ebook production software

  • Idil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2 7:16 AM
      Which software do you prefer for ebook production and why?
    • Lee Passey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2 11:14 AM
        On 1/2/2013 8:16 AM, Idil wrote:

        > Which software do you prefer for ebook production and why?

        ePubEditor (https://sourceforge.net/projects/epubeditor/).

        I like it because:

        1. ePub is the linqua franca of e-books, and I feel no need to cater to
        any other format.

        2. It wraps all the tools I use to edit the component parts of an ePub:
        Microsoft's Visual Web Developer (free edition) for HTML, TextPad for
        CSS, IrfranView for images. Plus, it allows me to change the tools to
        anything else I want, whenever I want.

        3. It allows me to alter HTML elements and their attributes without
        affecting the child elements of those elements. It also allows me to
        delete an element without deleting the child elements.

        4. It allows me to run XSLT transformations on HTML files based on the
        publisher attribute, which I use to clean up the truly clueless and
        abominable markup used by most major publishers.

        5. I wrote it, so if it doesn't do something I want it to I just
        re-write it so it does.

        6. It can interface to the IDPF's epubchecker, although IDPF keeps
        changing the epubchecker interface, so that functionality is currently
        broken. Maybe someday I'll fix it when it becomes important enough to
        rise above other requested features and bug fixes.