive, because
                it's so valuable. The right information in the right place
                just changes your life. On the other hand, information wants
                to be free, because the cost of getting it out is getting
                lower and lower all the time. So you have these two fighting
                against each other.

                : chris smith

                Chris,

                You and Robotech are, of course, both right in what you say about the actual original, which I remember as "Information wants to be free, information wants to be paid for".  This is, however, personification of a concept; this might be philosophic fun, but it ignores all the realities surrounding both the attitudes revealled and the nature of "information".

                Information, by almost any definition you want to give it, is not just there. It takes work to make it, calculate it, make it understandable; the efforts involved in its origination can be prodigious; the further work to make it available can be too. And now we come to a question of the meaning of "free" in the context of the saying. It can mean without cost—but to those who understand what information is from a production end—it suggests releasing it from obscurity by hard work, often statistical, or research, or calculation, or investigation/interpretation. And often taking a great deal of time, effort and co-operation.

                Because it also gets confused with naive concepts of a "free" internet, it has been turned to the idea that all intellectual work is worth nothing. I've written many answers to that idea in the past on this list, and those answers were written very vigorously. Let me just say that it is even worse than the vile reality of the Zero Hours Contract of employment [or non-employment].

                Joseph Harris