ebook for ms word document

  • jeaflor
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2012
      I have an MS Word document for some chemistry notes. Is there any kind of ebook reader, mp3 or mp4 player that will let me read this file as an MS Word document? It contains tables, subscripts and exponents so I cannot read it in txt or rtf format. Does anyone have any ideas?
    • Clarke Sheen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012
        I don't know of any ebook editors that support formulae but here is a
        possible work around.

        1. Use an image editor like photoshop to create your formula and save
        it as a jpg file.

        2. Use an epub editor like Sigil (free) and import the original
        document you created (without the formulae) into Sigil using cut and paste

        3. Go to the point in your document where you want to insert a formula
        and import the jpg that contains it. You can right justify, left justify or
        centre the image as you see fit.

        4. Save the document and it will be readable in most ebook readers
        except Kindle.

        I realise that this might involve a whole new set of skills for you but it
        works for me.

        I have an MS Word document for some chemistry notes. Is there any kind of
        ebook reader, mp3 or mp4 player that will let me read this file as an MS
        Word document? It contains tables, subscripts and exponents so I cannot read
        it in txt or rtf format. Does anyone have any ideas?

        _____

        No virus found in this message.

        _____

        No virus found in this message.

      • Beth Young
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012
          Or you could print/save your word doc to pdf and then many readers will let
          you import/view the pdf. The resulting file is not as e-reader friendly as
          what Clark suggested, but it is quicker to create.

          Beth

          On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Clarke Sheen <csheen@...> wrote:

          > I don't know of any ebook editors that support formulae but here is a
          > possible work around.
          >

          > 1. Use an image editor like photoshop to create your formula and save
          > it as a jpg file.
          >
          > 2. Use an epub editor like Sigil (free) and import the original
          > document you created (without the formulae) into Sigil using cut and paste
          >
          > 3. Go to the point in your document where you want to insert a
          > formula
          > and import the jpg that contains it. You can right justify, left justify or
          > centre the image as you see fit.
          >
          > 4. Save the document and it will be readable in most ebook readers
          > except Kindle.
          >

          > I realise that this might involve a whole new set of skills for you but it
          > works for me.

        • Chris Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
            You didn't say this, but I'm guessng that you don't own a copy of MS Word.

            Microsoft publishes a free MS Word Viewer which you can use to read MS Word documents even though you you don't have the word processor itself.

            ... Chris

            jeaflor <jeaflor@...> wrote:

            >I have an MS Word document for some chemistry notes. Is there any kind
            >of ebook reader, mp3 or mp4 player that will let me read this file as
            >an MS Word document? It contains tables, subscripts and exponents so I
            >cannot read it in txt or rtf format. Does anyone have any ideas?

            >Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
            >Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
            >Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
            >Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *
            >
            >(* == yahoogroups.com)
            >-------------------------------------------------------Yahoo! Groups
            >Links

          • Richard Seltzer
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
              I'm used to dealing with such vendors as Barnes & Noble, Sony, and Kobo, by uploading epub files and image files together with spreadsheets based on their templates.

              Now, in trying to deal with Zola, I'm being asked to provide an "ONIX Feed".

              I don't understand what Zola is asking for, and the official ONIX documentation online is incomprehensible.

              All of our books are listed with Bowker (if that makes a difference).

              We have a master spreadsheet with all the important details about all of our books.

              We could do a search-and-replace to use ONIX codes instead of clear English for the metadata.

              But in what format does one normally provide the data for an "ONIX Feed"? And is it possible to convert an .xls spreadsheet to that format?

              And is the "Feed" itself simply an ftp upload? Or does it involve some other means of transferring metadata plus files?

              I suspect that we'll be seeing similar requests from other vendors in the future.

              Any help/clues would be greatly appreciated.

              Best wishes.

              Richard

              Richard Seltzer, B&R Samizdat Express, seltzer@..., 617-469-2269
              Ebooks by download -- Quench Editions http://www.samizdat.com/quencheditions/