Re: [ebook-community] B&N - shoots self in foot while dying

  • Beth Young
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
      Ironically, I'd already sideloaded the fw books onto my nook too! :) I have
      been looking forward to getting the online nook shelf to sync with ipod
      touch/ipad/computer. Don't always have my nook with me. I'll archive a few
      titles at a time and eventually all will be well.

      I'm looking forward to learning about worthy successors to Fictionwise. I'd
      grown to trust fw and it is sad to let go.

      Beth

      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Brenna Lyons <brennalyons4168@...>wrote:

      > Can't argue most of this. I realize doing all the searching again is a pain
      > in the backside. There's no helping that, unless you know what was in the
      > cart.
      >

      > B&N has been disappointing with their promises, ever since they purchased
      > Fictionwise. It's sad, but that was their corporate choice.
      >

      > I know what you mean about sideloading, but I had already sideloaded my
      > books from Fictionwise onto my Nook, before they announced FW was closing.
      > It's possible, and working with them ON the Nook itself isn't difficult, in
      > my experience.
      >

      > Brenna
      >

      > Everything you say makes sense. I think the issue isn't books being
      > inaccessible but BN promising something and then disappointing with the
      > follow-through.
      >
      > For example, the nook shelf has advantages over sideloading if you're
      > reading w/multiple devices, but managing the titles is harder than it ought
      > to be.

      > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
      > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
      > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
      > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *
      >
      > (* == yahoogroups.com)
    • josephHarris
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
        On 09/12/2012 17:42, Chris wrote:

        > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
        > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
        > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
        > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
        > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
        > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
        >
        > I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
        > Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
        > afternoons are less hectic than week nights.
        >
        > Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
        > make purchases.
        >
        > But not for everything.
        >
        > My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
        > now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.
        >
        > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
        > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
        > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
        > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
        > second after I click 'buy'.
        >
        > ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.
        >
        > ... Chris

        Funnily enough Chris I was pointing out somewhere else today just how
        Orwellian the instant new history is already on the web. I was thinking
        then of news stories online that simply get altered as a story changes.
        But your experience adds another dimension. In past phsyical sales,
        where pre-booking was permitted - often for a small deposit, such offers
        would be honoured.

        Not a case of "tout ca change..." :-)

        Joseph Harris

      • Brenna Lyons
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
          From my POV, we already have the worthy successor to
          FW...AllRomanceeBook/OmniLit. Grin... They've been around for a while, and
          from my chair, they are even better than FW.

          Brenna