Re: [ebook-community] Kindle E-book Piracy Accelerates

  • Robotech_Master
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2011
      On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM, joseph harris <smilepoet@...>wrote:

      > [This needs some thought
      >
      > Kindle E-book Piracy Accelerates
      > ---------------------
      > What should be alarming publishers is that the number of people pirating
      > books is growing along with the number of titles that are available for
      > download
      > http://www.booktrade.info/i.php/32110
      > http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20033437-82.html

      This reminds me of the way that, when you get a new car, you suddenly notice
      other cars of that model everywhere. There aren't any more cars of that
      model on the road than there were, but until you had one of them, you never
      had any reason to pay attention to them before.

      I remember seeing bundles of hundreds or thousands of books floating around
      on peer to peer years before the Kindle was even a twinkle in Jeff Bezos's
      eye. It's somewhere between funny and exasperating that it's suddenly a HUGE
      problem.

      --
      Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
      Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm

    • joseph harris
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
        From: "Robotech_Master"
        > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM, joseph harris
        >> What should be alarming publishers is that the number of people pirating
        >> books is growing along with the number of titles that are available for
        >> download
        >> http://www.booktrade.info/i.php/32110
        >> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20033437-82.html
        >

        > This reminds me of the way that, when you get a new car, you suddenly notice
        > other cars of that model everywhere. There aren't any more cars of that
        > model on the road than there were, but until you had one of them, you never
        > had any reason to pay attention to them before.
        >
        > I remember seeing bundles of hundreds or thousands of books floating around
        > on peer to peer years before the Kindle was even a twinkle in Jeff Bezos's
        > eye. It's somewhere between funny and exasperating that it's suddenly a HUGE
        > problem.
        >
        > --
        > Chris Meadows aka

        ;-) You're right, of course, Chris. But there are a couple of things to consider.

        Over the past decade the expansion of the net has multiplied the numbers of published writers and of publishers. It is interesting to see that there are few exceptions to worry about losing income to breach of their copyright. On other lists many newcomers ask how to stop this for their own works. It is the indicator that new publishing is going to be like old publishing!

        The (easily accessible) internet has brought two changes to piracy. One it has greater visibility, and two it is - progressively - easier to do. As we've discussed before the evidence points to breach as a civil matter changing to piracy in particular becoming criminal theft; the collision of these two makes it inevitable.

        And, just as those digits make theft easier, so they also make policing easier.

        Joseph