Barnes & Noble closing Fictionwise

  • auwg
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
      Been expecting this since BN bought FW.
      This arrived an hour ago:
      -----
      November 15, 2012

      Dear Fictionwise Publisher/Author,

      As you may know, Barnes & Noble acquired Fictionwise, Inc. (Fictionwise) on
      March 3, 2009. Fictionwise runs several eBook websites, including
      Fictionwise.com, eReader.com and eBookwise.com. Over the past few years there
      has been a significant decrease in demand for many of the eBook formats that
      Fictionwise.com sells. In contrast, the new industry standard eBook format
      supported by Barnes & Noble--ePub--is growing in popularity.

      This letter is to notify you that Fictionwise will wind down its operations on
      December 4, 2012. The Fictionwise sites (including Fictionwise.com, eReader.com
      and eBookwise.com) will end sales on December 4, 2012 and U.S. Fictionwise
      customers will cease to have access to their Fictionwise Bookshelf through the
      site after December 21, 2012. Customers outside the U.S. will cease to have
      access to their Fictionwise Bookshelf through the site after January 31, 2013.
      Fictionwise customers will be notified of this and U.S. and U.K. customers will
      be given an opportunity to move their customer accounts, including their eBooks
      purchased at the Fictionwise websites, to a Barnes & Noble NOOK Library.

      Pursuant to section 2 of the agreement between Fictionwise and you, we hereby
      provide you with ninety (90) days notice that this agreement will terminate
      effective February 13th. Your final 4th quarter royalty statement and payment
      will be mailed February 15th.

      If you are not already selling your titles at BN.com and would like to do so,
      please visit www.pubit.com.

      We greatly appreciate your support of Fictionwise over the years. Together, we
      pioneered eBooks and eReading.

      Thank you,
      Daniel Jorissen and The Fictionwise Team
    • Dan Poynter
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
        Fascinating.

        Thank you.

        Speaking in Eloy, Arizona.

        When I am traveling, my messages tend to be short.
        Thank you for your understanding
        Dan Poynter, Author (132 Books), Publisher (Since 1969), Speaker (CSP).
        Para Publishing LLC, PO Box 8206, Santa Barbara, CA 93118-8206, USA.
        Bus: +1-805-968-7277; Mob: +1-805-448-9009 DanPoynter@...
        http://ParaPublishing.com, http://GlobalEbookAwards.com, http://ParaPromotion.com
        Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Poynter
        See me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWl0fnBu7bs

        On Nov 15, 2012, at 5:11 PM, "auwg" <auwg@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
          So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
          if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
          number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
          the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
          items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
          don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)

          I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
          Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
          afternoons are less hectic than week nights.

          Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
          make purchases.

          But not for everything.

          My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
          now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.

          In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
          decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
          cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
          ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
          second after I click 'buy'.

          ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.

          ... Chris

          : chris smith ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          : nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - cicero :
        • Beth Young
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
            Oh, man, I would be furious! My sympathies!

            I'd suggest that you call BN customer service but this doesn't sound like a
            problem they are likely to fix. It's a shame . . . .

            Beth

            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Chris <smith@...> wrote:

            > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
            > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
            > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
            > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
            > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
            > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
            >
            > I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
            > Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
            > afternoons are less hectic than week nights.
            >
            > Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
            > make purchases.
            >
            > But not for everything.
            >
            > My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
            > now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.
            >
            > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
            > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
            > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
            > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
            > second after I click 'buy'.
            >
            > ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.
            >
            > ... Chris
            >
            > : chris smith ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
            > : nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - cicero :

            > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
            > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
            > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
            > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *
            >
            > (* == yahoogroups.com)
          • Brenna Lyons
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
              Three things.

              First is that anyone purchasing unsecured items doesn't have a merge
              problem. You simply download them and then sideload onto whatever you want
              to use. Don't have a Nook? Fine. Plan on whatever format you will be using
              and go from there. Or better yet...download a couple of formats. No reason
              not to.

              Second is that Fictionwise ANNOUNCED to many of the publishers that their
              books would no longer be available for sale after the 4th. By doing so, they
              set up an agreement with publishers. If they continued to sell the books
              after the 4th, they could very well put themselves in an actionable
              position. It's all well and good that you were counting on that extension,
              but Fictionwise had already promised an ending date to publishers, who had
              every contractual right to expect Fictionwise to live to it. And since
              Fictionwise hasn't been paying regularly, and several publishers had to go
              to B&N legal dept to FORCE payment for Fictionwise sales, that was the last
              thing B&N would want to mess with, when the end is in sight.

              Finally... Just because those books aren't available at Fictionwise doesn't
              mean they aren't available anywhere. Buy from sites other than Fictionwise.
              Go check ARe/OmniLit, Bookstrand, Books on Board, Kobo... Seriously, decide
              which format you want and then ask who carries it. It's likely you'll have a
              lot of choices.

              So you don't have Nook available? You probably do have Nook reader for PC or
              Mac and can make an account and read those on your laptop, desktop, and on
              the Nook reader on any Android enabled machinery. Or you can switch to
              reading on Kindle and make your books Mobi with Calibre (if they aren't
              secured formats)...or any other number of formats available.

              Personally, I feel B&N and Fictionwise (under control of B&N) shot
              themselves in the foot three years ago. It's been a long, slow death.

              Brenna

              <mailto:smith%40vex.net> > wrote:

              > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
              > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
              > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
              > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
              > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
              > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
              > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
              > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
              > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
              > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
              > second after I click 'buy'.

              ___

            • Beth Young
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
                Everything you say makes sense. I think the issue isn't books being
                inaccessible but BN promising something and then disappointing with the
                follow-through.

                For example, the nook shelf has advantages over sideloading if you're
                reading w/multiple devices, but managing the titles is harder than it ought
                to be.

                If I were Chris, I'd be upset about wasting time choosing books based on a
                deadline that BN announced but didn't/couldn't stick to. Sure, books are
                available many places, but you have to search all over again.

                Agree about the long slow death.

                Beth

                On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Brenna Lyons <brennalyons4168@...>wrote:

> [...]
                > > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
                > > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
                > > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
                > > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
                > > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
                > > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
                > > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
                > > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
                > > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
                > > second after I click 'buy'.
                > >

                > ___

                > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
                > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
                > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
                > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *

              • Brenna Lyons
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
                  Can't argue most of this. I realize doing all the searching again is a pain
                  in the backside. There's no helping that, unless you know what was in the
                  cart.

                  B&N has been disappointing with their promises, ever since they purchased
                  Fictionwise. It's sad, but that was their corporate choice.

                  I know what you mean about sideloading, but I had already sideloaded my
                  books from Fictionwise onto my Nook, before they announced FW was closing.
                  It's possible, and working with them ON the Nook itself isn't difficult, in
                  my experience.

                  Brenna

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
                    Ironically, I'd already sideloaded the fw books onto my nook too! :) I have
                    been looking forward to getting the online nook shelf to sync with ipod
                    touch/ipad/computer. Don't always have my nook with me. I'll archive a few
                    titles at a time and eventually all will be well.

                    I'm looking forward to learning about worthy successors to Fictionwise. I'd
                    grown to trust fw and it is sad to let go.

                    Beth

                    On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Brenna Lyons <brennalyons4168@...>wrote:

                    > Can't argue most of this. I realize doing all the searching again is a pain
                    > in the backside. There's no helping that, unless you know what was in the
                    > cart.
                    >

                    > B&N has been disappointing with their promises, ever since they purchased
                    > Fictionwise. It's sad, but that was their corporate choice.
                    >

                    > I know what you mean about sideloading, but I had already sideloaded my
                    > books from Fictionwise onto my Nook, before they announced FW was closing.
                    > It's possible, and working with them ON the Nook itself isn't difficult, in
                    > my experience.
                    >

                    > Brenna
                    >

                    > Everything you say makes sense. I think the issue isn't books being
                    > inaccessible but BN promising something and then disappointing with the
                    > follow-through.
                    >
                    > For example, the nook shelf has advantages over sideloading if you're
                    > reading w/multiple devices, but managing the titles is harder than it ought
                    > to be.

                    > Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
                    > Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
                    > Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
                    > Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *
                    >
                    > (* == yahoogroups.com)
                  • josephHarris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2012
                      On 09/12/2012 17:42, Chris wrote:

                      > So, last weekend I finish going through and checking at FW to see
                      > if there were any final purchases I would like to make. I found a
                      > number of items - and I admit to proding myself a few times with
                      > the "now or never" thought. My cart had nearly $300 worth of
                      > items in it - a bit high, but "now or never", right? (Canadians
                      > don't get Nooks, and therefore don't get the merge option.)
                      >
                      > I also noted that FW had extended final purchases to midmight
                      > Eastern Standard Time, December 9th. This is nice. Sunday
                      > afternoons are less hectic than week nights.
                      >
                      > Today I came back, and I found that, yes, indeed, I can still
                      > make purchases.
                      >
                      > But not for everything.
                      >
                      > My cart now only had $50 worth of materials. The other $250 are
                      > now gone from the lists of purchaseable items.
                      >
                      > In an online world where many items go on sale for one day only,
                      > decimating your catalog half a day ahead of deadline just won't
                      > cut it. It's not like these items are running out -- they're
                      > ebooks, effectively produced on demand in the fraction of a
                      > second after I click 'buy'.
                      >
                      > ***k it. I'm outta here, spending nothing. Good work, guys.
                      >
                      > ... Chris

                      Funnily enough Chris I was pointing out somewhere else today just how
                      Orwellian the instant new history is already on the web. I was thinking
                      then of news stories online that simply get altered as a story changes.
                      But your experience adds another dimension. In past phsyical sales,
                      where pre-booking was permitted - often for a small deposit, such offers
                      would be honoured.

                      Not a case of "tout ca change..." :-)

                      Joseph Harris

                    • Brenna Lyons
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
                        From my POV, we already have the worthy successor to
                        FW...AllRomanceeBook/OmniLit. Grin... They've been around for a while, and
                        from my chair, they are even better than FW.

                        Brenna