Apple's new iPod Touch

  • Bill Janssen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2007
      Apple's just released a new 16GB flash iPod with WiFi and built-in
      Safari browser and the iPhone UI, basically the iPhone without a
      cell-phone radio in it, for $400 ($300 for 8GB). It apparently
      has Youtube, but not mail support.

      http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

      Now, install a version of Safari on that that includes Google Gears,
      add a Javascript ebook reader that uses the Gears API, and you have
      a very nice little connected/disconnected reading machine.

      http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/BuildingGearsForSafari

      Bill
    • rnmscott@netspace.net.au
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2007
        So this is another thing you can't put files on directly, then, hence the need
        for that?

        Quoting Bill Janssen <bill@...>:

        > Apple's just released a new 16GB flash iPod with WiFi and built-in
        > Safari browser and the iPhone UI, basically the iPhone without a
        > cell-phone radio in it, for $400 ($300 for 8GB). It apparently
        > has Youtube, but not mail support.
        >
        > http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
        >
        > Now, install a version of Safari on that that includes Google Gears,
        > add a Javascript ebook reader that uses the Gears API, and you have
        > a very nice little connected/disconnected reading machine.
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/BuildingGearsForSafari
        >
        > Bill

        This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au
      • Bill Janssen
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2007
          > So this is another thing you can't put files on directly, then, hence the need
          > for that?

          It's actually pretty easy to put files on it. It's just hard to write
          apps for it. The browser plus Gears is a fairly nice combo that will
          work in lots of places.

          Bill
        • Mary E. Tyler
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            On 5 Sep 2007, at 3:09 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

            > Apple's just released a new 16GB flash iPod with WiFi and built-in
            > Safari browser and the iPhone UI, basically the iPhone without a
            > cell-phone radio in it, for $400 ($300 for 8GB). It apparently
            > has Youtube, but not mail support.
            >
            > http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
            >
            > Now, install a version of Safari on that that includes Google Gears,

            Even if they don't you can still read HTML ebooks on it. How many
            years have I been saying that the iPod is the ebook killer app?

            dej

            Learn to use Google Analytics to make your web site more effective.
            Buy my book! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470053852/
            "I loathe writing. On the other hand I'm a great believer in money."
            -- S.J. Perelman
            In the midst of winter, I finally realized that deep within me there
            lay an invincible summer.
            --Albert Camus
            I am Writer, hear me Pontificate!
          • Bill Janssen
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              Although, looking at the whole product line-up, I think I'd still go
              for the iPhone. You don't have to use it as a phone, but if you want
              to, you can, and you get the camera, Google Maps, weather app, and the
              stocks app, none of which are on the iPod Touch. True, the iPod has
              16GB (for $400) compared to only 8GB on the iPhone (for $400), but I
              don't really see that difference as significant here.

              Maybe they'll add the missing apps to the iPod as well.

              Bill
            • Chris Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Mary E. Tyler wrote:

                > Even if they don't you can still read HTML ebooks on it. How
                > many years have I been saying that the iPod is the ebook killer
                > app?

                Since the iPod Touch is basically a computer with a simplified
                case, it can do a splendid job on HTML ebooks. But the classic
                iPods - with their 4k per file limitation and no imbedded images
                - are unlikely to start that revolution.

                And as long as the classic iPods can offer significantly better
                audio and video run time while also offering a lower price per
                storage gigabyte -- by more than a factor of TEN -- the classic
                iPod will still be popular for a while.

                At their cores, the classic iPods are much more hardware than
                software - we need to freeze HTML for five years, so that someone
                can build an HTML chip without worrying it will go out of date
                due to HTML5. (HTML6?)

                :: chris smith ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                :: ne catapultae tam munitum quod non expugnari pecuna possit :::
              • Bill Janssen
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                  I thought dej was saying, "to make an ebook reader really successful,
                  also make it an iPod"; which is different from saying that the iPods
                  were great ebook readers.

                  > And as long as the classic iPods can offer significantly better
                  > audio and video run time while also offering a lower price per
                  > storage gigabyte -- by more than a factor of TEN -- the classic
                  > iPod will still be popular for a while.

                  Though there's a real difference between the amount of storage needed
                  on an inherently disconnected device like the iPod Classic, and an
                  often-connected device like the iPhone. The software and support
                  systems aren't there yet, but the storage on a connected device will
                  be more of a cache of what the system thinks you may want in the near
                  future, than a collection of everything you may ever want.

                  I guess what I'm saying is that adding radios radically lowers the
                  importance of the price per gigabyte (or will, when the systems
                  support catches up). People will decide between the two classes
                  of systems largely on other design points.

                  > At their cores, the classic iPods are much more hardware than
                  > software - we need to freeze HTML for five years, so that someone
                  > can build an HTML chip without worrying it will go out of date
                  > due to HTML5. (HTML6?)

                  HTML *has* been frozen for five years (longer, actually) while the
                  world fixated on XML. HTML5 is an attempt to unfreeze it.

                  Bill
                • Mary E. Tyler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
                    On 7 Sep 2007, at 2:36 AM, Bill Janssen wrote:

                    > I thought dej was saying, "to make an ebook reader really successful,
                    > also make it an iPod"; which is different from saying that the iPods
                    > were great ebook readers.

                    What I was saying is that if the iPod gains the ability to read
                    ebooks, It will be our killer app. Not that it is. Just that it
                    certainly could be. The iPhone even moreso. it has a bigger screen.