Re: [ebook-community] B&N - shoots self in foot while dying

  • josephHarris
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
      On 09/12/2012 17:42, Chris wrote:

      > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
      > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
      > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
      > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
      > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
      > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
      >
      > I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
      > Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
      > afternoons are less hectic than week nights.
      >
      > Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
      > make purchases.
      >
      > But not for everything.
      >
      > My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
      > now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.
      >
      > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
      > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
      > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
      > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
      > second after I click 'buy'.
      >
      > ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.
      >
      > ... Chris

      Funnily enough Chris I was pointing out somewhere else today just how
      Orwellian the instant new history is already on the web. I was thinking
      then of news stories online that simply get altered as a story changes.
      But your experience adds another dimension. In past phsyical sales,
      where pre-booking was permitted - often for a small deposit, such offers
      would be honoured.

      Not a case of "tout ca change..." :-)

      Joseph Harris

    • Brenna Lyons
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
        From my POV, we already have the worthy successor to
        FW...AllRomanceeBook/OmniLit. Grin... They've been around for a while, and
        from my chair, they are even better than FW.

        Brenna