Questions on print self-publishing...

  • Jon Noring
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2008
      Everyone,

      Although most publishers who participate in the eBook Community are
      primarily ebook publishers, I know several here are also quite
      familiar with print publishing, and do both.

      I just submitted a message to the "Self-Publishing" YahooGroup
      (message appended below) asking for answers on some print publishing
      questions, and you are welcome to provide private feedback. (Not sure
      if the message will be approved to "Self-Publishing", but hopefully
      it will.)

      If you have any ebook-related public comments you'd like to make to
      this group about the message below, feel free to post them.

      Thanks!

      Jon Noring

      (posted to Self-Publishing group...)

      Everyone,

      A dear friend of mine wants to publish a book she wrote about her
      childhood in Cuba up to the time she fled with her family when Castro
      took power (quite a story!)

      She is stubbornly adamant she wants it printed as a book and is very
      intrigued with Vantage Press. <groan/> (Yes, I am familiar with the
      downsides of vanity publishing so no need to rail on that.)

      Since I run a long-time e-book publishing business (founded in 1993)
      and am also closely associated with another e-book publisher and
      retailer, I would like to propose to her some alternative strategies
      which might save her some money and/or accomplish her goals of
      producing a print version as well as getting the book better marketing
      exposure in e-book form. (I could use my publishing business as the
      umbrella for her book -- I've got a whole boatload of ISBN's that
      likely will never be used in my e-book publishing business.)

      Of course, the obvious approach is POD (Lulu? Your suggestions are
      requested.)

      Another approach is offset printing (or even letterpress.) If a
      pre-press PDF is produced of her book, how much would it approximately
      cost to produce a run of 1000 hardcover (approximately 200 pages in
      length)? Or is this prohibitively expensive? (Since she plans to give
      Vantage almost $13,000!, she is clearly willing to spend some money --
      I suspect $13,000 might cover such a print run, but not sure -- as far
      as I know there will be no illustrations.) And can the same PDF be
      used for both POD and for offset printing? (I suspect not; would like
      to learn though...)

      Contact me in private if you offer, or recommend someone who offers,
      the service of producing a high-quality PDF (I assume using InDesign
      or similar high-typographic quality desktop publishing tool) for both
      POD and offset printing.

      Thanks!

      Jon Noring