Circumstantial Evidence Enough To Prove E-book Conspiracy

  • joseph harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 3:10 AM
      [Like many I have found myself relatively uninterested in this case, and

      hardly affected by it. But as this case advances I wonder if there is
      greater confusion than I had thought. I add part of the comment by
      Philip Glassman in PW. Admittedly the term ebooks is elastic, but the
      sale of access to a file, which is the Apple way, is hardly a
      description of most books sold in digital format. Proper definition of
      terms, and clarity on digital differences would surely show Apple and co
      providing an alternative in a highly competitive market. The publishers
      involved are no longer the dominant part of the market, and certainly
      not the ebooks market. Does anyone have views on this?]

      Lawsuit Says Circumstantial Evidence Enough To Prove E-book Conspiracy
      The plaintiffs who are accusing Apple and publishers of fixing e-book prices say they don't have to show an actual meeting took place
      http://www.booktrade.info/i.php/35953-39888
      http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/retailing/article/51339-twists-and-turns-in-class-action-pricing-lawsuit.html

      '...Where in all this is a consideration of the difference between
      selling a physical object -- a book -- that has to be paid for in a
      given period of time, whether or not the reseller has resold it and the
      selling of a intellectual property license to view an electronic file
      that the reseller does not ever own and never has to pay for until it
      the license is sold to the licensee. And even then, the licensee does
      not own the file -- they simply have purchased a right to view it. They
      have not purchased any rights to change, manipulate, or disseminate that
      file. ...'