Re: [ebook-community] Apple iTunes vs. Apple iBookstore

  • Victor Brodt
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26 4:46 PM
      Why not just use smashwords? No headaches.
      Acx audio goes to itunes, that also links to kindle and amazon. -Worked
      fine for me.
      Victor Brodt

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM, BD Lyons <brennalyons4168@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > horrific Apple's system is by the following descriptions.
      > They don't have a simple click to sell worldwide. You have to choose each
      > individual country from the list, one by one.
      > They don't do what Amazon and B&N do and allow you to enter one sale price
      > (usually US) and then have them base all other countries on that price,
      > doing the currency conversions for you. Nope. You have to do your own
      > currency conversions, enter each individual price to be associated with
      > each individual country (keeping in mind that Apple requires set points
      > that are above or below the actual currency conversion, so if you come in
      > at 2.79, you may have to change it to 2.99...and with the non-Euro European
      > countries, it's sometimes oddities like setting the price at 12.00 or
      > 16.00).
      > And, unlike Amazon, they don't automatically add countries to your
      > distribution, since you've clicked worldwide distribution. That is probably
      > a no-brainer, since they don't do currency conversion for you, but even
      > when they added more countries from the European Union, they didn't simply
      > make them available at the price you'd already set for France and Germany
      > (the first two Euro countries they had aboard). Nope. They want you to go
      > back into every book singly and add all new countries and conversions to
      > them, pulling you away from your daily work to do catch up their own system
      > COULD do for you. That's not a big deal if you have a dozen books, but try
      > doing it with 600 or more books and tell me how completely UNFRIENDLY to
      > the content providers this entire system is.
      > Not to mention the glitches in the software itself... Don't get me
      > started. If I have embedded a font in the file. I really don't care for a
      > book to be bounced, just because they don't "like" the font. I have license
      > to use it and have embedded it. Why should I have to reformat a book for
      > them and make the interior presentation not match the cover, just because
      > Apple doesn't want to accept it? Everyone else accepts the same exact ePub
      > file.
      >
      > I think you have a mistaken idea about one thing though. I don't own an
      > iPad, but people who do tell me they find my books on iBookstore, though
      > they are loaded via iTunes Producer. I don't think this is an either/or
      > situation as you're envisioning.
      > Brenna
      >

      > From what I can tell one can set up an account through Apple's iTunes store
      >
      > and upload epub files. But to include your title in Apple's iBookstore you
      >
      > have to provide a proprietary formatted file.
      >
      > All of our titles are published as epub files. Due to time constraints
      >
      > I've chosen to only deal with that format for now. So my question is this:
      >
      > Are people buying e-books through iTunes?
      >
      > Has anyone ever distributed their titles through both iTunes and
      >
      > iBookstore? Is anyone selling through iTunes and find it worth their while?

      Wishing what every good creature already sees in you, the very Best!
      Victor Brodt
      *This book made #1 in three categories on Amazon!******
      <https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27003>

      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=victor%20Brodt

      http://www.youtube.com/user/brodtstuff#p/u/0/IcGnii_vB3U

      30secYouTube

      VictorBrodt.com <http://victorbrodt.com/>

      https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27003

    • Brenna Lyons
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27 8:35 AM
        Because, Victor, the boss who sets the distribution channels wants to go
        direct to iTunes. Simply put, I don't control that choice for the business,
        and even if I did... Did I mention? Eww...the meat grinder at Smashwords is
        crap, and the files it creates are FAR inferior to what I create personally.
        To each his own, of course, so...for the moment, I'm stuck with iTP for
        entry into iBookstore. If I was going to go via anyone else, it wouldn't be
        Smashwords. I'd be loading via AllRomanceeBooks/OmniLit, though their new
        cover size requirements for Apple stink just a bit, since they aren't one of
        the standard sizes I already deal with. BTW, we're not talking about audio
        books. We're talking about ebooks, which are a different critter entirely.

        Brenna

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
          Le 27/02/2013 17:35, Brenna Lyons a écrit :

          > Did I mention? Eww...the meat grinder at Smashwords is
          > crap,

          I'd rather say "difficult to use". Usable, still.

          > and the files it creates are FAR inferior to what I create personally.

          Smashwords now allows uploading a well formatted epub file (the rest of
          the formats still use the meatgrinder).

          From my experience, they do quite a good job distributing the ebooks,
          including with Apple.

          --
          Éditions de l'Âge d'Or — Stanley G. Weinbaum
          http://www.lulu.com/robert_soubie

        • Eggplant Literary Productions - Raechel H
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
            Thanks for the responses, all.

            I did look into Smashwords once they announced they would accept ePub files
            from publishers. Unfortunately, in order to get into their extended
            distribution channels the ePub files have to include "Smashwords Edition"
            in the copyright page. For various reasons this isn't acceptable to me.

            So, back to the drawing board. It looks like going directly through iTunes
            with our ePubs is going to be the only/best option.

            --
            Raechel Henderson
            Publisher / Editor

          • Brenna Lyons
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
              THAT is useable. If they at least start with my ePub, they probably aren't doing badly with it.

              But you still lose Smashwords' portion when they distribute for you. Shrug.

              Brenna

              > and the files it creates are FAR inferior to what I create personally.

              Smashwords now allows uploading a well formatted epub file (the rest of
              the formats still use the meatgrinder).

              From my experience, they do quite a good job distributing the ebooks,
              including with Apple.