Re: [ebook-community] New DRM question

  • Lee Passey
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
      On 2/22/2013 10:50 AM, soulpower834 wrote:

      > I have an ebook for sale on Amazon, and I have DRM enabled. Would I
      > sell more copies if I turned off DRM, and if so, how much of a
      > difference is this likely to make?

      Probably none. The Amazon Kindle ecosystem is pretty much accepting of
      TPM, so presence or not of TPM is rarely part of the purchasing decision.

      I'm not aware of anyone who has access to the data needed to make a
      prediction on the sales impact actually having made any evaluation.
      Either they don't know or they aren't saying.

      > If I turn off DRM, do I need to be concerned about piracy?

      No, at least not for your Kindle version. First of all, TPM is such weak
      protection that any "pirate" (e.g. someone who will take it and share it
      with the world at large) will have no problem doing so if s/he wishes.
      The only thing TPM prevents is casual sharing; someone who has purchased
      the book and then e-mails it to a BFF with a message along the lines of
      "loved this book, I think you'll like it too."

      Amazon has a program where books can be shared with a limited number of
      people, and Kindle books are somewhat difficult to extract from the
      Kindle; these two things make Kindle books already somewhat immune from
      the kind of casual sharing that TPM attempts to prevent. Additionally,
      the Kindle format is not as good or complete as the ePub format, so any
      serious pirate is going to crack open the ePub version, not the Kindle
      version.

      If all you're selling is a version for Kindle I would guess that the
      presence or absence of TPM will make no difference whatsoever. Do
      whatever costs you the least money.