RE: [ebook-community] B&N - shoots self in foot while dying

  • Brenna Lyons
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
      Three things.

      First is that anyone purchasing unsecured items doesn't have a merge
      problem. You simply download them and then sideload onto whatever you want
      to use. Don't have a Nook? Fine. Plan on whatever format you will be using
      and go from there. Or better yet...download a couple of formats. No reason
      not to.

      Second is that Fictionwise ANNOUNCED to many of the publishers that their
      books would no longer be available for sale after the 4th. By doing so, they
      set up an agreement with publishers. If they continued to sell the books
      after the 4th, they could very well put themselves in an actionable
      position. It's all well and good that you were counting on that extension,
      but Fictionwise had already promised an ending date to publishers, who had
      every contractual right to expect Fictionwise to live to it. And since
      Fictionwise hasn't been paying regularly, and several publishers had to go
      to B&N legal dept to FORCE payment for Fictionwise sales, that was the last
      thing B&N would want to mess with, when the end is in sight.

      Finally... Just because those books aren't available at Fictionwise doesn't
      mean they aren't available anywhere. Buy from sites other than Fictionwise.
      Go check ARe/OmniLit, Bookstrand, Books on Board, Kobo... Seriously, decide
      which format you want and then ask who carries it. It's likely you'll have a
      lot of choices.

      So you don't have Nook available? You probably do have Nook reader for PC or
      Mac and can make an account and read those on your laptop, desktop, and on
      the Nook reader on any Android enabled machinery. Or you can switch to
      reading on Kindle and make your books Mobi with Calibre (if they aren't
      secured formats)...or any other number of formats available.

      Personally, I feel B&N and Fictionwise (under control of B&N) shot
      themselves in the foot three years ago. It's been a long, slow death.

      Brenna

      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Chris <smith@...
      <mailto:smith%40vex.net> > wrote:

      > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
      > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
      > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
      > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
      > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
      > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
      > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
      > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
      > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
      > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
      > second after I click 'buy'.

      ___

    • Beth Young
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
        Everything you say makes sense. I think the issue isn't books being
        inaccessible but BN promising something and then disappointing with the
        follow-through.

        For example, the nook shelf has advantages over sideloading if you're
        reading w/multiple devices, but managing the titles is harder than it ought
        to be.

        If I were Chris, I'd be upset about wasting time choosing books based on a
        deadline that BN announced but didn't/couldn't stick to. Sure, books are
        available many places, but you have to search all over again.

        Agree about the long slow death.

        Beth

        On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Brenna Lyons <brennalyons4168@...>wrote:

> [...]
        > > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
        > > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
        > > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
        > > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
        > > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
        > > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
        > > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
        > > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
        > > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
        > > second after I click 'buy'.
        > >

        > ___

        > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
        > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
        > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
        > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *

      • Brenna Lyons
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
          Can't argue most of this. I realize doing all the searching again is a pain
          in the backside. There's no helping that, unless you know what was in the
          cart.

          B&N has been disappointing with their promises, ever since they purchased
          Fictionwise. It's sad, but that was their corporate choice.

          I know what you mean about sideloading, but I had already sideloaded my
          books from Fictionwise onto my Nook, before they announced FW was closing.
          It's possible, and working with them ON the Nook itself isn't difficult, in
          my experience.

          Brenna

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
            Ironically, I'd already sideloaded the fw books onto my nook too! :) I have
            been looking forward to getting the online nook shelf to sync with ipod
            touch/ipad/computer. Don't always have my nook with me. I'll archive a few
            titles at a time and eventually all will be well.

            I'm looking forward to learning about worthy successors to Fictionwise. I'd
            grown to trust fw and it is sad to let go.

            Beth

            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Brenna Lyons <brennalyons4168@...>wrote:

            > Can't argue most of this. I realize doing all the searching again is a pain
            > in the backside. There's no helping that, unless you know what was in the
            > cart.
            >

            > B&N has been disappointing with their promises, ever since they purchased
            > Fictionwise. It's sad, but that was their corporate choice.
            >

            > I know what you mean about sideloading, but I had already sideloaded my
            > books from Fictionwise onto my Nook, before they announced FW was closing.
            > It's possible, and working with them ON the Nook itself isn't difficult, in
            > my experience.
            >

            > Brenna
            >

            > Everything you say makes sense. I think the issue isn't books being
            > inaccessible but BN promising something and then disappointing with the
            > follow-through.
            >
            > For example, the nook shelf has advantages over sideloading if you're
            > reading w/multiple devices, but managing the titles is harder than it ought
            > to be.

            > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
            > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
            > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
            > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *
            >
            > (* == yahoogroups.com)
          • josephHarris
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
              On 09/12/2012 17:42, Chris wrote:

              > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
              > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
              > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
              > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
              > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
              > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
              >
              > I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
              > Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
              > afternoons are less hectic than week nights.
              >
              > Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
              > make purchases.
              >
              > But not for everything.
              >
              > My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
              > now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.
              >
              > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
              > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
              > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
              > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
              > second after I click 'buy'.
              >
              > ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.
              >
              > ... Chris

              Funnily enough Chris I was pointing out somewhere else today just how
              Orwellian the instant new history is already on the web. I was thinking
              then of news stories online that simply get altered as a story changes.
              But your experience adds another dimension. In past phsyical sales,
              where pre-booking was permitted - often for a small deposit, such offers
              would be honoured.

              Not a case of "tout ca change..." :-)

              Joseph Harris

            • Brenna Lyons
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
                From my POV, we already have the worthy successor to
                FW...AllRomanceeBook/OmniLit. Grin... They've been around for a while, and
                from my chair, they are even better than FW.

                Brenna