ebook formatters and distributors

  • fire471
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi! Can anyone recommend a company to both format & distribute ebooks? I'm familiar with Smashwords and Booktango already, so I'm looking for other companies (I've used Booktango in the past but they've been having software issues for quite some time). I'd consider using a paid service too - it's mostly for B&N, Apple and Sony, since I can't do those myself (I'm in Canada, and only have a PC).

      Thanks!!
    • Richard Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
        I have had good success on the formatting side with eBook Architects (http://ebookarchitects.com). They have a relationship with a distribution company (Pigeonlab, http://www.pigeonlab.net/), so you might be able to get both services at least loosely tied together.

        I have no direct experience with Pigeonlab, but I can highly recommend eBook Architects.

        Best Regards,
        Richard Hamilton
        -------
        XML Press
        XML for Technical Communicators
        http://xmlpress.net
        hamilton@...

        On Dec 5, 2012, at 7:23 AM, fire471 wrote:

        > Hi! Can anyone recommend a company to both format & distribute ebooks? I'm familiar with Smashwords and Booktango already, so I'm looking for other companies (I've used Booktango in the past but they've been having software issues for quite some time). I'd consider using a paid service too - it's mostly for B&N, Apple and Sony, since I can't do those myself (I'm in Canada, and only have a PC).
        >
        > Thanks!!

      • merwie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
          Thank you, Richard!  I'll check them out away.

          Kind regards,
          M. Garzon

          Author, Blaze of Glory & Look Twice

          www.mgarzon.caSoon to be a major new TV series
          Recommended by USA TODAY

        • planbeenc
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
            BestThinking.com

            Independent company with their own store putting out great niche ebooks. Also services Amazon, Kobo, and Nook, and sometimes Itunes. They handle the formatting, etc, as well. They are currently working on a self-publishing solution for authors too, should be interesting.

            --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "fire471" <merwiemba@...> wrote:

            > Hi! Can anyone recommend a company to both format & distribute ebooks? I'm familiar with Smashwords and Booktango already, so I'm looking for other companies (I've used Booktango in the past but they've been having software issues for quite some time). I'd consider using a paid service too - it's mostly for B&N, Apple and Sony, since I can't do those myself (I'm in Canada, and only have a PC).
            >
            > Thanks!!

          • S S
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
              I don't make it a habit to put commercial messages into these kinds of forums but just this once: I'd like to throw my company's hat in this ring: http://www.bookbaby.com

               By way of introduction we're the sister company of CD Baby, the world's largest indie music website. Over the last 12 years we've paid out almost $250 million back to musicians helping them sell music on iTunes, Spotify, all the other music services plus physical discs. Now we're using the same people, technology, vendor relationships and digital distribution expertise to work for authors. Check us out!

              PS -- we're happy to work with folks from Canada and just about anywhere else.

              ________________________________
              Independent company with their own store putting out great niche ebooks. Also services Amazon, Kobo, and Nook, and sometimes Itunes. They handle the formatting, etc, as well. They are currently working on a self-publishing solution for authors too, should be interesting.

              --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "fire471" <merwiemba@...> wrote:

              > Hi! Can anyone recommend a company to both format & distribute ebooks? I'm familiar with Smashwords and Booktango already, so I'm looking for other companies (I've used Booktango in the past but they've been having software issues for quite some time). I'd consider using a paid service too - it's mostly for B&N, Apple and Sony, since I can't do those myself (I'm in Canada, and only have a PC).
              >
              > Thanks!!

            • auwg
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
                --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, S S <spitfirepa1111@...> wrote:
                > I don't make it a habit to put commercial messages into these kinds of forums but just this once: I'd like to throw my company's hat in this ring: http://www.bookbaby.com

                And I don't make a habit of letting commercial messages in, but if someone is willing to prep an ebook until its 'publisher-ready', then cough up a minimum $99 fee plus $19 per month for site services, it isn't my job to stop them.
                Your marketing abilities would have to be truly exceptional to justify those costs. Are they?
                Ed
              • S S
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Thanks, Ed. I believe a number of things justify our fees: (However they are NOT $19 per month; it's $19 per year. And -- news flash! -- they've been waived for 2012!)

                  1. Distribution network -- we distribute BookBaby authors to nine different eBook retail sites with one account: Amazon, B&N, Apple and more. By the end of 2013, that number will be between 15 and 20 stores. Each time we expand our network we don't charge authors anything more. Having the single account makes it very easy and convenient for our authors.
                  2. Customer Service --  we have real live people in Portland, Oregon manning toll-free phone lines and email accounts -- ready, willing and able to take authors' calls and questions. We get over 1000+ emails and phone calls each day.
                  3. Zero percent commission -- When Amazon, Apple, et. al. make payments to BookBaby, we turn around that same week and pay out our authors every dime of net sales. We take 0% out the back end.

                  As I've told people on forums like this: BookBaby isn't for everyone. We applaud all the DIY folks who paved the way for eBooks. But there's a place for companies such as BookBaby We make it easy for authors -- amateur and professional -- to focus on their writing, leaving us to do the technical and distribution heavy lifting.

                  I  hope this clarifies a few things.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 7, 2012
                    --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, S S <spitfirepa1111@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks, Ed. I believe a number of things justify our fees: (However they are NOT $19 per month; it's $19 per year. And -- news flash! -- they've been waived for 2012!)

                    Oops. Sorry 'bout that.
                    Don't know why it seemed to be a monthly fee.

                    Also - on second thought here - having just one distributor do it all might be worth it to many people.
                    Ed
                  • merwie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 10, 2012
                      Just FYI, it seems BestThinking.com requires a 5-year exclusive contract, which doesn't work for me as I've already independently published on Kindle and Kobo.  Still investigating the others :)