Re: [ebook-community] Re: Step Backwards from Penguin

  • Mary E. Tyler
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 1, 2007
      > You're right, Mary, in general. But I'd still maintain that 5000
      > copies is probably a pretty good rule of thumb for indicating
      > whether a general interest title is significantly profitable for a
      > large publisher. While it may not apply to tech books, it certainly
      > does to almost all other trade book segments, both fiction and non-
      > fiction.

      No, I think this is a good point. A book that sells 5K copies is
      probably profitable for a large publisher.

      But if that was the point you were trying to make, I TOTALLY missed it.

      > Averages don't give the whole story. That's true. They are a weak
      > rule of thumb that anyone can use.

      I do think in that case that averages particularly distort this
      situation. They make false hope for starry-eyed "self-publishers" who
      buy the services of the POD vanities. They reduce the meaning of
      people who do actually sell a decent number of copies (I once figured
      self-publishing my book--not POD vanity, but using POD printing--
      would break even around 200 copies (not necessarily a good RoT for a
      professional publisher). Five thousand copies would have been quite
      profitable. For a large publisher with higher overhead? Dunno.

      > Beyond that, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

      Exactly the one you are. We are not communicating very well.

      dej

      Learn to use Google Analytics to make your web site more effective.
      Buy my book! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470053852/
      "I loathe writing. On the other hand I'm a great believer in money."
      -- S.J. Perelman
      In the midst of winter, I finally realized that deep within me there
      lay an invincible summer.
      --Albert Camus
      I am Writer, hear me Pontificate!
    • Kent S. Larsen II
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 7, 2007
        At 2:43 AM +0000 11/8/07, Rick Brooks wrote:

        >I'm sorry, Kent, but I do not agree with you.
        >
        >I can't see Wilcat Press as a vanity press simply because they use
        >lulu.com to print and distribute their books.

        I never said any such thing. I said Lulu is a vanity press.

        Just because a press uses Lulu as a printer doesn't make them a vanity press.

        It may make them foolish, given that Wildcat Press could get the same work
        done by LSI for less than half what they are paying to Lulu, but it doesn't
        make them a vanity press themselves.

        Being a vanity press arises from your policies, not from who or where you
        print.

        Lulu's policies make it a vanity press. But their customers aren't
        necessarily vanity presses.

        Kent