ONIX feed?

  • Richard Seltzer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
      I'm used to dealing with such vendors as Barnes & Noble, Sony, and Kobo, by uploading epub files and image files together with spreadsheets based on their templates.

      Now, in trying to deal with Zola, I'm being asked to provide an "ONIX Feed".

      I don't understand what Zola is asking for, and the official ONIX documentation online is incomprehensible.

      All of our books are listed with Bowker (if that makes a difference).

      We have a master spreadsheet with all the important details about all of our books.

      We could do a search-and-replace to use ONIX codes instead of clear English for the metadata.

      But in what format does one normally provide the data for an "ONIX Feed"? And is it possible to convert an .xls spreadsheet to that format?

      And is the "Feed" itself simply an ftp upload? Or does it involve some other means of transferring metadata plus files?

      I suspect that we'll be seeing similar requests from other vendors in the future.

      Any help/clues would be greatly appreciated.

      Best wishes.

      Richard

      Richard Seltzer, B&R Samizdat Express, seltzer@..., 617-469-2269
      Ebooks by download -- Quench Editions http://www.samizdat.com/quencheditions/