Re: [ebook-community] Re: Automating creation of eBooks in Mobipocket format

  • A. Lefkowitz
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2008
      Marion Gropen wrote:
      > On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:55 PM, A. Lefkowitz wrote:
      >

      >> In today's world, regardless of operating system you prefer,
      >> having a Windows machine is a necessity. There are windows
      >> emulators available for linux, but the performance hit may not be
      >> to your liking.
      >>

      > Oh, I disagree.
      >
      > There are some things that Mac machines don't do well (large scale
      > accounting systems for companies above the $10 million/year range,
      > perhaps).
      >
      > There are some things that CAN'T be done on anything like a Windows
      > or Mac.
      >
      > Most of the time, though, you can do pretty well with whatever OS
      > suits your fancy.

      Forgive me, my comments were directed at the enterprise. For
      personal use, any OS
      that suits the user is fine. However, if you are producing content, you
      had better make sure
      your stuff will be compatible with windows. The original poster's need
      to run .exe's is a case
      in point.

      a'
    • brianblumus
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2008
        I agree with you on Windows; I have two machines on my desk, one
        running Windows XP and the other a Mac. But here I'm talking about a
        dedicated server, which runs our website remotely using Linux, rather
        than a desktop machine.

        I could definitely use WINE or even Mobipocket Creator if it we were
        generating the eBooks locally. But the way our system works, every
        time a user of our web-based software uploads text and clicks
        "Publish," we automatically create HTML of the text which we then need
        to turn into a Mobipocket formatted eBook.

        Is there a way to generate Mobipocket eBooks this way? Will WINE work
        on a remote Linux server? Is there a Linux based utility that will
        convert from HTML to Mobipocket?

        Thanks for help on this technical question.

        Brian
        www.bloggerce.com

        --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, Marion Gropen
        <Marion.Gropen@...> wrote:

        > On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:55 PM, A. Lefkowitz wrote:
        >
        > > In today's world, regardless of operating system you prefer,
        > > having a Windows machine is a necessity. There are windows
        > > emulators available for linux, but the performance hit may not be
        > > to your liking.
        >

        > Oh, I disagree.
        >
        > There are some things that Mac machines don't do well (large scale
        > accounting systems for companies above the $10 million/year range,
        > perhaps).
        >
        > There are some things that CAN'T be done on anything like a Windows
        > or Mac.
        >
        > Most of the time, though, you can do pretty well with whatever OS
        > suits your fancy.
        >
        > As for my credentials in this area: I started out in physics in the
        > 80s, programming on machines that ranged from the ones with punch
        > cards to the room-sized ones with spinning tape drives. I've worked
        > on boxes with a range of OS including DOS, Classic Mac, Mac OSX,
        > Windows (in various flavors including NT, but not Vista), and a
        > number of truly archaic IBM systems.
        >
        > IMNHO, it's like accounting software, or shoes -- you have to pick
        > the ones you feel comfortable with, because if they pinch, it's awful.
        >
        > Marion Gropen
        > Gropen Associates, Inc.
        > www.GropenAssoc.com
        > Offering Financial Advice By-The-Question,
        > Downloadable Profit-Enhancing Tools,
        > and Classes to the Small Press Community.

      • JB Glad
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2008
          I have been making both encrypted and unencrypted Mobipocket (prc) files for
          several publishers for about five years, using Mobipocket Creator and its
          predecessor. I have never had a problem with formatting not rendering or
          graphics not staying in place. That may be because I start with a 'clean'
          html file, lacking any of the more sophisticated formatting like curly
          quotes. I've even used tables on one occasion and they came out fine in prc,
          except that I had to do some minor tweaking to make them look good on a
          small screen.

          I truly believe that the more extraneous code you have in the file you begin
          with, the better your chances of getting a resulting mess are.

          By the way, it usually takes me 5-10 minutes to build a prc file with
          Creator, and that's because there's a lot of metadata to input.

          Jude

        • Arnold Bailey
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2008
            If you have local capability to put up a Web Service you could have the
            dedicated server "phone home" and request conversion from your local
            machine. Also simplifies deployment because you don't have to worry about
            getting it to run on the dedicated server with the restriction most hosting
            companies have.

            <Marion.Gropen@...> wrote:

            > On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:55 PM, A. Lefkowitz wrote:
            >
            > > In today's world, regardless of operating system you prefer,
            > > having a Windows machine is a necessity. There are windows
            > > emulators available for linux, but the performance hit may not be
            > > to your liking.
            >

            > Oh, I disagree.
            >
            > There are some things that Mac machines don't do well (large scale
            > accounting systems for companies above the $10 million/year range,
            > perhaps).
            >
            > There are some things that CAN'T be done on anything like a Windows
            > or Mac.
            >
            > Most of the time, though, you can do pretty well with whatever OS
            > suits your fancy.
            >
            > As for my credentials in this area: I started out in physics in the
            > 80s, programming on machines that ranged from the ones with punch
            > cards to the room-sized ones with spinning tape drives. I've worked
            > on boxes with a range of OS including DOS, Classic Mac, Mac OSX,
            > Windows (in various flavors including NT, but not Vista), and a
            > number of truly archaic IBM systems.
            >
            > IMNHO, it's like accounting software, or shoes -- you have to pick
            > the ones you feel comfortable with, because if they pinch, it's awful.
            >
            > Marion Gropen
            > Gropen Associates, Inc.
            > www.GropenAssoc.com
            > Offering Financial Advice By-The-Question,
            > Downloadable Profit-Enhancing Tools,
            > and Classes to the Small Press Community.

            Switch to digest: ebook-community-digest [[at]] *
            Switch to normal: ebook-community-normal [[at]] *
            Put mail on hold: ebook-community-nomail [[at]] *
            Administrator: ebook-community-owner [[at]] *

            (* == yahoogroups.com)
            -------------------------------------------------------Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Marion Gropen
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2008
              On May 1, 2008, at 4:09 AM, A. Lefkowitz wrote:
              >> =
              >> Oh, I disagree.
              >>
              >> There are some things that Mac machines don't do well (large scale
              >> accounting systems for companies above the $10 million/year range,
              >> perhaps).
              >>
              >> There are some things that CAN'T be done on anything like a Windows
              >> or Mac.
              >>
              >> Most of the time, though, you can do pretty well with whatever OS
              >> suits your fancy.
              >>

              > Forgive me, my comments were directed at the enterprise. For
              > personal use, any OS
              > that suits the user is fine. However, if you are producing
              > content, you
              > had better make sure
              > your stuff will be compatible with windows. The original poster's
              > need
              > to run .exe's is a case
              > in point.

              Being compatible cross-platform is rather different than having a
              Windows box. And the .exe strongly suggests that the producer of that
              ebook didn't care about compatibility with anything other than
              Windows. That lets out 1/6 or more of the possible market.

              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2008
                On May 1, 2008, at 7:52 AM, brianblumus wrote:

                > I agree with you on Windows; I have two machines on my desk, one
                > running Windows XP and the other a Mac. But here I'm talking about a
                > dedicated server, which runs our website remotely using Linux, rather
                > than a desktop machine.
                >
                > I could definitely use WINE or even Mobipocket Creator if it we were
                > generating the eBooks locally. But the way our system works, every
                > time a user of our web-based software uploads text and clicks
                > "Publish," we automatically create HTML of the text which we then need
                > to turn into a Mobipocket formatted eBook.
                >
                > Is there a way to generate Mobipocket eBooks this way? Will WINE work
                > on a remote Linux server? Is there a Linux based utility that will
                > convert from HTML to Mobipocket?

                I don't know about creation utilities, but I suspect that the
                simplest way might be to run Bootcamp or something similar.
                (Bootcamp runs on the Mac 'nix version)

                Marion Gropen
                Gropen Associates, Inc.
                www.GropenAssoc.com
                Offering Financial Advice By-The-Question,
                Downloadable Profit-Enhancing Tools,
                and Classes to the Small Press Community.
              • Mary E Tyler
                Message 7 of 17 , May 4, 2008
                  > Forgive me, my comments were directed at the enterprise. For
                  > personal use, any OS
                  > that suits the user is fine. However, if you are producing content,
                  > you
                  > had better make sure
                  > your stuff will be compatible with windows. The original poster's need
                  > to run .exe's is a case
                  > in point.

                  However, we are talking about a **web server** , which in the real
                  world is likely running Linux and Apache. Clearly, Mobi Pocket's
                  software is for the desktop environment where Windows and Mac and
                  Linux all compete--most small software providers just support Windows
                  and Mac and Linux can go screw themselves. It's not a new phenomenon.
                  However, in the world of web servers, Linux still rules with IIS a
                  distant second.

                  dej, catching up on email...
                  Learn to use Google Analytics to make your web site more effective.
                  Buy my book! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047017501X/
                  "I loathe writing. On the other hand I'm a great believer in money."
                  -- S.J. Perelman
                  In the midst of winter, I finally realized that deep within me there
                  lay an invincible summer.
                  --Albert Camus
                  I am Writer, hear me Pontificate!