Picture book ebook help!

  • thegreedyfish
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am currently creating my first childrens picture book, expecting to be ready in August. As its so difficult to get a traditional publishing deal I am planning on self publishing as an ebook on Amazon etc. The book has 20 pages, all of which CAN be image only ie embedding the text in the image, or could have text separate but from what I have seen in Kindle picture book samples the formatting can be shocking if not fixed format!! I understand that if submitting to Smashwords some of the book must be text?

      Would really appreciate any help or advice from anyone who has been here before! Couple questions that would really help me:

      Whats the best dimensions to produce each jpeg image/page so that it fits the screen as comfortable as possible on all devices (Kindle Fire being the primary device I am guessing).
      Is there ANY chance of getting a publisher to look at a couple of pages of a pdf?! As it's a picture book it would literally only need a couple of clicks in as many seconds! And I am sure that just a couple of pages would be enough to interest if not convince a publisher I am on to something!
      Does anyone know of where I can pay to get someone to professionally prepare the 20 images as multi format ebooks ie mobi, k8, epub so that I can submit them to all sales avenues?

      Super appreciated, and more than happy to send a few sample images for it to make more sense if anyone can help!!

      Thank you in advance

      Dennis
    • Kathy.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
        Does anyone know of where I can pay to get someone to professionally prepare the
        20 images as multi format ebooks ie mobi, k8, epub so that I can submit them to
        all sales avenues?

        Dennis

        Hi Dennis,
        Try jim@.... He does e-conversions.

        Kathy.
        OCR still available

      • Bonnie Britt
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
          From: thegreedyfish <denthomp2008@...>

          Whats the best dimensions to produce each jpeg image/page so that it fits
          the screen as comfortable as possible on all devices (Kindle Fire being the
          primary device I am guessing).

          ______________

          In Photoshop under image size, use percentages rather than fixed pixels.
          Percentages permit the images to adapt to the size of each different
          device, whether a desktop, a Kindle or phone.

          --

          Bonnie

          *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

          Bonnie Britt
          Editing, Design, Print, & eBook Production
          510 540 5845
          *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

        • thegreedyfish
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thank you Bonnie - only thing is I would need to know what percentages to use?!
            Have you worked with picture ebooks yourself? Any advice appreciated as I want the 20 page book to look as professional as possible across as many devices as possible.
            Many thanks
            Dennis

            --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Britt <editing.and.design@...> wrote:

            > From: thegreedyfish <denthomp2008@...>
            >
            > Whats the best dimensions to produce each jpeg image/page so that it fits
            > the screen as comfortable as possible on all devices (Kindle Fire being the
            > primary device I am guessing).
            >
            > ______________
            >

            > In Photoshop under image size, use percentages rather than fixed pixels.
            > Percentages permit the images to adapt to the size of each different
            > device, whether a desktop, a Kindle or phone.
            >

            > --
            >
            > Bonnie
            >
            > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
            >
            > Bonnie Britt
            > Editing, Design, Print, & eBook Production
            > 510 540 5845
            > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

          • Kathy.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
              Dennis,

              If you are not going to have a professional do your picture book, then go to bookbaby.com Picture books of any genera are the hardest to do. Getting the text and the pictures together in the right spots are a pain. Getting it to look right with one format of ebook is fine for it, but totally different for another format. And you have to have each reader to be able to see what the outcome really looks like. If you are going with imbedded text then you really have to decide on what direction the book will be read. Now there are about three sizes of readers out there. Will what you put out for the smaller Kindle, will it look good on the iPad? Or will it be really condensed with a lot of black space around it?

              Just passing thoughts.

              Kathy.
              OCR still available

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
                Bonnie, do you mean that Dennis should use percentages in the software
                program in which the ebook is created?

                Photoshop is a bitmap image editing program. Photoshop images have a
                fixed size.

                Dennis, when you add the image to the HTML of the e-book file, you can
                set the image height and width or leave them undefined. Here (or in your
                CSS, using a class) is where you might want to use percentages.

                Like Bonnie said, percentages are the best way to use the same image for
                multiple devices—especially if you're designing a fixed-layout e-book.

                Screen sizes for some common devices:

                iPad 3 1536×2048

                Nook HD+ 1280×1920
                Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 1200×1920

                Nook HD 900×1440

                Kindle Fire HD 800×1280
                Kobo Arc 800×1280
                Galaxy Note 10.1 800×1280

                iPad 2, iPad Mini 768×1024
                Kindle Paperwhite 768×1024
                Kobo Glo 768×1024

                Kindle Fire 600×1024
                Nook Tablet, Color 600×1024

                > Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
                > "Bonnie Britt" express.editing
                >
                > >From: thegreedyfish <denthomp2008@...>
                > >
                > >Whats the best dimensions to produce each jpeg image/page so that it
                fits
                > >the screen as comfortable as possible on all devices (Kindle Fire
                being the
                > >primary device I am guessing).
                >

                > In Photoshop under image size, use percentages rather than fixed pixels.
                > Percentages permit the images to adapt to the size of each different
                > device, whether a desktop, a Kindle or phone.

                --
                Sandra K. Williams

                Williams Writing, Editing & Design |skw@...
                http://www.williamswriting.com |http://idlespiderbooks.com
                copyediting, book design & typesetting, e-book design & production
              • Bonnie Britt
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26, 2013
                  A detailed discussion of adding graphics to ebooks is at this link.
                  While the discussion is by the author of the Jutoh program, the
                  principles are perhaps universal.

                  http://www.jutoh.com/book_html.htm
                  Chapter 11: Working With Pictures

                  I can't be of more help as I am traveling.

                  --

                  Bonnie